How does BUCS Select work ?

secretcode
Go to solution Solved by Leg2ion,

So I am a Gunner and I am flying with my pilot. He needs to go to the bathroom so I request the controls of the aircraft pressing the key C.

He comes back and I give the controls back. This is a gamey way of doing right?. Would the controls be passed IRL using the BUCS Select?

How does BUCS Select work? Is it an option for emergencies where your pilot is wounded or death and you press it and take the controls of the aircraft?

Also, does it work in DCS? If my pilot dies, can I use the BUCS Select as Copilot/Gunner to recover the aircraft?

The controls are linked mechanically, right?  As in, the whole time the PLT is flying from the back seat, the CPG is aware of the controls moving around between his legs, and to his left, and to not interfere with their range of motion?

Is there a way to "disconnect" them in an emergency so that if one crew-member is incapacitated and leaning on the controls, the other can maintain flight?  (Probably a very rare occurrence, considering how they are harnessed into their seat, but you get what I'm saying.)

AFAIK, of all DCS birds we have, only Hind has a capability to uncouple front cyclic only and that's by design.

Unless it's FBW, I don't think there is an possbility IRL to decouple controls outside of pulling safety pins and removing them physically.

1 hour ago, secretcode said:

So I am a Gunner and I am flying with my pilot. He needs to go to the bathroom so I request the controls of the aircraft pressing the key C.

He comes back and I give the controls back. This is a gamey way of doing right?. Would the controls be passed IRL using the BUCS Select?

How does BUCS Select work? Is it an option for emergencies where your pilot is wounded or death and you press it and take the controls of the aircraft?

Also, does it work in DCS? If my pilot dies, can I use the BUCS Select as Copilot/Gunner to recover the aircraft?

For the situation you are describing you are doing it right, and BUCS is of no relevance. It is also not currently modelled in DCS. The logic for how it works isn't super straightforward, but there are references you can find on the internet that will explain it if you are interested. 

• Thanks 1

They pretty much answered it under normal situations the controls are linked, if it moves in the back it’ll move in the front and vice versa. So passing controls back and forth is telling the other person “I have control” and then the other person relinquishing control so both pilots arent fighting each other.  The bucs trigger has to specifically deal with an emergency when the bucs system is enabled in one of basically 2 ways. As stated it’s not modeled so you don’t need to worry about it too much in dcs. 

• Like 1

• Solution

BUCS is an emergency back up system, and isn't used normally unless there are issues or seizures in the control system, so wouldn't be used to transfer control...

BUCS = Back Up Control System. So - both pilots/CPGS stations are linked mechanically - in the same way any (most) dual seat helicopter is designed (either side by side or tandem seating arrangement) - so mechanical rods between one station to the other. Move one stick fwd - be it front or aft - the other one should replicate the action.

BUCS is a pseudo emergency 'fly by wire' system - in that the controls are locked into the overall system by cams and springs. The idea being if there is a seizure or failure in the system (bearing failure, pilot shot and leaning against the stick etc) there is an ability to knock the stick out of its mechanical connection by overcoming a certain amount of force - which breaks the stick out of its cams, and from there on in it relies on input into an linear transformer which relays any detected movement electrically to the controlling servos. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Thank you guys for the anwers. It is now clear how it works.

I didn't know both stations were linked. I initially thought only the pilot had the control and if copilot needed the controls, pressed the BUCS Select.

Now I understand its just for emergencies.