Feedback Thread - F-14 Tomcat Patch, Sept. 1st 2022

IronMike

Dear all,

we are happy that the last missed patch made its way into OB with this hotfix and we hope you enjoy the changes. As always we would like to invite you to leave your feedback. Thank you for all your great contributions thus far!

Noteworthy are ofc the changes to the AIM-54, which we would like to kindly ask you to discuss in this thread below. It will also give you a more detailed overview of the changes brought to the Phoenix missile. Thank you!

The entire changelog:

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations 01. Sept. 2022

• AIM-54 Overhaul, Part 2:
    • Increased PN gain for all variants.
    • AIM-54A will now only update guidance when the target is illuminated (you will see the missle periodically update).
    • Corrected motor impulse (reduced MK47 a bit and the MK60 significantly).
    • Reduced MK-60 burn time from 30 to 20 seconds.
    • Both motors have the same total impulse now. The MK60 has a slight advantage during motor burn time, while the MK47 has an advantage in burn time. With increasing altitude the difference becomes smaller. 
    • MK47 Mod 1 has now the same thrust/impulse and burn time as the Mod 0, but with reduced smoke (was previously weaker than the Mod 0).
    • AIM-54C should go active by default (even when losing lock from STT).
    • Increased AIM-54C chaff resistance.
    • Reduced AIM-54A chaff resistance.
    • Added option for AIM-54C with MK-60 motor.
    • Adjusted AIM-54 missile empty mass.
    • Adjusted MK-60 motor propellant mass.

• Set the JESTER option for automatic PDSTT -> PSTT to disabled by default.
  • Fixed several issues with damaged avionics and flight systems (including jammed flaps for example) not allowing a repair to be triggered.
  • Potential fix for CTD with F-14 AI (was not applied correctly in the last patch).
  • Fixed emergency sweep logic:
    • Fixed commanded wing sweep position being saved over to a new aircraft spawn.
    • Fixed emergency wing sweep handle moving to spider detent on new aircraft spawn.
    • Fixed wing sweep indicator commanded position bit mismatching with the actual indicated position.
    • Fixed emergency sweep handle able to be moved between 68° and 75°, after being stowed at 75°. Now it has to be lifted to move it again after it has been stowed.
    • Fixed wing sweep indicator raising EMER / OVER flags when wings get swept past 67 degrees.
  • Fixed turn indicator needle deflection rate.
  • Fixed mach buffet not dying off beyond M 1.3. 
  • Fixed an issue with the AWG-9 track logic to avoid tracks being thrown by aircraft launching air to air missiles.
  • Fixed LANDING CHK light remaining illuminated after touchdown. 
  • Fixed Manual Throttle not unlocking after disengaging the Autothrottle.
  • Fixed all mission versions of “Watching the Devil Dog” not being able to be completed successfully.
  • Fixed VF-31 AE-200 and AE-205 1991 by Mach3DS - thank you. 
  • Fixed VF-14 AB-100 and AB-103 1796 by VFlip - thank you. 
  • Added Top Gun 114 by LanceCriminal86 - replaces previous Top Gun livery. Thank you.
  • Updated Rogue Nation by YaeSakura - thank you.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

1 hour ago, 81banana said:

My dear friend, is it possible to have a table showing thrust, burn time, chaff resistance and guidance specifications next to each other for better comparison? I’m confused by some statements of new update post. emoji1317.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can simply compare the old and new weapons lua if you like, which contains most of these.

Also, let me know which statements confuse you please, so I can try to help you understand them better.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

18 hours ago, 81banana said:

is it possible to have a table showing thrust, burn time, chaff resistance and guidance specifications next to each other for better comparison?

model engine burn time thrust smoke guidance and CCM can go active on its own
AIM-54A Mk47 Mod 0 27s low smoky bad no
AIM-54A Mk60 20.6s high medium bad no
AIM-54C Mk47 Mod 1 27s low smokeless good yes
AIM-54C Mk60 20.6s high medium good yes

Please let me know if you have more data or something I messed up - I'll edit right away.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Reposting my charts here as well.

Click Here for Google Sheets to Graphs

500m

Spoiler

AIM-54_Whitepaper_Tests_500m.png

AIM-54_Whitepaper_Tests_500m_Air_Distanc

6km

Spoiler

AIM-54_Whitepaper_Tests_6km.png

AIM-54_Whitepaper_Tests_6km_Air_Distance

12km

Spoiler

AIM-54_Whitepaper_Tests_12km.png

AIM-54_Whitepaper_Tests_12km_Air_Distanc

In conclusion: Bring an Mk47 motor variant.

