AH-64D Griffin Campaign [Version002] [Gulf of Oman] [MP, COOP 2-8]

On 2/12/2023 at 2:51 PM, Mistermann said:

Flew the correct second mission last night (M01) and had an absolute blast.  From a MP perspective, it might have been the best experience I've had in DCS.  We all fly a bird and leave the hellfires to George.  

We encountered a trigger issue upon entry to the mission that told the first person in game that the game was over (great music, btw!!).

[=GAME OVER=]

<---INSERT COIN TO CONTINUE

I deleted the player death trigger and we restarted without any issues.  For anyone playing in MP, below is the trigger I removed.  There are no flags impacted by this removal, so I figured it was a benign change to the overall mission itself.

image.png

Below are some observations

Reveal hidden contents
  • WOW ... action started almost right away.  A real change of pace from M00 and M02.  Nice!
  • My buddies and I suffer from a real RTFM (M=Mission) problem and thought we were flying to WP1 to meet a convoy.  We couldn't find anyone and assumed incorrectly that they already started moving -- we didn't leave the FARP right away and were worried they were moving into danger.  We moved towards WP2 and all hell broke loose.  It wasn't until we eliminated the enemy at WP3 and WP4 that we realized the F10 option needed to trigger the convoy.  DOH!! 
    • I'll be more careful as we progress through the rest of these missions.  Once we released the convoy, the voiceovers were a little out of place, but we all knew what they were reacting to.  We will likely replay this mission.
  • The "R" rated language is something that appeals to my group.  @Dagobert666, thanks for having the courage to "go there" with your voiceovers.  We all got a kick out of some of the motivational phrases you chose.

The state of this campaign is listed as "BETA" and was posted in May of 2022.  Is this still being worked on?

image.png

So far, me and my mates have spent close to 10 hours playing through the first 3 missions and have had a blast.  We are all looking forward to playing the remaining missions.  Great job on making the missions tie together, yet provide a unique experience for each.  Thanks for spending the time creating this, Dagobert666.

1)First of all I would like to say thank you very much! I'm honestly happy to hear that you're really enjoying my campaign. As a mission builder there is nothing better to hear. Thanks 🙂   

2) On the subject of R language: I was in the military myself. And without such language it would be absolutely away from any realism. When you're on a mission, every second word is a swear word of the worst kind. XD

3)At the moment DCS has little priority in my life so I'm not working on the campaign right now..... But it also runs quite well, as far as I can tell.

4)Once the Longbow Radar is out, I plan a campaign on the Syria map.

• Like 3

I've flown the entire campaign with some buddies and we had a blast! Absolutely top notch, good briefings, triggers worked well. Thank you so much!

Luckily I'm re-flying it with another group of people and one mission in they all seem to like it as well; I'm definitely looking forward to flying it again.

I must say, the Text-to-Speech does a really good job, it's quite astonishing how much this technology has evolved. That said, if you managed to find volunteers to record the dialog for you, it would make the missions even better. 😉

Just recently started the campaign with the guys.  Really enjoying it so far! We are all recording in VR.  This was the first mission/transit flight to the FARP.  We are looking forward to the next mission this Thursday.  I would be lying if I did not admit it will be a replay.  We missed the instructions where we had to give the convoy the green light to move out. All 3 of us are fired up to get it on again.  

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 9:56 AM, Dagobert666 said:

1)First of all I would like to say thank you very much! I'm honestly happy to hear that you're really enjoying my campaign. As a mission builder there is nothing better to hear. Thanks 🙂   

You bet!!  I love building missions myself and have built a number of MP missions for my friends and I.  Completely agree with your take.  Hearing the guys enjoy my creation gives me a real charge.  Heck, after 6 months, we still play one of the missions (Hornet) due to the random events built into it so it plays differently pretty much every time we play it.  Really cool.  The power of the ME is really amazing.

2) On the subject of R language: I was in the military myself. And without such language it would be absolutely away from any realism. When you're on a mission, every second word is a swear word of the worst kind. XD

We're all prior service and get it.  We record most of our flights and believe me, the audio from us is NSFW and very R rated.  😇

On 2/13/2023 at 11:24 AM, Yurgon said:

I must say, the Text-to-Speech does a really good job, it's quite astonishing how much this technology has evolved. That said, if you managed to find volunteers to record the dialog for you, it would make the missions even better. 😉

I'm happy to help here.  So is my wife.  We helped Bagder633 with VO on his Serpent's Head campaign so have some experience doing this.  We also do the VO work for the missions I create for my flying buddies.  While I've used the TTS services from Microsoft and Google before, you just can't get the proper emotion and voice cadence when compared to natural speech.  @Dagobert666, while it takes more of your time to coordinate VO actors, the end result would up the immersion factor in your missions tremendously.  I'll attach an example of a track I recorded for our most recent Warthog mission that gives a sense on what I mean.  If you ever need VO help, I'll bet you could ask for volunteers and have more than enough actors to do what you want.  Especially given the quality of the missions you've created.

4)Once the Longbow Radar is out, I plan a campaign on the Syria map.

Sounds good.  My group is contemplating putting in the effort to create a sharable MP campaign like yours for the new Sinai map.  Just talk right now, but drawing inspiration from your awesome creation.  Thanks for doing it!

Below are a few comments regarding M01 - Convoy mission

Spoiler

The three of us flew this a couple nights ago.  Technically we "re-flew" it since our first effort didn't spawn the convoy (we didn't kick it off via F10 radio option).  Unfortunately the mission logic (more appropriately DCS AI) let us down.

We started by flying over to WP1 and giving the command to release the convoy via F10 options.  As we watched the convoy start down the road towards the roadblock we got the radio call to look out for the Land Rover.  What we didn't realize was the land rover was mobile and not at the roadblock (constructive feedback here - the radio call telling us about the land rover could be a bit more clear regarding where it is and the fact that it is on the road heading towards the convoy).  We all flew direct to the roadblock (not following the road) which was a big mistake on our part since it meant we missed the mobile Land Rover on the road.

What we didn't realize until reviewing TacView afterwards:

1. The convoy stopped moving pretty much right away.  They just stopped for no reason and never moved afterwards.  Meaning the convoy just sat on the road (just outside their initial spawn) the entire mission.  EDIT:  I ran the mission again and the convoy gets stuck in the "Firebase" and refuses to move.  They appear to get stuck inside the statics.  I solved the problem by moving the convoy's WP1 to the Northwest of the Firebase.  image.png
  2. Since we missed the mobile land rover, it triggered the convoy AI when it got close.  The convoy AI engaged and eliminated.

We mopped up all the resistance along the intended convoy path and we "completed" the mission, but it was a little less satisfying because the convoy never made it to the first checkpoint let alone complete their travels to the trigger telling us the mission was a success.

Anyone reading this before playing/re-playing M01 - DON'T let the moving land rover get to the convoy.  It isn't at the roadblock or even just moved adjacent to it.  It is making a beeline to the convoy on the only road connecting the roadblock to the convoy spawn point.

I'd also recommend staying close to the convoy to ensure they don't get stuck (not that you can do anything about it).  It's also the main point of the mission, so maybe that advice is more for me and my mates!!  LOL.

Edited by Mistermann
Updated with reason the convoy doesn't move.
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Another good time running the second mission.  A few issues with the convoy triggering correctly but all in all a blast.  Already did the third mission.  I will be getting be getting a video up soon.  I will go in and add time stamps as well.  I messed up on the first run and did not have Channel bravo selected.  My Hellfire's were going off into space and it cost me my first helo.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 2:51 PM, Mistermann said:

You bet!!  I love building missions myself and have built a number of MP missions for my friends and I.  Completely agree with your take.  Hearing the guys enjoy my creation gives me a real charge.  Heck, after 6 months, we still play one of the missions (Hornet) due to the random events built into it so it plays differently pretty much every time we play it.  Really cool.  The power of the ME is really amazing.

