Just curious... DCS 2?

Rhinozherous
Go to solution Solved by Silver_Dragon,

On 9/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, BuzzU said:

I wonder if you'd be asking for a new version if you had to buy it again? A lot of companies do that. Formula One comes to mind.

Yes, I would. Cheaper to pay $80 for a new game engine than to buy a new 80 or 90 series card and still be disappointed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Morat said:

Yes, I would. Cheaper to pay $80 for a new game engine than to buy a new 80 or 90 series card and still be disappointed.

So upgrade something that would help, instead. There's more to performance than the GPU. For example, your CPU, or your cooling solution. DCS will not usually be GPU-bound. It's a single thread program (except for sound) and you're not going to help that with a 90 series. 

The devs are working towards a new, multithreaded engine, even without asking for yearly purchases. Creating a custom engine takes time, which is why most games don't bother, and use an off the shelf solution, which is already made. This works well for games which don't need to get too fancy with physics or world size. For games that do, it works much less well. Considering they are likely having to rewrite most of DCS from scratch to accommodate new technologies, it's really unsurprising this takes time.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2022 at 3:32 AM, draconus said:

@grimm862 You want them to inform you on the dev status every day. That won't happen. There's no point in saying "still WIP today".

It's not your or dev's fault there is too little content for your module. There's plenty of multi-module missions, MP or even user made dynamic campaigns for all modules. If you're bored it's totally on you.

And better check update logs - every one of them contain improvements and fixes for ME, AI, modules and missions... you name it. Not exactly what you wanted? Sorry, can't please everyone.

Hahaha, I didn't say I wanted dev updates every single day, please stop putting words in my mouth. That's twice now in only two posts. Maybe once a month, or every two weeks we could get an insight into whats going on behind the scenes with things that were promised years ago. 99% of other dev studios do it and they have no issues. Apparently DCS doesn't have to because they have people like you in here defending them at every corner. It's kind of embarrassing frankly. Also sorry the dynamic campaign missions for most of the modules, basically all the redfor aircraft do not work because they don't use standard radio frequencies. I mean it sounds like you've certainly poured through all the content and have verified yourself that it all works perfectly and satisfactory. How is it not the devs fault there's nothing to do with their products in their game? That's quite the bizarre take. I don't think it's asking for much to get a modicum of content for the products that get put out on this simulator. When we've heard time and time again that the majority of the player base is singleplayers in almost every sim for that matter I think it's important to try and keep them occupied or else they just will eventually cease to exist. If you want to sit here and defend the way they do things go for it. It's no skin off my back, but don't put words in my mouth and then use them to base your entire flawed argument on. Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grimm862 said:

How is it not the devs fault there's nothing to do with their products in their game?

Yeah, it's hard to keep the conversation if you feel that way.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

There's loads of missions and campaigns, both paid for and free. If none please, mission making in DCS is dummy easy so dive right in.

I can understand that argument for a lot of games, I legit can, but at the same time? DCS is a sandbox and a lot of it is up to you. That said, more missions and such would always be a welcome thing.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, BuzzU said:

I wonder if you'd be asking for a new version if you had to buy it again? A lot of companies do that. Formula One comes to mind.

Word. Eagle Dynamics are the gift that keep on giving. I own a fair amount of content but I believe (if I was broke) I could still be entertaining myself with the free Su-25T if I really had to.

• Like 3

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

On 9/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

So upgrade something that would help, instead. There's more to performance than the GPU. For example, your CPU, or your cooling solution. DCS will not usually be GPU-bound. It's a single thread program (except for sound) and you're not going to help that with a 90 series. 

The devs are working towards a new, multithreaded engine, even without asking for yearly purchases. Creating a custom engine takes time, which is why most games don't bother, and use an off the shelf solution, which is already made. This works well for games which don't need to get too fancy with physics or world size. For games that do, it works much less well. Considering they are likely having to rewrite most of DCS from scratch to accommodate new technologies, it's really unsurprising this takes time.

There's nothing in my PC that would benefit from $80.

Also, it's very easy for DCS to become GPU bound in VR. You have to make a lot of compromises with settings to keep frame rates acceptable.

And yes, everyone knows it takes time to produce a custom game engine. What are you actually saying here?

Edited by Morat

If you’re hung up on the single player aspect and are looking for a dynamic single player experience, I highly recommend you check out DCS Liberation. Its an excellent dynamic mission/campaign generator and quite engaging. Fairly easy to install and use. Just check out some youtube tutorials on it. It’s also free and can be downloaded on github. I’ve been really enjoying it.

https://github.com/dcs-liberation/dcs_liberation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

On 9/24/2022 at 9:50 PM, grimm862 said:

Hahaha, I didn't say I wanted dev updates every single day, please stop putting words in my mouth. That's twice now in only two posts. Maybe once a month, or every two weeks we could get an insight into whats going on behind the scenes with things that were promised years ago.

Does the entire section of the forum dedicated to that not count?

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/31-official-updates/

99% of other dev studios do it and they have no issues.

I feel like I could find this thread on any game forum. I don't think I've seen many developers give more updates than ED has if I'm honest.

How is it not the devs fault there's nothing to do with their products in their game?

This is always such an odd thing to hear. Certainly there are desirable changes and improvements that could be had in DCS, but if someone honestly thinks there is nothing to do, it makes it sound like they're not even trying. DCS already has infinite content through the mission editor. And it's accessible even if you're not great at the ME since users share missions and have even developed programs to create missions for people to play. I absolutely support giving ED a fair critique, and there are negative things to point out, but to say that they haven't delivered a game at all sounds pretty crazy.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 1:05 AM, Exorcet said:

Does the entire section of the forum dedicated to that not count?

