Weird behavior with mission generated messages display position

Japo32

I don't know if this has been reported, but previously when we hit the communications menu it was on top of the captions (subtitles) box (if there was any subtittle shown at that moment.

Since 2.8 that subtitles box moves down below the menu communications, so it allows read of both suttittles and menu.. which is fine.... BUT the problem comes with VR as it is too near our normal vission. Could it be possible to leave the subittles above the menus, so the menus are the ones that appear below the subtittles. At the end we are the one that choose or not the menus, but subtittles sometimes appears when you don't expect them. 

Thanks!

captionsDownDCS.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 11:21 AM, Flappie said:

You can't. What I meant is, maybe it would be better if the radio menu would pop in the left top part of the screen. What do you think?

I think all the boxes should be able to be placed anywhere in the screen... and also rotate and scale them in the VR environment. Not only the front middle-upper part of it.

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

I think all the boxes should be able to be placed anywhere in the screen... and also rotate and scale them in the VR environment. Not only the front middle-upper part of it.

I'll make a request so that all windows can be positioned by the user through Config/imgui.ini. That would be a great step forward.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Not sure where to put this so apologies if this is not the correct forum.  Since 2.8 certain messages appear halfway down my screen instead of the upper right corner where they usually are.  I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this.  Attached are examples.  First one is unsolicited messages like JTAC status.  The second one is if I actually go into the comm menu and request JTAC status, that one works.  Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  Thanks!

Screen_221126_215328.jpg

Screen_221126_222914.jpg

For some odd reason in VR, this window is now on the lower right overtop my cockpit frame rather than the upper right of the screen...how can I move it please?

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Same here.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Update, as Terry Dactil mentioned above, I had my GUI font size at 1.5, I set it back to 1.0 and it moved the messages up a bit as seen in the below screenshot, but to me it is still in the way.  @BIGNEWY, I'm kind of new to reporting things like this, it seems like it was a design decision and not a bug.  How do I submit a request for this to be looked at by the design team and perhaps reverted or made better for VR?  Thanks!

Screen_221203_221106.jpg

It seems like the problem is that VR clips the display to a smaller area than the full screen you have in the non-VR display. It then moves that all over the place so I suspect the screen coordinates get massively altered, but the text coordinates don't. Hence a mis-match and clipping.

Here is what I get with a normal fullscreen display. Everything works fine with the text now in a much lower position. Someone must have thought that was a great idea, but did not bother to check how it looks in VR!

Screen_221204_180335.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactil

We won't get custom windows positioning anytime soon. I'll ask for a simpler fix (either move radio window to the left part of the screen or revert back to how it was before).

Reported.

Edited by Flappie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Devs have answered me: the Comms menu pushing down subtitles is not new at all (2015). I tested 2.7 to be sure, and yes, the Comms menu does pushed subtitles down already.

I need to understand what was the 2.8 change that broke things for you all.

@STKDirty Can you please share a short track showing your annoying JTAC message popping in your line of sight? I also need your options.lua file (Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua).

@Terry Dactil @Steel Jaw @Ready Please attach your options.lua file (Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua).

I can reproduce the issue with a Scale GUI value different from 1. Can you please confirm you are using a Scale GUI or a Message Font Scale value different than 1?

Edited by Flappie

6 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi. Devs have answered me: the Comms menu pushing down subtitles is not new at all (2015). I tested 2.7 to be sure, and yes, the Comms menu does pushed subtitles down already.

I need to understand what was the 2.8 change that broke things for you all.

@STKDirty Can you please share a short track showing your annoying JTAC message popping in your line of sight? I also need your options.lua file (Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua).

@Terry Dactil @Steel Jaw @Ready Please attach your options.lua file (Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua).

I can reproduce the issue with a Scale GUI value different from 1. Can you please confirm you are using a Scale GUI or a Message Font Scale value different than 1?

Thanks Flappie, I'll work on a track.  To clarify my issue, I'm in VR.  I was using a scale GUI of 1.5.  When at 1.5, the messages were down in the cockpit of the F18 right over the right DDI.  This was regardless of whether the comms menu was open or not.  By changing the scale back to 1, the messages moved up to about the middle of the right side.  This is "ok" since they don't interfere with the cockpit instruments anymore.  However, before 2.8, as far as I can remember, these messages were always in the upper right corner.  I never noticed them being pushed down because I also use Viacomm and had disabled the comms menu for most things.  So I guess the main thing here is that the message box is pushed down whether the comms menu is open or not.  That's probably what I'm noticing.  I'll post what you asked for as soon as I can.  Thanks!

STKDirty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FlappieOk, I did a few tests.  One thing to clarify, it is not the scale gui setting, it is the message font size setting.  So I created a test mission with a trigger zone that would create a message once the plane left the zone.  I've attached the miz file.  I did 4 tests.

1.  MFS at 1.0/did not open comms menu until after the message appeared.  Result: message was halfway down the screen

2. MFS at 1.0/opened comms menu before the message appeared.  Result: message was in correct spot in upper right

3. MFS at 1.5/did not open comms menu until after the message appeared.  Result: message was down in the cockpit over the right DDI

4. MFS at 1.5/opened comms menu before the message appeared.  Result: message was in correct spot in upper right

I attached a 5th track where I was doing one of the tests and the message appeared in the correct position in the upper right, then all of a sudden it moved down to half way down the screen.  I cannot reproduce this so I don't know what happened here.

Let me know if you need anything else.  Thanks!

STKDirty

tracks.zip TEST.miz options.lua

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @STKDirty. Sorry for not answering sooner. Devs helped me setup my DCS so it looks like VR. I replayed your tracks and I cannot reproduce your issue.

Can your please attach your dcs.log file along with your Export.lua file? I'd like to make sure a mod is not interfering.

Screen_230222_213629.jpg

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Hi @STKDirty. Sorry for not answering sooner. Devs helped me setup my DCS so it looks like VR. I replayed your tracks and I cannot reproduce your issue.

Can your please attach your dcs.log file along with your Export.lua file? I'd like to make sure a mod is not interfering.

Screen_230222_213629.jpg

See attached @Flappie  Thanks!

STKDirty

dcs.zip