We're all prior service and get it.  We record most of our flights and believe me, the audio from us is NSFW and very R rated.  😇

I'm happy to help here.  So is my wife.  We helped Bagder633 with VO on his Serpent's Head campaign so have some experience doing this.  We also do the VO work for the missions I create for my flying buddies.  While I've used the TTS services from Microsoft and Google before, you just can't get the proper emotion and voice cadence when compared to natural speech.  @Dagobert666, while it takes more of your time to coordinate VO actors, the end result would up the immersion factor in your missions tremendously.  I'll attach an example of a track I recorded for our most recent Warthog mission that gives a sense on what I mean.  If you ever need VO help, I'll bet you could ask for volunteers and have more than enough actors to do what you want.  Especially given the quality of the missions you've created.

Sounds good.  My group is contemplating putting in the effort to create a sharable MP campaign like yours for the new Sinai map.  Just talk right now, but drawing inspiration from your awesome creation.  Thanks for doing it!

Below are a few comments regarding M01 - Convoy mission

Reveal hidden contents

The three of us flew this a couple nights ago.  Technically we "re-flew" it since our first effort didn't spawn the convoy (we didn't kick it off via F10 radio option).  Unfortunately the mission logic (more appropriately DCS AI) let us down.

We started by flying over to WP1 and giving the command to release the convoy via F10 options.  As we watched the convoy start down the road towards the roadblock we got the radio call to look out for the Land Rover.  What we didn't realize was the land rover was mobile and not at the roadblock (constructive feedback here - the radio call telling us about the land rover could be a bit more clear regarding where it is and the fact that it is on the road heading towards the convoy).  We all flew direct to the roadblock (not following the road) which was a big mistake on our part since it meant we missed the mobile Land Rover on the road.

What we didn't realize until reviewing TacView afterwards:

1. The convoy stopped moving pretty much right away.  They just stopped for no reason and never moved afterwards.  Meaning the convoy just sat on the road (just outside their initial spawn) the entire mission.  EDIT:  I ran the mission again and the convoy gets stuck in the "Firebase" and refuses to move.  They appear to get stuck inside the statics.  I solved the problem by moving the convoy's WP1 to the Northwest of the Firebase.  image.png
  2. Since we missed the mobile land rover, it triggered the convoy AI when it got close.  The convoy AI engaged and eliminated.

We mopped up all the resistance along the intended convoy path and we "completed" the mission, but it was a little less satisfying because the convoy never made it to the first checkpoint let alone complete their travels to the trigger telling us the mission was a success.

Anyone reading this before playing/re-playing M01 - DON'T let the moving land rover get to the convoy.  It isn't at the roadblock or even just moved adjacent to it.  It is making a beeline to the convoy on the only road connecting the roadblock to the convoy spawn point.

I'd also recommend staying close to the convoy to ensure they don't get stuck (not that you can do anything about it).  It's also the main point of the mission, so maybe that advice is more for me and my mates!!  LOL.

On 2/21/2023 at 10:01 PM, Devil 505 said:

Another good time running the second mission.  A few issues with the convoy triggering correctly but all in all a blast.  Already did the third mission.  I will be getting be getting a video up soon.  I will go in and add time stamps as well.  I messed up on the first run and did not have Channel bravo selected.  My Hellfire's were going off into space and it cost me my first helo.

Patchday!
So there is a new version to download.

That should solve the M01 Convoy problem for now.

But that's not my fault.
We (my group) flew the mission the most of all others. And we never had any problems.
Suddenly the convoy always hangs in the firebase. ED must have messed that up. In any of the last paches. No idea maybe a hitbox changed or something in the Convoy logic.  
The patch also includes bug fixes for other missions. Tip: whenever it doesn't go any further, check Comunication F10 "other" tab. Often there is a command to continue.

