Is it going to be worth going 3090 to 4090?

Digitalvole

That would make the prices a little more balanced, my point about the cockwombles in No.10 still stands though😁

• Like 3

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

5 minutes ago, edmuss said:

That would make the prices a little more balanced, my point about the cockwombles in No.10 still stands though😁

Cockwombles

That cheered me up. Well one just resigned, god we need a general election 

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Yep it is the scalpers. Long as they have a market of willing people to pay those high prices to get a card sooner they will always exist. I would gladly go without before I ever supported them by buying a card from them. Screw them.

You would not buy a card from overclockers because they sold them ? how do they know who is a scalper or are you saying the cards are to high priced ? 

40 minutes ago, freehand said:

You would not buy a card from overclockers because they sold them ? how do they know who is a scalper or are you saying the cards are to high priced ? 

Think you may have missed a bit, I’m rather sozled now or I’d explain. It’s there somewhere 🙂

• Like 1

I have a crazy idea, when I am buying a custom PC from SCAN, I would ask them directly if they can get me a FE alongside...

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

36 minutes ago, ismaeljorda said:

Something In the high setting preset is really taxing the GPU, but also seeing GPU frametime as low as 6ms is kind of crazy.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

49 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Something In the high setting preset is really taxing the GPU, but also seeing GPU frametime as low as 6ms is kind of crazy.

Not only in high settings, but low setting also shows a problem.  With a GPU frametime of about 7.5 ms, the FPS value should be around 133 but because of the CPU completely bottlenecked spiking just below 13 ms.  Hence, the FPS cannot reach more than 77.  This is also confirmed by the very low usage of the GPU in the 40-60% range.  

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:45 PM, WipeUout said:

I guess you play pancake.  Lots of good point but VR is a different story.

Yes and I know the vr people are struggling. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, WipeUout said:

Not only in high settings, but low setting also shows a problem.  With a GPU frametime of about 7.5 ms, the FPS value should be around 133 but because of the CPU completely bottlenecked spiking just below 13 ms.  Hence, the FPS cannot reach more than 77.  This is also confirmed by the very low usage of the GPU in the 40-60% range.  

Yup I see exactly this with my 12900k and 3090. For VR, unfortunately the reality is that its all CPU limited at this point, not generally GPU limited. I mean I can crank up stuff for the GPU to do, which is mostly pointless, but until we see improvements on the multicore side for DCS I find the latest greatest cards dubious.

2 hours ago, ismaeljorda said:

Can you comment roughly how much of a boost you got with your prior card? A 3090 of some sort I assume? 

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

hace 6 minutos, Harlikwin dijo:

Can you comment roughly how much of a boost you got with your prior card? A 3090 of some sort I assume? 

Thanks! In this video you can see the difference between the 3090Ti and the 4090 with PRESET HIGH. Take a look at the channel, there are several videos that you may find interesting. More are coming. Cheers!

• Like 1

Even the new 13900K has around 17% single core performance over its predecessor which isn’t much. So we’re left with CPU bottleneck which can be reduced by lowering resolution or certain settings in DCS.  My 4090 just got delivered, I just need to get home and play with it. 

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Just an correction, SCAN UK is selling OC version of ASU’s TUF card, not the cheapest one. 

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 minute ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Just a correction, SCAN UK is selling OC version of ASU’s TUF card, not the cheapest one. 

The factory OC cards is another shady practice by vendors, when you manually overclock the regular cards they give pretty much the same performance.  Yet so called OC versions still cost $200 more. 

• Like 1

Why not do some testing in an area where CPU bottlenecks are the smallest?

- Either go to the an isolated spot on the Caucasus map, where there are no objects or other parts that will load up the CPU.

- Or go to Nevada, in a spot where there are close to nothing going on.

This way you will be able to compare how much an uplift the card itself will give. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

The factory OC cards is another shady practice by vendors, when you manually overclock the regular cards they give pretty much the same performance.  Yet so called OC versions still cost $200 more. 

Nope, this thing, is £300 more... 😡

23 minutes ago, TZeer said:

Why not do some testing in an area where CPU bottlenecks are the smallest?

- Either go to the an isolated spot on the Caucasus map, where there are no objects or other parts that will load up the CPU.

- Or go to Nevada, in a spot where there are close to nothing going on.

This way you will be able to compare how much an uplift the card itself will give. 

Great idea! I would suggest NTTR >= 25,000 feet, no clouds, with the sun at the highest

3 hours ago, ismaeljorda said:

Thanks! In this video you can see the difference between the 3090Ti and the 4090 with PRESET HIGH. Take a look at the channel, there are several videos that you may find interesting. More are coming. Cheers!

Your CPU frametimes look really high even on low settings. I wonder if this is Varjo overhead, recording software inssue, or just 5800x3d doing its magic on my system. 

Do you have a full track for this benchmark?

Because for me, the mission looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-10-20 232825.jpg

Compared to:

Screenshot 2022-10-20 232952.jpg

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Damn I wish I was in the market for a new DCS rig, there’s some really powerful hardware out these days. What to do what to do ! 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

49 minutes ago, some1 said:

Your CPU frametimes look really high even on low settings. I wonder if this is Varjo overhead, recording software inssue, or just 5800x3d doing its magic on my system. 

Compared to:

What is your setup? your CPU frametime seems far more reasonable. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, some1 said:

Compared to:

Yeah his CPU FT is a bit high.  Even on my 9900K, I have better CPU FT in that mission with the low preset.  Looking straight in cockpit I get 10.5-11.5ms, looking to the side like that it's 12.5-13.5.  He should have better number with that CPU, might be some background processes causing performance drop.  Just got my 4090 btw, I did overclock mine to +200 MHz both CPU and mem speed though.

Edited by Supmua

26 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Yeah his CPU FT is a bit high.  Even on my 9900K, I have better CPU FT in that mission with the low preset.  Looking straight in cockpit I get 10.5-11.5ms, looking to the side like that it's 12.5-13.5.  He should have better number with that CPU, might be some background processes causing performance drop.  Just got my 4090 btw, I did overclock mine to +200 MHz both CPU and mem speed though.

I mean my FT on an empty mission (not this one), are like 7-8ms... Or last time I checked they were, but 12900k, 3090, G2 100%. The aero definately is asking for more pixels tho.

39 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

I mean my FT on an empty mission (not this one), are like 7-8ms... Or last time I checked they were, but 12900k, 3090, G2 100%. The aero definately is asking for more pixels tho.

The only way to get good approximation is to run the same mission at the same preset, using the same rendering resolution.  Some1's CPU number is quite strong though, but his 5800X3D is a great CPU for sims...the only chip that beats the 13900K in MSFS by a pretty good margin according to Tomshardware (1080p though).

8 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

What is your setup? your CPU frametime seems far more reasonable. 

Similar to Ismael's, except I got 5800X3D and Reverb G2, he has 5950x and Varjo.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro