Fess up! Who else here is having a hard time?

Ramstein

.... I must say this. I ONLY fly in 100% real in all my sims.... I use Check lists, and a Knee Board.

I find DSC EASY.

Mainly It gives me the "feel" that real aircraft should. The team somehow gave this girl a soul. Ive flown Over a decade and a hafe in sims and just over 8 years as a real life pilot and I LOVE this thing. Sure She can bite.... But so can real life. Its one of the Few sims I find Truly rewarding as a pilot.

i hope DCS:Warthog is just as good, I need some great fixed wing sim time;

(LOMAC:FC and the Su-25t seems like an arcade now)

:joystick:

30+ years flight sims

-Alienware Desktop With constantly changing specs -Track IR 5 -Thrusmasters Warthog HOTAS #55179 -Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals

.... I must say this. I ONLY fly in 100% real in all my sims.... I use Check lists, and a Knee Board.

I find DSC EASY.

Mainly It gives me the "feel" that real aircraft should. The team somehow gave this girl a soul. Ive flown Over a decade and a hafe in sims and just over 8 years as a real life pilot and I LOVE this thing. Sure She can bite.... But so can real life. Its one of the Few sims I find Truly rewarding as a pilot.

i hope DCS:Warthog is just as good, I need some great fixed wing sim time;

(LOMAC:FC and the Su-25t seems like an arcade now)

:joystick:

Agreed! 100% realism, only time I crash is if I'm shot down, pushing the flight envelope, or when my wingman cuts off my tail boom like in the mission I had last night :joystick: /CRASH!!!

I have some issues that in a perfect world would be addressed, but I congratulate ED for their creation.

I'm finding it a real challenge too, even though I've tried to take a structured approach to the whole thing, i.e. learning startup, taxy, take off and land procedures for a couple of days, then moving onto just using the guns in it's various modes followed by other weapons systems and modes (still getting a handle on weapons).

I'm using a combination of manual, producer's notes videos and this forum to help me get a handle on things. For me, the complexity and difficulty is part of the challenge and fun. Having said that, I've had moments of frustration and confusion too, when you think you're doing the right thing, and everything is under control, then you change something and it all falls apart. In that situation it is back to the resources mentioned above to double check everything and more often than not I find a solution or the correct procedure. I've also got a custom mission where I add variety of targets and threats to practice on. I've had the sim for a week now and have not flown a proper mission yet nor have I started a campaign.

I wondered if a training type Campaign would be possible though, where each mission introduces a new aspect of the operation of the BS.

Still have a long long way to go, but that's been my experience and feel a great sense of satisfaction when I get a part of the BS worked. I think baby steps is the key.

Cheers,

SMan.

I've got 25 years of sim flight and 3 years of real flight (cessna172). And the only sim that feel as real as Blackshark to me is X-plane 9.

I play them all but these two are the best.......IMO

X-plane IS good!!!;)

30+ years flight sims

-Alienware Desktop With constantly changing specs -Track IR 5 -Thrusmasters Warthog HOTAS #55179 -Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals

Approximately 7 hours flight time in the sim and I've only just moved to weapons employment. After learning how to fly the Black Shark, weapons delivery is very easy. Although I'm still hit or miss with the rockets (pun intended).

I used to be miss and hit with the landing (as in miss the runway and hit the ground very hard) but I have gotten much better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the key is to learn the aircraft, learn the weapons/NAV/misc systems, and learn how to use them *effectively* and *intuitively* during flight/combat.

I'm getting pretty good at controlling the aircraft and getting better at combat. However, there is one thing I still have an extremely hard time with ... ...Labels

Yes, the missions are fun with labels on because you can see where about the enemy is and then use the Skhval to locate and target him. However, it's nearly impossible (for me at least) to do that without labels. I have an extemely hard time finding anyone with labels turned off. Usually when I do find the enemy, it's because he indicated his position by throwing missles in my face. :) and then it's usually too late and I gotta restart the mission.

So, question to the aces here: What's the secret to combat with labels turned off?

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

I'm no ace but there's a few simple things that make it simpler.

Know where you are and where the enemy is supposed to be and is going from the briefing.

Fly from cover to cover, stop, pop up, and scan your next hop and its surroundings using your eyes and the Shkval. The helmet mode and HUD-only view are very nice for doing doing a scan as it's easier to jump the Shkval around. Take your time.

If flying with others, engage the target zone from slightly different angles, this will give greater coverage.

