DCS Judders on a machine that ran it smooth. Please help

TKNARMZ

This is the only game/sim I play, so having issues is extremely frustrating.  I have tried everything I can think of, I have tried reading everything i could find on the issue online.  I have no clue what is wrong.

I have two systems.  One older, AMD 5900x and the GPU is a 6900xt.  The system was running DCS flawlessly.  In 2d and in VR it had zero issues.  I dont know what FPS it was getting in 2D because I dont play 2D ever since I put a VR headset on.  But in VR it was anywhere from 49fps to 72fps.  I would run it on 144hz using my Valve index.  I did a clean install because I built a new system:  AMD 7900x and Nvidia 4090.  I was going to sell my old system until I realized I was having DCS issues on my new system.

I hope this isnt confusing.  But once I realized I was having issues I thought I would reinstall DCS on my old system just so I could play it until I fixed my new one.

Both systems now have the exact same issue.  Both have extreme Judders in 2D.  So I know its not VR.  When I roll my plane you can tell everything gets supper blurry because the buildings look like they are stretching out until you stop moving.  in 2d my new system is hitting around 200FPS with everything maxed out (this is consistent FPS too, so all these judders dont even show an FPS hit).  I have tried all refresh rates from 60hz all the way to 144hz.  I have tried Gsync on off, Vsync.

I havent built a computer in 10 years.  I have a feeling im missing something stupid.  I cant figure it out.  Both machines doing the same thing when one of them was running it smooth before I wiped it.  The original machine was all up to date, Bios, Drivers.  As far as I can tell I hooked it all up correctly.  

Someone has to have some kind of an idea what is causing this.  

I have done a clean install on both machines about 3 times, thinking i had bad files from downloading them.  I have even replaced my Display Port cable.  Tried running DCS before I installed any other software.  I even tried a very old version of DCS.  

I run 3dmark and hit an extremely high score without issues.  I can play Cyberpunk fully maxed out and its smooth.  

I appreciate anyones help.  Thank you!

AMD 7900x; Nvidia MSI 4090 Trio; MSI x670e MEG ACE; gSkill 64gb; Thrustmaster F16 Control; WinWIng F16 Throttle; Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals; Valve Index VR headset 

1 hour ago, TKNARMZ said:

This is the only game/sim I play, so having issues is extremely frustrating.  I have tried everything I can think of, I have tried reading everything i could find on the issue online.  I have no clue what is wrong.

I have two systems.  One older, AMD 5900x and the GPU is a 6900xt.  The system was running DCS flawlessly.  In 2d and in VR it had zero issues.  I dont know what FPS it was getting in 2D because I dont play 2D ever since I put a VR headset on.  But in VR it was anywhere from 49fps to 72fps.  I would run it on 144hz using my Valve index.  I did a clean install because I built a new system:  AMD 7900x and Nvidia 4090.  I was going to sell my old system until I realized I was having DCS issues on my new system.

I hope this isnt confusing.  But once I realized I was having issues I thought I would reinstall DCS on my old system just so I could play it until I fixed my new one.

Both systems now have the exact same issue.  Both have extreme Judders in 2D.  So I know its not VR.  When I roll my plane you can tell everything gets supper blurry because the buildings look like they are stretching out until you stop moving.  in 2d my new system is hitting around 200FPS with everything maxed out (this is consistent FPS too, so all these judders dont even show an FPS hit).  I have tried all refresh rates from 60hz all the way to 144hz.  I have tried Gsync on off, Vsync.

I havent built a computer in 10 years.  I have a feeling im missing something stupid.  I cant figure it out.  Both machines doing the same thing when one of them was running it smooth before I wiped it.  The original machine was all up to date, Bios, Drivers.  As far as I can tell I hooked it all up correctly.  

Someone has to have some kind of an idea what is causing this.  

I have done a clean install on both machines about 3 times, thinking i had bad files from downloading them.  I have even replaced my Display Port cable.  Tried running DCS before I installed any other software.  I even tried a very old version of DCS.  

I run 3dmark and hit an extremely high score without issues.  I can play Cyberpunk fully maxed out and its smooth.  

