How do you use the 5-state mode dial on your CM2/CM3 Throttle?

roodie

How do you use the 5-state mode dial on your CM2/CM3 Throttle?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use the 5-state mode dial on your CM2/CM3 Throttle?

• Mode switch as advertised
    • Mapped as a normal 5-state dial
    • Other and I will explain
    • None of your business!

It's set up by default as a five state dial. Which I left it as. Frankly, there are already enough buttons that it becomes confusing enough moving between different aircraft, I didn't want to further add to the confusion. Secondly, the programming interface, while very powerful, becomes a little fiddly if you're going to add 'shifted' commands (and five states of them!) as well, since it's all done 'per button'. And it's not very intuitive at all for the more advanced settings like that. Youtube will provide I'm sure, but I didn't. All I did was add buttons in the axis range for the idle cutoff. So, idle cutoff and run, that's two virtual 'buttons' per throttle axis. That was enough for me. But, one tip: The two way red switches, of which there are four, are set up oddly from the factory - they are either 'on' or 'off' by default even though they have two 'physical' inputs as you'd expect - you might want to set them up as two button controls, ie. one input per position. Something to bear in mind. Once you get used to the idea of 'physical' vs 'output' buttons, and the way the software works, it's easier to understand. And then always remember to upload it to the device once you've made the change.

Yeah I left mine as it came default and really do not use any of the other modes than the first one. I have more than enough buttons combined and really do not need addtional buttons on those modes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use it in no mode modifier profile and use it to control profiles inside joystick gremlin for all my aircraft

Beauty of this way is that it can control any joystick device even if not virpil

see my signature for my tutorials on this stuff

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I use it for the ACM modes on the F-15 Eagle and fuel dump for the Hornet and Tomcat #2 dial other then that  I haven’t found much use for the other positions yet.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 3 weeks later...

I use the mode dial as a DCS modifier. In VPC software / device firmware, they are just buttons and the only thing I have them do is change the color of all of the LEDs so I know one of the mode dial buttons is being held down easily. In DCS, I assign each mode (aside from the first) as a modifier. That way I can have a lot of buttons and each mode can have a consistent them acros s modules. Mode 2 might be radio+comms, Mode 3 would be lighting etc. For the most part, any mode other than the default is for startup or non-combat / non-common functionality. The LED colors are critical because in DCS, if you're holding down a modifier button on any controller, no other controls will work and it leads to confusion when you press a button on another device and it just doesn't do what you expect it to do. 99% of the time, this is because you have a modifier held down on another controller.

Aside from "having a physical replica" of a throttle, the CM3 is pretty much perfection for me. The only way they could make this thing better is if they included configurable magnetic positional switches, and could be set based on game state. That is, the way the JFS switch auto turns off on the F/A-18 would be seen through the module export, and would trigger the controller to return the switch on the throttle. I would want that optional as different modules have wildly different natural behavior so through firmware/software you could say which switches you wanted to behave as momentary or not and in which positions. I don't even know if it's physically possible to do such a thing, but it would be hella expensive for one; and add serious power consumption. Surely it would need it's own power source beyond what USB delivers over type A ports. Maybe type C 35W+?

Edited by EbonySeraphim
added hype mumbo jumbo
  • Thanks 2

CPU: 5950x || Memory: 64GB || GPU: RTX 4090

Input: Virpil CM3, TM F/A-18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, WW F-16EX grip on TM Warthog base, Virpil CP1 and CP2, Cougar MFD x2 / w CubeSim screens, StreamDeck XL x2, StreamDeck 15-key, TrackIR5

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 1:12 PM, ARM505 said:

All I did was add buttons in the axis range for the idle cutoff. So, idle cutoff and run, that's two virtual 'buttons' per throttle axis.

I don't want to derail this thread, but could you please lead me to an explanation of how to do exactly this with my new VPC throttle?

Does it keep the "usual" throttle behaviour once you get over the idle detent (coming from cut off)?

edit: disregard. I've found this thread here:

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

Would be nice if the face plates were easily removed, so we could replace them with custom plates, kind of like BlackHog and TMWH. There are people lurking in the forums that make some very nice ones. 

Sempre Fortis

15 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but could you please lead me to an explanation of how to do exactly this with my new VPC throttle?

Does it keep the "usual" throttle behaviour once you get over the idle detent (coming from cut off)?

edit: disregard. I've found this thread here:

That thread is outdated now.

Here is my method for defining detents, afterburners and modules without them. It has been found to be useful by quite a few people. I hope it helps. Give it as try.

Virpil Detents setup description.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

22 minutes ago, imacken said:

That thread is outdated now.

Here is my method for defining detents, afterburners and modules without them. It has been found to be useful by quite a few people. I hope it helps. Give it as try.

Virpil Detents setup description.zip 13.67 kB · 0 downloads

thanks a lot. yeah, that thread is not for the current version of Virpil software, but it finally showed me the way to getting things sorted. Biggest issue was not having a "result button" anymore. But Virpil decided to simply create "physical" buttons when needed by "axis-to-buttons" (or whatever they call them). I'm ok with that, now! 😉

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Give my method a try.  It's very efficient and saves you virtual buttons.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 1/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, HC_Official said:

I use it in no mode modifier profile and use it to control profiles inside joystick gremlin for all my aircraft

Beauty of this way is that it can control any joystick device even if not virpil

see my signature for my tutorials on this stuff

Yeah, i've been doing similar (but use Joy2Key rather than Joystick Gremlin) as I have a VKB stick. Plus I could just reassign existing mappings to new buttons from my old throttle config set up the same way, which is saving a fair amount of time.

EDIT: I ended up trying Joystick Gremlin as well and have started using that now as being able to do multiple things when the switch is thrown was useful e.g. as well as changing to another set of mappings, I can use it to set the aircraft master mode (e.g. press 1 when I switch to my AA specific configuration, or 2 when I go to AG).  A limitation on Joy2Key was it'd change the stick config but not let you do anything else in response to that event.

Edited by bfr

• 6 months later...

Don't mean to necro this thread, but just wanted to add my two penneth' in case someone else finds it useful.

I've just changed my 5-way switch to control views. So 1 is the default cockpit, 2 is released weapon, 3 is external view, 4 is LSO, not found a use for 5 yet. I did think about putting either ground or air targets on one of the positions and using the rotary encoder below to cycle through, but not tried it yet.

(Please note, to use it this way, you need to configure the 5-way swtich for each position to be a momentary-on switch on the virpil config tool)

Mind you I have the CM1, but still applies

I use it as 5-way AND shift state for the F-14

As a 5-way it selects Take off, Cruise, A/A, A/G and Landing switches on the right panel

while the Shift State assign the 2x4 and 3 momentary toggles to the specific functions required in those modes

I did a (somewhat out of date) topic on this:

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

On 1/6/2023 at 10:53 AM, roodie said:

Just ordered one and I am curious about how do you use the mode dial.

Just changed mine to 5 modes, easy via YT videos

I use the modes for  Startup, Weapons, Radio, Landing and Views.
Doesnt take long to get used to mode switching.

Regards

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

• 1 month later...