Don't overfly the target zone, skirt around it, scanning your surroundings (which you should already have scanned), route, and the target area.

Also, labels don't have to be an all or nothing affair. If you want something that's still challenging but assists visibility you can edit the labels.lua file in the "\Config\View" folder to give less information (or none at all) at various distances.

Edited by scatter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Australian Air Force

Fly from cover to cover, stop, pop up, and scan your next hop and its surroundings using your eyes and the Shkval. The helmet mode and HUD-only view are very nice for doing doing a scan as it's easier to jump the Shkval around. Take your time.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have been doing. Still rarely find anything. (I do have scenery set to high, so perhaps the suckers are just hiding in trees...)

Also, labels don't have to be an all or nothing affair. If you want something that's still challenging but assists visibility you can edit the labels.lua file in the "\Config\View" folder to give less information (or none at all) at various distances.

Oh cool, that rocks. I'll play with that. Looks like I can also change the color of enemies back to Red :)

Thanks for that pointer. Just having a small red dot instead labels will certainly help with hunting while not cluttering the screen (and feeling like cheating... lol)

Cheers!

Thanks for that pointer. Just having a small red dot instead labels will certainly help with hunting while not cluttering the screen (and feeling like cheating... lol)

Cheers!

The red-dot would be kewl. Could you point me in that direction?

- - - - - - - - TO FLY IS HEAVEN. TO HOVER IS DIVINE - - - - - -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The red-dot would be kewl. Could you point me in that direction?

Here's my current Labels.lua file. I'm still tweaking distances, but this works well for me:

-----8<-----

AirOn = true

GroundOn = true

NavyOn = true

WeaponOn = true

AirFormat = {}

AirFormat[50] = ""

AirFormat[5000] = "%P"

AirFormat[10000] = "%N%n%D Km%n%P"

AirFormat[20000] = "`"

AirFormat[30000] = "`"

GroundFormat = {}

GroundFormat[100] = "`%N"

GroundFormat[10000] = "`"

GroundFormat[20000] = "`"

NavyFormat = {}

NavyFormat[100] = "`%N"

NavyFormat[20000] = "`"

NavyFormat[40000] = "`"

WeaponFormat = {}

WeaponFormat[5000] = "`"

WeaponFormat[10000] = "`"

WeaponFormat[20000] = "`"

-- Colors in {red, green, blue} format, volume from 0 up to 255

ColorAliesSide = {0, 0, 255}

ColorEnemiesSide = {255, 0, 0}

----->8-----

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

^^

10Km (20Km!) is a long way away to be able to see something by eye.

Why don't you try (my old LO.FC settings):

AirFormat = {}

AirFormat[750] = ""

AirFormat[5500] = "%N"

AirFormat[8000] = "-'-"

AirFormat[17000] = ".:."

AirFormat[30000] = "."

GroundFormat = {}

GroundFormat[300] = ""

GroundFormat[2500] = "%N"

GroundFormat[6000] = "'"

-- GroundFormat[10000] = "%N%n%D" (commented out)

-- GroundFormat[20000] = "%D" (commented out)

NavyFormat = {}

NavyFormat[1500] = ""

-- NavyFormat[20000] = "%N%n%D" (commented out)

NavyFormat[14000] = "%N"

NavyFormat[45000] = "*"

WeaponFormat = {}

WeaponFormat[500] = ""

WeaponFormat[1500] = "%D"

WeaponFormat[3500] = "%-"

WeaponFormat[5000] = "."

& also set both Blue & Red labels to a nice low vis purple:

ColorAliesSide = {125, 0, 125}

ColorEnemiesSide = {125, 0, 125}

So for ground units at 6 Km & you've got some visual indication that there's something there, 2.5Km you can tell what it is (300m & you're parked on it so you don't need a label) ... you know something's there, but still have to work out if it's red or Blue for yourself.

If you're interested there are some (long) threads in the FC forum on the labels "are more realistic / less realistic" argument (my own opinion - more realistic from a "tactical" point of view if configured correctly given the limitations of monitors / FOV etc, even if they do detract visually from the "fidelity" of the view.)

I think I've just convinced myself - I might put BS back to my old FC settings & turn labels back on ...

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Here's my current Labels.lua file. I'm still tweaking distances, but this works well for me:

-----8<-----

AirOn = true

----->8-----

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Me likey ... THANX a lot ! ... so far so good and it doesn't feel like cheating as much ... :D

... you know something's there, but still have to work out if it's red or Blue for yourself.

... I'm not that interested yet.

Edited by LIONPRIDE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well at this rate it took me 1 year to get decent at IL2

I know way diffrent.

But it looks like with this one at least a year before I see gunfire. :doh:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill 
" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690 MPG DDR4 || i9-14900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4080S|Game1300w|Win11| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2||MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Asus||

I'll `fess up. I find the damned thing uncontrollable. Just getting to the point of putting it in auto-hover is hit and miss for me, and TrackIR isn't helping, as it's so sluggish to be a detriment. Every time I try to transition the speed from fast to slow and then try to bring it in to land, I always seem to wind up flying sideways.

It's quite possibly the most frustrating sim I've ever played.

Slain,,, your not alone. I have spent weeks working on controlling the beast. I didnt want to believe it at 1st that I really had to focus on trim, but its apperently true. I have cove a long way, I am doing much better now, and it took patience and understanding Trim (which is tough to understand at 1st how to exactly apply it, at least for me anyway). It is frustraiting, but I believe once you have it down, it will be worth the effort. I myself have been doing nothing but practicing startup, trim and hovering,, and its paying off. this thread may be of some help as well. I just posted in there to get a little more help, but my approach may help you as well? Good Luck,, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=33583

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I myself have been doing nothing but practicing

startup, trim and hovering,, and its paying off.

same here! i'm also starting to do circuits now. just

created a free flight mission that i can establish an

area which i want to fly around. this helps me to

practice controlling attitude, airspeed, altitude...

just hope my lap times improve soon, 'cause i'm still

slow boy... :smilewink:

If you're finding the helo hard to fly, make sure the three auto pilot buttons are lit up (not necc the alt hold, but the other three).

She almost flies of rails when you have them set ...

Remember that small moves of the controls work well. Most of the time i find myself almost 'leaning on the joystick' instead of pushing it around.

Trim, and trim often.

She takes a long time to slow down from 250 km/hr to a hover, so think ahead...

She takes a long time to slow down from 250 km/hr to a hover, so think ahead...

While that's true for a normal approach, you can make her stop on a dime (without putting more than 2-2.5G's on it). :) The more I fly, the more I'm impressed by the capabilities of that aircraft. If you have flown helicopters before, it doesn't take much practice to get used to her. She's got her own personality, like any aircraft. (I myself still find myself overcontrolliing the pedals at times...where the heck is the torque I'm so used to? ...lol).

If you are coming from fixed wing, then yes, the learning curve is quite steep. But as you said, with the AP buttons for stabilization, it's not bad. It just takes practice.

While that's true for a normal approach, you can make her stop on a dime (without putting more than 2-2.5G's on it).

point the nose at the sky?? ;)... yeh it's difficult to do without climbing a lot ... if I need to do a sudden stop I tend to bleed the speed off in a tight turn... but thats my limit, not the aircraft.

I'll `fess up. I find the damned thing uncontrollable. Just getting to the point of putting it in auto-hover is hit and miss for me, and TrackIR isn't helping, as it's so sluggish to be a detriment. Every time I try to transition the speed from fast to slow and then try to bring it in to land, I always seem to wind up flying sideways.

It's quite possibly the most frustrating sim I've ever played.

It'll come in time. Just flying around in any sim should take a couple of weeks ... easy.

See, I'm just the opposite. LockOn and IL2 were pissing me off because I'm a helicopter sim pilot first. All I kept saying in those fixed wing beasts is "How do they hit anything when they whiz past the target so fast?". :cry: .

Practice, practice, practice

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That´s it: Practice.

Most of us want a most real simulation, but to think then you can fly after 3 days like a real military airman that was trained many month and years, you are very very wrong.

Yes, it´s a bit frustrating, i stopped a misson last night because i didn´t get the target inside a small and narrow valley, controlling the heli, piont the laser , find small, tiny points that are targets (manpad) i hadn´t any chance.

But after that my frustration changed, i was happy because i know that i will use this sim looong times. If it´s to easy, you´ld throw it away after a few days.

For me the first thing to learn is not to attack every thing on my way but my mission targets, in fact when you face you are not in an superior situation, you would avoid any attack. No tank commander would expose his lonely vehicle in an inferior situation like forrest our city for .e.g. without assistant infantry.

The heli is a mighty weapon, but easy to hit, so don´t you drive 250 kph and think you stop at the forrest border 1 km away without beeing liftet 800 ft high. Combat is no ferry flight, your point is ambush, not a cavalry attack.