I appreciate anyones help.  Thank you!

hello. have a look here and see if it helps. also even though it may not have anything useful, post your dcs.log.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thank you guys for trying to help me.  Both of those suggestions I have tried but went on ahead and tried them again.  No improvements at all. 

It seems like its a timing issue with the HZ.  I have tried another monitor but no luck.  If I drop it to 80HZ  it seems to get better but then in stead of Judders, it stutters real bad.  It acts like it wants the faster HZ.  Like I said, its screaming at almost 200fps but the 3d landscape isnt being drawn fast enough.  I wish the devs would read these and give us their thoughts.

Edited by TKNARMZ

AMD 7900x; Nvidia MSI 4090 Trio; MSI x670e MEG ACE; gSkill 64gb; Thrustmaster F16 Control; WinWIng F16 Throttle; Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals; Valve Index VR headset 

Ill try that.  But I have a question.  Could it just be the monitor? 

I guess no one knows.  One last question if anyone knows.  Can you have a bad monitor which displays horrible ghosting and still have a Clear perfect VR experience.. This would let me know if its my monitor.   Would hate to spend another $500 to find out.

Either way, every single game seems to show judders if moving fast enough.  DCS is by far the worst though.

15 hours ago, TKNARMZ said:

I guess no one knows.  One last question if anyone knows.  Can you have a bad monitor which displays horrible ghosting and still have a Clear perfect VR experience.. This would let me know if its my monitor.   Would hate to spend another $500 to find out.

Either way, every single game seems to show judders if moving fast enough.  DCS is by far the worst though.

monitor and vr are separate displays. one should affect the performance of the other. since you are suspecting the monitor, you could be running into a vsync issue perhaps. try that on and off. also make sure the nvidia cp is not running g sync on a monitor that is not g sync capable. i do not this is possible because the drivers identify the g sync monitors. having the similar issue in another programs directs blame away from the sim too imo. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 12/10/2022 at 5:16 AM, silverdevil said:

monitor and vr are separate displays. one should affect the performance of the other. since you are suspecting the monitor, you could be running into a vsync issue perhaps. try that on and off. also make sure the nvidia cp is not running g sync on a monitor that is not g sync capable. i do not this is possible because the drivers identify the g sync monitors. having the similar issue in another programs directs blame away from the sim too imo. 

Yea, I figured this out when I noticed my monitor was running the program in 2D perfectly.  I thought I saw poor performance when I was in VR and looking at the 2d screen.  It was just showing the exact same thing Im seeing in VR.  But this is now a VR issue.  I even tried buying a new VR headset and that didnt work.  I believe something is interfering. most likely a program.  I have tried a clean install with nothing extra installed but the proper drivers and still had the issue.  Windows issue?  Im still trying to figure this out.  upsetting!

Edited by TKNARMZ

I had hitching issues on my PC (Ryzen 5800X + 6900XT) and found it was some driver setting for the 6900XT that was causing it. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was (ironically) the Radeon Anti-Lag setting.

You may also want to make sure you're RAM profile is correct in the BIOS, but that's a bit more of a long shot. For Intel you'll want to make sure XMP is enabled, and for AMD it's called DOCP.

Ill pay anyone $500 if they can figure out my issue.  Just let me know what you need from me.  Im tired of trying to figure this out without any success.  Went from working perfectly to crap just by doing a Windows Clean Install.  

Just throwing in two ideas here:

- Is Windows Game Mode disabled?  I know in some cases it does more bad than good.  I have mine off.

- In Control Panel > Power Options: make sure it's not running some power saving plan.

Good luck on sorting it!

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

26 minutes ago, Mud said:

Just throwing in two ideas here:

- Is Windows Game Mode disabled?  I know in some cases it does more bad than good.  I have mine off.

- In Control Panel > Power Options: make sure it's not running some power saving plan.

Good luck on sorting it!

Mud

Thank you.. and yes, I have tried those.  Game mode off and On.  Power at Ultimate or something like that.  but I have tried all power settings.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi @TKNARMZ. Please attach your dcs.log file and a dxdiag log.

If you have an internal GPU in your PC and you're not using it, disable it in the BIOS.

I will attach tonight. and I will disable the onboard GPU.. its an MSI x670e MEG ACE.. motherboard. something like that.