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm 🙂

Edited by Dagobert666
  • Thanks 1

• Dagobert666 changed the title to AH-64D Griffin Campaign [Version002] [Gulf of Oman] [MP, COOP 2-8]
5 hours ago, Dagobert666 said:

Patchday!
So there is a new version to download.

That should solve the M02 Convoy problem for now.

Thanks!  Yeah, I went in a made changes the other day - moved the convoy's first stop beyond the firebase to prevent the convoy from getting tangled up.  I suspect that's similar to what you just uploaded.  Future players will appreciate this update.

But that's not my fault.
We (my group) flew the mission the most of all others. And we never had any problems.
Suddenly the convoy always hangs in the firebase. ED must have messed that up. In any of the last patches. No idea maybe a hitbox changed or something in the Convoy logic.  

Don't worry, @Dagobert666.  We completely understand how DCS logic changes can impact existing missions.  We will likely go back and play that mission once we're through the whole experience.  We've flown it 3x now and had a blast every time - even without the convoy!  🤩

The patch also includes bug fixes for other missions. Tip: whenever it doesn't go any further, check Communication F10 "other" tab. Often there is a command to continue.

Outstanding!!  We just flew and finished the M03 Marathon mission last night.  Videos are being uploaded and processed on YT as I write this.  I ended up with a close encounter with some power lines that took me out as we were assaulting the base.  Bummer for me, but great fun for all.

I'll be on the lookout for more F10 radio interactions.  Thanks!

EDIT - Downloaded the patch, Dagobert688 - what are these new mission files?  

image.png

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

5 hours ago, Mistermann said:

Thanks!  Yeah, I went in a made changes the other day - moved the convoy's first stop beyond the firebase to prevent the convoy from getting tangled up.  I suspect that's similar to what you just uploaded.  Future players will appreciate this update.

Don't worry, @Dagobert666.  We completely understand how DCS logic changes can impact existing missions.  We will likely go back and play that mission once we're through the whole experience.  We've flown it 3x now and had a blast every time - even without the convoy!  🤩

Outstanding!!  We just flew and finished the M03 Marathon mission last night.  Videos are being uploaded and processed on YT as I write this.  I ended up with a close encounter with some power lines that took me out as we were assaulting the base.  Bummer for me, but great fun for all.

I'll be on the lookout for more F10 radio interactions.  Thanks!

EDIT - Downloaded the patch, Dagobert688 - what are these new mission files?  

image.png

Ups....forget the MXX... these are just my templates. So that I don't have to completely rebuild every FOB or FARP for every mission. I accidentally copied it...

• Thanks 1

I have this listed as mission 3 but it is actually M02 CSAR.  I will label last nights per the way you have them in the campaign.  Another great flight.  We are getting better at working together.  Last nights went even better.  A long transit but had a blast.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

I have this listed as mission 3 but it is actually M02 CSAR.  I will label last nights per the way you have them in the campaign.  Another great flight.  We are getting better at working together.  Last nights went even better.  A long transit but had a blast.

Thanks for posting, Devil505.  Its neat to see this from your vantage point.  

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

My buddies and I have been playing this for a couple of weeks now.  @Dagobert666, your creation is top notch.  I'd be proud to call this my own and draw inspiration to do a MP Apache campaign for the community sometime in the future.  Possibly on Sinai map with Apaches and Kiowas.  Simply in the "dreaming" state right now.  

Below is a link to the mission we flew (M03) the other night.  Maybe others find value in it.  We record our flights with a software called OBS as it can capture our VR headset output nicely.  We flew M04 last night.  Videos being uploaded to YT today and will be linked in this thread when processed.

Thoughts on how to make the videos better are welcomed.  Chat envelope and voice volume addressed for next video.  😉

Thanks.

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Here's a link to the next mission we flew over the weekend

• Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Flew M05 last night.  @Dagobert666, awesome experience!  Anyone reading this here likely already knows what an incredible campaign this is given this thread is tucked away in the far corner of ED's Apache content.  If you happen to be someone yet to download and play this with friends, do yourself a favor and download it right now (link in first post).

