Mi-8 - What are they made of

Toni Carrera

Why could I not kill and Mi-8 with 4 Hellfires and a lot of chain gun rounds. It was a active unit, on the ground waiting to take off, and no matter what I did, I could not destroy it. BDA kept reporting damage on every missile, but could not kill it

What on earth is the helicopter made of?

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

3 minutes ago, Toni Carrera said:

Why could I not kill and Mi-8 with 4 Hellfires and a lot of chain gun rounds. It was a active unit, on the ground waiting to take off, and no matter what I did, I could not destroy it. BDA kept reporting damage on every missile, but could not kill it

Toni

Do you ask about this?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Fair enough, I will withdraw my question

Thank you and sorry for asking

Toni

• Like 1

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Toni Carrera:

Toni

do you have a track file or can you replay the mission?

1 minute ago, Toni Carrera said:

Fair enough, I will withdraw my question

Thank you and sorry for asking

Toni

I will try to destroy tomorrow Mi-8 in the air.

I noticed some difference between enemy copters as AI and as "static objects". I had an impression that the second one are like from concrete sometimes 😅.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

@YoYo This was a functional unit sitting hot at parking waiting for assignment via trigger

As I said, I got white BDA over and over and over. I sat there in a hover and nailed it over and over with the chain gun, and a lot of rounds were direct hits, and still only white BDA. I did not get a single heli kill

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

vor 59 Minuten schrieb Toni Carrera:

@YoYo This was a functional unit sitting hot at parking waiting for assignment via trigger

As I said, I got white BDA over and over and over. I sat there in a hover and nailed it over and over with the chain gun, and a lot of rounds were direct hits, and still only white BDA. I did not get a single heli kill

Toni

We need more information.

do you have a trackfile?
Was it a SP or MP mission?

@Hobel Of that particular flight, I only have a ACMI file for TacView. I will run the mission again and get a Track file

just to answer a question, it was a single player mission that I threw together just so I could practise shooting stuff with missiles

I will try to get a track together now

Toni

Edited by Toni Carrera

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

@Hobel In fact, I will see if the same happens again if I create a straight forward me versus my apparent nemesis helicopter and post track for that. I am suggesting this as it takes 40m to get there in that particular mission

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

@Hobel Please find attached track file as requested. Shooting does not start until a fraction under 5m. Although you see 2 x Red BDA, you can keep shooting and selecting them as valid targets, and when you ESC the mission, you can see as below, none of the hits count as a kill

null

image.png

TC-AH-64D-MI8TV2-31052022.trk

• Thanks 1

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Toni Carrera:

@Hobel Please find attached track file as requested. Shooting does not start until a fraction under 5m. Although you see 2 x Red BDA, you can keep shooting and selecting them as valid targets, and when you ESC the mission, you can see as below, none of the hits count as a kill

null

image.png

TC-AH-64D-MI8TV2-31052022.trk 1 MB · 0 Downloads

Interesting I will take a look at it tonight
thx

Tested, the same, wow! Few direct hits:

9H71LDBh.jpg

Time to open bug topic:

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

vor 7 Minuten schrieb YoYo:

Tested, the same, wow! Few direct hits:

9H71LDBh.jpg

Time to open bug topic.

how far away are they? maybe the fuse of the Hellfire was not yet active, from close up the Hellfire still flies directly through airplanes

like here

Just now, Hobel said:

how far away are they? maybe the fuse of the Hellfire was not yet active, from close up the Hellfire still flies directly through airplanes

like here

M.230 + Hydra, no Hellfires.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

@Hobel In the track you will watch, first shot is about 4 to 5k away, and the remain ones just get closer and closed from there, to the point that they are on the same taxiway, albeit the other end

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

@Hobel Here is the mission I was running from which the track and screen shot were created

Toni

AH-64D-MII8-01.miz

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

I have posted on the Bugs as instructed to do so earlier. I am still interested to hear any input though on this thread here

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

I tested it myself and what I see is in my opinion nothing new for unguided missiles in DCS

but if this is right is debatable

The Hellfire make the helicopters at least useless at the first hit

And as for the damage from single hellfire, I would rate that as correct. There are recordings of Hellfires hitting a few meters next to people who can still run away or limp after the impact, so the pure HE effect does not seem to be particularly large in terms of K HF.

but several Hellfire should already destroy the Mi8 further which does not seem to be the case

Edited by Hobel

This problem affects every AI helicopter; the only way to absolutely wipe them off the map is with a direct heavy weapon hit like a 500lb bomb. Anything less will just catastrophically damage them. I hit a Gazelle the other day with 20mm in the cockpit and cut the tail off; it dropped to the top of a building and bounced, then the pilot got out as the engine spun down.

Needz,

Might be at times very true, but I have downed them with guns or missiles.

However, I remember one time attacking a CH-47D from an A-10C. 

I first hit it with the second AIM-9 that I had fired.  The AI instantly detected the first one that I had fired, dropped flares and spoofed the missile.

And it flew on...

I switched to the gun and closed.  I hit it with one burst of CM 30MM, but I had made a fatal error.  I could not dodge and crashed into it.  My A-10C was a fire ball.

And it flew on...

CH-47D 01.png

Caldera

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

The AI Ch47 can tank the entire weapon payload of the Mi24. Sometimes it does go down, but surprisingly often it doesn't. It just ends up flying in a kind of up and down porpise fashion, with smoke and flames trailing off it as it disappears into the sunset.

• Like 1

• ED Team
On 5/31/2022 at 6:10 AM, Toni Carrera said:

null

image.png

TC-AH-64D-MI8TV2-31052022.trk 1.28 MB · 1 download

Track uses mods, I cannot view. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png