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/31-official-updates/

I feel like I could find this thread on any game forum. I don't think I've seen many developers give more updates than ED has if I'm honest.

This is always such an odd thing to hear. Certainly there are desirable changes and improvements that could be had in DCS, but if someone honestly thinks there is nothing to do, it makes it sound like they're not even trying. DCS already has infinite content through the mission editor. And it's accessible even if you're not great at the ME since users share missions and have even developed programs to create missions for people to play. I absolutely support giving ED a fair critique, and there are negative things to point out, but to say that they haven't delivered a game at all sounds pretty crazy.

Yeah try flying the mig 21 on most of the user stuff with broken RBSN, and other broken nav systems. Half the <profanity> doesnt work. There isn't as much content out there as you think there is. Missions made 8 years ago don't exactly work anymore, if you aren't flying the latest and greatest module releases good luck. Not a single one of those dynamic missions work for the plane because all the navigation is broken in them. But yeah you definitely seem to know everything.

Edited by grimm862

5 hours ago, grimm862 said:

Yeah try flying the mig 21 on most of the user stuff with broken RBSN, and other broken nav systems. Half the <profanity> doesnt work. There isn't as much content out there as you think there is. Missions made 8 years ago don't exactly work anymore, if you aren't flying the latest and greatest module releases good luck. Not a single one of those dynamic missions work for the plane because all the navigation is broken in them. But yeah you definitely seem to know everything.

I have infinite content for every module via the ME. The Fast Mission Generator could use some updating, but it can be a nice starting point for quick missions. Online is pretty active with a decent variety of content. If your 8 year old mission doesn't work, chances are it still opens in the ME can be updated. Then you have training and practice which is fun by itself just because of the depth of DCS modeling. Yes, there are bugs and problems that everyone wants to see addressed, but that doesn't mean that there is no content in DCS.

• Like 2

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

20 hours ago, Exorcet said:

I have infinite content for every module via the ME. The Fast Mission Generator could use some updating, but it can be a nice starting point for quick missions. Online is pretty active with a decent variety of content. If your 8 year old mission doesn't work, chances are it still opens in the ME can be updated. Then you have training and practice which is fun by itself just because of the depth of DCS modeling. Yes, there are bugs and problems that everyone wants to see addressed, but that doesn't mean that there is no content in DCS.

Flying the same missions over and over with a new plane gets old bud. Without any long term cohesion to the missions doing the same old quick missions gets boring real quick. Actual campaigns are much funner, stuff that actually works and doesn't require somebody to dive into a mission editor to fix everything and having to learn to do that is annoying. I get people enjoy tweaking endlessly and are well versed in creating missions, I don't have time for that. So when I exclaim there is a lack of actual decent singleplayer content I am not saying it to talk smack, its a shame and makes me want to play something else when my time is so limited. Unless you are flying the few super popular modules in singleplayer good luck getting any decent cohesive content to play.

DCS needs a dynamic campaign system yesterday. Unfortunately DCS needs so much other stuff fixed and added to even make that system viable. Without working ATC, decent ground vehicle AI, and a few other things it's not even possible for this to come to fruition.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:07 PM, grimm862 said:

Yeah try flying the mig 21 on most of the user stuff with broken RBSN, and other broken nav systems.

What about recent Battle of Krasnodar and Constant Peg. Are these broken too?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

14 hours ago, draconus said:

I dont have either one I just bought krasnodar and will give it a try. Not a fan of red flag style campaigns. Anything on the nevada map gets a big pass from me.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:05 PM, grimm862 said:

Flying the same missions over and over with a new plane gets old bud.

The mission editor solves this. And you as the end user don't even have to learn how to use it between other mission makers and tools like Liberation.

So when I exclaim there is a lack of actual decent singleplayer content

What was said originally, and what I replied to was that there was "nothing to do" in DCS. If that's being retracted, then fine. I have no issue with people saying that they want more or different things.

Unless you are flying the few super popular modules in singleplayer good luck getting any decent cohesive content to play.

DCS needs a dynamic campaign system yesterday. Unfortunately DCS needs so much other stuff fixed and added to even make that system viable. Without working ATC, decent ground vehicle AI, and a few other things it's not even possible for this to come to fruition.

I fly singleplayer and own most modules. I don't really have a content problem and I don't consider a DC necessary. The ME doesn't have to take all your time, although when learning how to use it I can see a player being slow at first. In any case, I'm not against more stuff in DCS and the game does have long standing issues that should be fixed.

16 hours ago, draconus said:

Great example of the typical crap i find in this game for planes like the mig 21, I just bought the krasnodar campaign and all the ATC info is listed in nato style numerals instead of RBSN or ARC. Why? It's so simple to just write the rbsn's and arc numbers instead of not doing it and making me have to find this info myself. Why would the pilot breifing not include this absolutely crucial bits of information. Flying the mig 21 in this game in singleplayer is one of the most frustrating things I have ever done in a flight sim. I have absolutely no clue what channel my flight and awacs is on on the ARC radio and the only way to find it is to open up the mission editor and find all the info myself. That's a joke for a paid product.

EDIT: Just realized paid campaigns are encrypted and I cant even view these files in the mission editor myself to see what these radio channels are.

Edited by grimm862
  • Like 2