AIM-7 is a FOX-3 again

al531246

2 hours ago, FigPucker said:

"aKsHUaLlY"
You're wrong.

ECM was activated immediately after AIM-7 launch, warmed up over the next few seconds, and was emitting by the time the F/A-18C was destroyed…

It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong and it won’t be the last. But going by the Su-27 indicators, it’s 15 seconds from the time you press the “E” key until the system actually goes active.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

3 hours ago, Ironhand said:

It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong and it won’t be the last. But going by the Su-27 indicators, it’s 15 seconds from the time you press the “E” key until the system actually goes active.

Aware of the ECM warmup period, and the test has been well timed to ensure that the jammer is warmed up and emitting before the F/A-18C was destroyed. Arguing over definitions of the word "activate" has no bearing on the test results.

Edited by FigPucker

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately this bug is still present in MP.

My buddy got shot down by AI fired Aim7. It's as if it has a combined SARH/IR seeker.

magic_aim7.png

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

Am 7.1.2023 um 20:41 schrieb al531246:

Because the missile must be launched in HOJ mode. HOJ guidance is completely different from normal guidance.

Also the AIM-7 doesn't have a logic which would auto-select HOJ if a lock is lost. 

To better understand the issue, do you know if that is also true for the R-27R/ER and S530F/D? Or Aim-120/R-77 as well if oyu know. Theres just a completel lack of information in the documentation, as far as I can tell.

The Aim-54 apparently switches automatically back and forth between SARH/ARH and ECM.

Edited by Temetre

16 hours ago, Pavlin_33 said:

Unfortunately this bug is still present in MP.

My buddy got shot down by AI fired Aim7. It's as if it has a combined SARH/IR seeker.

magic_aim7.png

Was your buddy using ECM? The AIM-7 is Homeon Jam (HOJ) capable, meaning it can guide onto active jammers on its own.
So this screenshot in itself doesn't necessarily show a bug.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

8 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Was your buddy using ECM? The AIM-7 is Homeon Jam (HOJ) capable, meaning it can guide onto active jammers on its own.
So this screenshot in itself doesn't necessarily show a bug.

The screenshot shows he was flying a MIG-29A which doesn't have a Jammer in DCS
So the Aim-7 was not using HOJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Redstar10 said:

The screenshot shows he was flying a MIG-29A which doesn't have a Jammer in DCS
So the Aim-7 was not using HOJ

Very good point! (I'm not familiar with the FC3 aircraft)
So yeah, then it looks like the issue is back indeed. 😔

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I tried as I could to replicate the issue in SP, but I can't.

• Track 1 : each target has its own ECM setting (never use, use if locked, ...). Attackers explode 5 seconds after they launch a missile. Missiles loses guidance when attacker dies.
  • Track 2 : same as track 1, only this time all targets set ECM when attackers explode. Missiles loses guidance when attacker dies.
  • Track 3 : same as track 1, only this time all targets set ECM when a missile is fired at them. Missiles loses guidance when attacker dies.

1. AIM-7F.trk 3. AIM-7F_ECM_on_when_targeted.trk 2. AIM-7F_ECM_on_when_attacker_explode.trk

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

I tried as I could to replicate the issue in SP, but I can't.

• Track 1 : each target has its own ECM setting (never use, use if locked, ...). Attackers explode 5 seconds after they launch a missile. Missiles loses guidance when attacker dies.
  • Track 2 : same as track 1, only this time all targets set ECM when attackers explode. Missiles loses guidance when attacker dies.
  • Track 3 : same as track 1, only this time all targets set ECM when a missile is fired at them. Missiles loses guidance when attacker dies.

I'm away from DCS for a few weeks so I can't do testing. But I believe the problem is not that the missile can guide itself, by itself, on the target, but rather it seems to be that the attacker is able to guide the missile no matter its aspect. Even if he's facing away from the target. Which should be impossible with a SARH missile.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flappie said:

New try: I locked a Su-27 (no ECM for him) with my F-15C mode "4", fired the AIM-7F, saw it follow the target, then I changed my course, until the missile lost guidance.

Mmmhhh, in this case, could it be related to this problem affecting many AI units and their guided ammunitions?

• 1 month later...

I have run into this where I:

1. I have the jammer on, bandit fires a FOX-1.
2. I get a missile warning so I turn the jammer off.
3. Bandit gets splashed
4. Bandit's FOX-1 still guides on me even though jammer is off and kills me with no missile warning

On 7/20/2023 at 11:03 PM, Rinz1er said:

I have run into this where I:

1. I have the jammer on, bandit fires a FOX-1.
2. I get a missile warning so I turn the jammer off.
3. Bandit gets splashed
4. Bandit's FOX-1 still guides on me even though jammer is off and kills me with no missile warning

I'll try to reproduce this issue. Which aircraft were involved, please?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 5:54 PM, Flappie said:

Thanks. Well, I cannot reproduce this issue with the R-27ER either.

R-27.trk 185.93 kB · 3 downloads

Do you only witness this in MP? If so, do you do some SP too?

I have only noticed this in MP. In fact I just had this happen again tonight. From an aim7 launched by an F4. I have a track and a tacview but they are long (~50mins) where the only relevant part is in the last minute.