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi @TKNARMZ. Please attach your dcs.log file and a dxdiag log.

If you have an internal GPU in your PC and you're not using it, disable it in the BIOS.

Here you go.. hope you find something.  I ran DCS again with the onboard GPU completely disabled.  Didnt help at all.  I went into STEAM and set the graphics all the way down to 50% just to see what it would do.  Runs smoother.  So I opened the performance tab.  I noticed that at my normal Steam graphics settings, 100% for the DCS app and 100% for the Steam App, then set the sampling in DCS to 1.3, its doing something around 14-15.0 MS which is way above the 6.9ms recommended rate.  At 50-% it drops to 6.0.  Something is seriously handicapping my signal to the headset.  and I tried a new headset. so its not the cables.  Its something else.  Its also not any of my PC parts because my other PC that used to run it smoothly is now doing the same thing after a clean install.  

thank you

DxDiag.txt dcs.log

Thank you. Your log says you're running DCS on Windows 8. Is that true? If so, you should consider migrating to W11 or at least W10.

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

If it's not true, please try this:

1. Go to DCS bin folder, right-click DCS.exe, "Properties -> Compatibilty" and untick the checkbox in the "Compatibility mode" section.
  2. Do the same for DCS_updater.exe.

If this does not solve your issue, I see in your dxdiag that youre using the MSI graphics suite (Dragon center or whatever the name). This reminds me of something. Try removing DCS from Dragon Center. It solved another user's big FPS problem:

On 8/28/2020 at 1:02 AM, GatorNutz said:

With your list, I noticed all the MSI services, so I went into my Dragon Center console and noticed that I had DCS listed as a game with the "Extreme Gaming" option turned on.

So, I removed DCS and now I am getting 140 FPS!!!

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thank you. Your log says you're running DCS on Windows 8. Is that true? If so, you should consider migrating to W11 or at least W10.

If it's not true, please try this:

1. Go to DCS bin folder, right-click DCS.exe, "Properties -> Compatibilty" and untick the checkbox in the "Compatibility mode" section.
  2. Do the same for DCS_updater.exe.

If this does not solve your issue, I see in your dxdiag that youre using the MSI graphics suite (Dragon center or whatever the name). This reminds me of something. Try removing DCS from Dragon Center. It solved another user's big FPS problem:

I will try that all today and get back to you.  That windows 98 was a compatibility mode I just selected to see if it made a difference.  I have two machines, one using windows 10 and one windows 11.  I have a feeling this isn't DCS only.  I have a feeling somewhere something isn't set up correctly.  I have tried 3 clean installs with nothing else installed, just drivers, Steam and DCS.  Used the keyboard to fly.  Same results.  Usually I figure problems out like this.  Thank you for trying!

These are the spikes i get when in the lobby of VR steam.  I have contacted Steam and they cant figure it out.  But like I said, its happening to two machines.  

Screenshot 2022-12-23 091036.png

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi @TKNARMZ. Please attach your dcs.log file (from Saved Games/DCS.../Logs), a dxdiag log (howto), and your Export.lua file (from Saved Games/DCS.../Scripts).

Export.lua

DxDiag.txt dcs.log

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Many thanks. I see you own a WinWing device and use a WinWing script for it.

Please try this: rename your Export.lua file so the game cannot find it. Do stutters disappear?

I tried what you said.  It did not help.  This isnt just happening to DCS.  All my VR games suffer right now.   The photo I will add is from Steam at 80hz.  I dont know what my ms should be at using 80HZ,  I dont know what anyone else is getting but I think it should be lower.   The lines you see, it stutters when those show up, as if frames are missing.  Even at a solid 80 FPS.  It doesnt matter, stutters.  If I bump it to 90, more stutters than 80.  Bump it to 120hz and no stutters but the world starts to lag.  Wish I never did a clean install.  something installed that is new, or a setting that changed when a new clean windows is installed.  

Thanks again.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 172728.png

Update:

After downloading FPSvr on Steam.  Found out this is only a DCS issue I am having.  And it is only in VR.  Maybe someone can move the topic to VR issues instead of 2D.

My reprojection is at 99% on the main DCS screen even before starting to fly.  I test three other VR games, IL2 and Half Life Alyx.