This mission has us escorting a SEAL team into a hot LZ with the express purpose of securing some documents and getting the heck out.  Without a doubt, one of the best missions I've experienced in MP!  Take a look below.

• Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

On 3/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, Mistermann said:

Flew M05 last night.  @Dagobert666, awesome experience!  Anyone reading this here likely already knows what an incredible campaign this is given this thread is tucked away in the far corner of ED's Apache content.  If you happen to be someone yet to download and play this with friends, do yourself a favor and download it right now (link in first post).

This mission has us escorting a SEAL team into a hot LZ with the express purpose of securing some documents and getting the heck out.  Without a doubt, one of the best missions I've experienced in MP!  Take a look below.

Had a great time flying with you gents! Hands down the best mission so far flying the Apache with you guys.  I am digging the effect with the NOD's on and the fire fight that broke out over the compound.  Really hoping ED starts focusing more on some realistic looking ground AI units.  Some that actually look like Seals and SF ect...

M05 with the boys.  We had a storm roll through town just before the flight and I had a few drinks to ride it out with the wife.  Completely forgot when we cranked up to unmute OBS so no voice chatter from me.  Mistermann caught though on his video. 

Great job on this mission! Absolutely had a blast with it. 

• Like 3

Hey @Dagobert666we flew M06 last night and used ADF to return.  LOVE WHAT YOU DID!

Hopefully it comes through in the video I'll post later today 😃.  Me and my mates are quickly approaching the end of this outstanding campaign and trying to find our next Apache MP campaign experience.  You've set the expectation bar high for whatever we choose, that's for sure.  Thanks for this DCS gem.

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Here's the video from M06 for anyone interested.  Super fun!  Action started pretty much right away and the three of us felt in sync for the most part.  We all play in VR using the Pimax 8Kx.  While the video looks good, it doesn't come close to capturing the immersion and feeling of "being there" we get first hand.  If there's anyone wondering if VR is worth it, it absolutely is. 

Enjoy the video.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

On 3/11/2023 at 12:24 AM, Mistermann said:

Here's the video from M06 for anyone interested.  Super fun!  Action started pretty much right away and the three of us felt in sync for the most part.  We all play in VR using the Pimax 8Kx.  While the video looks good, it doesn't come close to capturing the immersion and feeling of "being there" we get first hand.  If there's anyone wondering if VR is worth it, it absolutely is. 

Enjoy the video.

Thanks for the video. The action is really cool 🙂

May I give some manover criticism?^^

Spoiler

Only blue units were on WP01, it is the blue forward HQ with the artillery position.
The reason why Abrams were displayed in red can actually only be that you had some blue on blue action beforehand.
Iran only had old Russian equipment, at most T72.

But otherwise it was flown great by you.

Thanks for the video. The action is really cool 🙂

May I give some manover criticism?^^

Spoiler

Only blue units were on WP01, it is the blue forward HQ with the artillery position.
The reason why Abrams were displayed in red can actually only be that you had some blue on blue action beforehand.
Iran only had old Russian equipment, at most T72.

But otherwise it was flown great by you.

Thanks for the feedback, @Dagobert666

I had a feeling we were raining down on our own guys there near WP01.  One of my own critiques of our playstyle is we often don't plan out our activity ahead of time.  I'll have to checkout the TacView and see who did what there at WP01 and what Blue-on-Blue event(s) occurred.   

Spoiler

Watched TacView

All three of us had Blue on Blue events at WP01.  We're all getting pulled in front of the review board after this performance.  Now I know how I got so far out in front of the guys.  They circled back over the Blue HQ expecting something to happen, as I pressed onto the Target.  

Really appreciate you following along and giving us tips/feedback.  I'm hoping the guys can post their videos soon so I can see the mission from their perspective.  

Edited by Mistermann
Watched TacView

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 2 weeks later...