Also nozzle_exit_area still equals 1e-6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

46 минут назад, near_blind сказал:

Sounds to me like an issue with execution

previously, there were chances to shoot down the F-16 by launching a missile from a distance of 40 miles. at an altitude of 30,000 flying on a collision course. now he is slowly and easily dodging the rocket. at a slow pace. without straining
in addition, the speed of the rocket has become even more negligible than it was. she is now barely ahead of the flying F14 ) lol

Edited by Goodwin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

previously, there were chances to shoot down the F-16 by launching a missile from a distance of 40 miles. at an altitude of 30,000 flying on a collision course. now he is slowly and easily dodging the rocket. at a slow pace. without straining
in addition, the speed of the rocket has become even more negligible than it was. she is now barely ahead of the flying F14 ) lol

40 mile shot at 30k hits Mach 3.  Tomcat doesn't hit Mach 3.  

Take it up another 10k feet and the pressure differential will let it hit Mach 4+. Longer range shots will hit Mach 5 because the missile can attain its full impulse climbout before having to dive back down, and will be at Mach 3 engaging a target above 20k feet in that particular endgame situation.  

It's all in how you take the shot.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Бойовий Сокіл said:

Does this entry even affect the old API?

Yes.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Was the fix for crashing supposed to be in this release?

I have the hanging crash everytime I try to finish the first (cold start, carrier) campaign mission with f-14 when returning towards the carrier at the end od the mission.

Nothing else crashes ever, even with hours of fly time.

F-14|F-18|F-86|AVS37|A-10CII|MIG21bis|AV-8B|P51|FC-3|CA|SC|Syria|PG
Lot of DLC campaigns.

9 hours ago, Pekki said:

Was the fix for crashing supposed to be in this release?

I have the hanging crash everytime I try to finish the first (cold start, carrier) campaign mission with f-14 when returning towards the carrier at the end od the mission.

Nothing else crashes ever, even with hours of fly time.

No.  I get a freeze also (usually when returning to carrier).  Im able to replicate consistently with f14 but not f18. 

it’s very frustrating, and now after a successful mission (dcs liberation campaign) I tend to end the game before even returning to carrier as there’s a 1 in 4 chance it’ll freeze on the return journey. 

6 hours ago, Clunk1001 said:

No.  I get a freeze also (usually when returning to carrier).  Im able to replicate consistently with f14 but not f18. 

it’s very frustrating, and now after a successful mission (dcs liberation campaign) I tend to end the game before even returning to carrier as there’s a 1 in 4 chance it’ll freeze on the return journey. 

Is this any carrier, or precisely the Stennis, like in the campaign?

Heatblur Simulations

image.png

Is this normal? Should i have 3 Top Gun skins in my F-14A folder? Or is only the first (the newest) supposed to be there? 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

3 hours ago, IronMike said:

Is this any carrier, or precisely the Stennis, like in the campaign?

Usually always a super carrier.  Was able to replicate using the Theodore Roosevelt - it seemed to be linked to late activation aircraft,  I had a late CAP activating at about 30 mins in - 4 x F14 starting InFlight, I could get it to crash consistently after 31 mins, but if I removed the late activating flight it worked okay.  (that was a Liberation generated mission - so couldn't be specific on the actual triggers).   But it does feel like some DCS trigger is causing a conflict resulting in a freeze (hardware is all fine and then complete freeze).  I'll do some more testing.

1 hour ago, captain_dalan said:

image.png

Is this normal? Should i have 3 Top Gun skins in my F-14A folder? Or is only the first (the newest) supposed to be there? 

The only ones should be 114 with the movie style weathering and Rogue Nation, and only in the A skins folder.

We're trying to figure out what is going on with the packages or updater, if something different needs to be done to remove the extra ones. They were triple checked before this round.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

1 hour ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

They were triple checked before this round.

There you have it, would be just one would you have checked just once!

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

8 hours ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

The only ones should be 114 with the movie style weathering and Rogue Nation, and only in the A skins folder.

We're trying to figure out what is going on with the packages or updater, if something different needs to be done to remove the extra ones. They were triple checked before this round.

Ah, roger, so only the one with the smaller tail badge! 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Unfortunately, I'm also still getting freezes since the update. As before, they always happen after combat on my way back to the boat. If you fly the mission "Bone Strike," you should be able to replicate this 100% of the time, because I've never been able to complete that mission out of maybe 10 tries. At some point after the bombers reach Turkish airspace, it always freezes. Sometimes I can refuel and make it to about 100 NM from the carrier, other times I can't even reach the tanker before the game freezes. Maybe it's when an AI plane lands or something, I don't know.

2 hours ago, WWSmith said:

Unfortunately, I'm also still getting freezes since the update. As before, they always happen after combat on my way back to the boat. If you fly the mission "Bone Strike," you should be able to replicate this 100% of the time, because I've never been able to complete that mission out of maybe 10 tries. At some point after the bombers reach Turkish airspace, it always freezes. Sometimes I can refuel and make it to about 100 NM from the carrier, other times I can't even reach the tanker before the game freezes. Maybe it's when an AI plane lands or something, I don't know.

Yes, same. That mission almost always freezes for me in the same point of time. About 60 to 65 mins in.