We completed M08 last night.  None of our videos for M07 rendered properly.  I had my audio source incorrectly configured in OBS and came away with no game sounds and no comms.  Not worth the effort to produce and upload.

So we’re onto M08.  An ADF mission to find a Senior General’s convoy somewhere on the map and eliminate.  Pretty neat storyline setup as it ties us back to the SEAL team mission back on M05.  The briefing suggests we provide time for our forces to arrive at WP1 so they can clear a path.  Get there too early and we’ll face insurmountable odds.  Arrive late and the Senior General likely escapes.

Really fun mission.  Onto the last one.  We’re all pretty bummed we’re at the end and will definitely fly this campaign again sometime.  Its worth experiencing it again!

After watching some other Apache videos out there, I removed the IHADDS display.  Personally, I think this looks much better on video.  In game (VR), I barely notice the frame isn’t there.  I do see the right MFD much better, however.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

1 hour ago, glen.a.williamson said:

I have realy enjoyed watching you missions ... very entertaining to watch, and, I think I learned a lot in the process. Thanks

Thanks!  It makes me happy to hear that.  We learn a tremendous amount by recording our missions.  We get to see what went well and what didn't go so well.  It also gives us a chance to discuss what happened without our failing memories getting in the way.  🤣

We absolutely love flying DCS and the enjoyment of doing it together as buddies.  As you can tell, we have a blast flying together.  We are so fortunate that someone like @Dagobert666put this campaign together.  

Thanks for watching!

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

On 3/24/2023 at 6:27 PM, Mistermann said:

We completed M08 last night.  None of our videos for M07 rendered properly.  I had my audio source incorrectly configured in OBS and came away with no game sounds and no comms.  Not worth the effort to produce and upload.

So we’re onto M08.  An ADF mission to find a Senior General’s convoy somewhere on the map and eliminate.  Pretty neat storyline setup as it ties us back to the SEAL team mission back on M05.  The briefing suggests we provide time for our forces to arrive at WP1 so they can clear a path.  Get there too early and we’ll face insurmountable odds.  Arrive late and the Senior General likely escapes.

Really fun mission.  Onto the last one.  We’re all pretty bummed we’re at the end and will definitely fly this campaign again sometime.  Its worth experiencing it again!

After watching some other Apache videos out there, I removed the IHADDS display.  Personally, I think this looks much better on video.  In game (VR), I barely notice the frame isn’t there.  I do see the right MFD much better, however.

I'm looking forward to see you guys fly the final mission!

It would be nice if you could cut it so that you can hear all the radio messages and also the credits and "victory music" at the end when you've done it.

Edited by Dagobert666

2 hours ago, Dagobert666 said:

I'm looking forward to see you guys fly the final mission!

It would be nice if you could cut it so that you can hear all the radio messages and also the credits and "victory music" at the end when you've done it.

I'll do my best.  Radio messages come through well in game but can get stepped on if we're talking.  This is especially suspectable in VR as the text can be missed if looking away as well.

Assuming we "win" and make it back, I'll make sure we're quiet to hear the victory music.  

BTW, your radio traffic is the best ever!  It doesn't always make the shortened YT video.  I can assure you the three of us often give out a "hooyah" or something colorful to match the call.  Nice job!

We plan on flying on Thursday night.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

'm looking forward to see you guys fly the final mission!

Looking forward to flying the last mission with the boys.  We had a great time on M08.  Sorry for the delay in videos.  The last two had some issues with performance do to user error and did not come out so well.  Hope you enjoy this one.  I cut it down and need to add time stamps.  The attack on the primary target was awesome.  Quick and fast but action packed.  Really appreciate this campaign and all the hard work you put into it. 

Inspired me to start working my own campaign using the Marianas map oriented towards cartel/narcotics interdiction.  I have already gone off in the weeds learning how to 3D model statics, learn how to make custom liveries, and already incorporating your ADF radio chatter/music.  Really appreciate the inspiration.  When I have something together down the road, I will show you what we have come up with.

• Like 2