OpenXR Toolkit with new DCS release? Not working

KCOOL

Hi 

Is OpenXR Toolkit working with today's DCS release? Not for me. I promise I did not touch anything.

I saw a HUGE improvement in performance without the toolkit, anyway. But less sharpening. 

Best

Edited by KCOOL

• KCOOL changed the title to OpenXR Toolkit with new DCS release? Not working

Working fine for me and several other reports on my Discord. Seen good reports with G2, Quest 2, and Pimax (EDIT: Add Quest 2 after report below).

However the bad news is for Varjo users, where it just won't work because the new engine uses VARJO_quad_views, and this will not be supported. Unless there is an option (maybe ED can tell us) to disable quad views, there will not be support for Varjo anymore.

Also if you are on WMR and using Motion reprojection enabled via OpenXR Toolkit, you want to disable Motion reprojection. There's a bug in the game engine that causes that to crash (not related to OpenXR Toolkit or OpenXR for WMR).

Edited by mbucchia

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

G2 here. I cannot get past the menu with Toolkit enabled regardless of reprojection setting in Open XR tools. If I disable the Toolkit missions will load, however performance is terrible and the sound is bugged (silence for the most part, but some switches can be heard)  

When I first started DCS after the update the Toolkit intro popped up and all my settings were at default. I then turned on reprojection, HAM mask etc before loading a mission. I'm guessing that's why I can't get past the menu, because I have reprojection enabled in the Toolkit but I'm unable to open it to change it due to DCS crashing.

Is there a file I can delete to return Toolkit DCS settings to default?

EDIT - I found "Safe Mode" in Toolkit settings.

Edited by oz555

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, mbucchia said:

Working fine for me and several other reports on my Discord. Seen good reports with G2 and Pimax. Don't know about Quest.

However the bad news is for Varjo users, where it just won't work because the new engine uses VARJO_quad_views, and this will not be supported. Unless there is an option (maybe ED can tell us) to disable quad views, there will not be support for Varjo anymore.

Also if you are on WMR and using Motion reprojection enabled via OpenXR Toolkit, you want to disable Motion reprojection. There's a bug in the game engine that causes that to crash (not related to OpenXR Toolkit or OpenXR for WMR).

Quest2 works just fine (OpenXR is enabled as default runtime in Oculus app).

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

3 minutes ago, oz555 said:

G2 here. I cannot get past the menu with Toolkit enabled regardless of reprojection setting in Open XR tools. If I disable the Toolkit missions will load, however performance is terrible and the sound is bugged (silence for the most part, but some switches can be heard)  

When I first started DCS after the update the Toolkit intro popped up and all my settings were at default. I then turned on reprojection, HAM mask etc before loading a mission. I'm guessing that's why I can't get past the menu, because I have reprojection enabled in the Toolkit but I'm unable to open it to change it due to DCS crashing.

Is there a file I can delete to return Toolkit DCS settings to default?

There is a safe mode option in the desktop companion app. Use that to start the game, then restore defaults from the menu.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/troubleshooting.html#start-in-safe-mode

Sounds like your issue is that you had enabled Motion Reprojection indeed.

• Thanks 1

Hi 
Is OpenXR Toolkit working with today's DCS release? Not for me. I promise I did not touch anything.
I saw a HUGE improvement in performance without the toolkit, anyway. But less sharpening. 
Best
What headset?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, KCOOL said:

Hi 

Best

If this is with OpenBeta and you updated then there has been a huge change with OpenXR!

Have a look at the 2023 patch discussion thread:

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• ED Team

Open xr tool kit is working but if you have motion reprojection forced on you will get a crash. 

If it is set to auto or off there is no crash 

try disabling openxr tool kit or using its safe mode as a work around

We are trying to find a fix for this currently 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Open xr tool kit is working but if you have motion reprojection forced on you will get a crash. 

If it is set to auto or off there is no crash 

We are trying to find a fix for this currently 

Thanks.

Can you also check with the dev team if there is a way to disable usage of XR_VARJO_quad_views for Varjo users, via a command-line argument for example?

That's an atypical mode and it is breaking some of the mods out there.

Cc @zildac

Also, apps should always check for view configuration availability via xrEnumerateViewConfigurations(). That doesn't seem to be the case here and DCS seems to activate XR_VIEW_CONFIGURATION_TYPE_PRIMARY_QUAD_VARJO regardless of whether it is enumerated, as long as XR_VARJO_quad_views is available from the runtime. This is not a conformant behavior when using OpenXR.

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 3

@BIGNEWY besides CTD related to reprojection, could it be possible please to check the VR centering too.

For some reasons in my case the hangar shows upside down, and back to front.... VR centering button puts me in this weird position and have no idea how can I reset this. My headset is centered properly in WMR, and also the hangar shows correctly if I am using SteamVR

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, Abburo said:

@BIGNEWY besides CTD related to reprojection, could it be possible please to check the VR centering too.

For some reasons in my case the hangar shows upside down, and back to front.... VR centering button puts me in this weird position and have no idea how can I reset this. My headset is centered properly in WMR, and also the hangar shows correctly if I am using SteamVR

have you ever used the the eye alignment tool here on the forum? 

In your saved games dcs folder do you have a file related to your headset? If so delete it and retry. 

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
30 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Thanks.

Can you also check with the dev team if there is a way to disable usage of XR_VARJO_quad_views for Varjo users, via a command-line argument for example?

That's an atypical mode and it is breaking some of the mods out there.

Cc @zildac

Also, apps should always check for view configuration availability via xrEnumerateViewConfigurations(). That doesn't seem to be the case here and DCS seems to activate XR_VIEW_CONFIGURATION_TYPE_PRIMARY_QUAD_VARJO regardless of whether it is enumerated, as long as XR_VARJO_quad_views is available from the runtime. This is not a conformant behavior when using OpenXR.

I will ask about this also. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@BIGNEWYPlease provide instruction for using OpenXR tools for Oculus Quest 2 users.

I don't see the pop-up when starting DCS anymore, nor can I show the menu with ctrl-f2.

After the update i noticed it when starting DCS via the Oculus Home (normal procedure). After switching to the Oculus runtime and back to OpenXR (through Oculus tooling) i don't see the options anymore.

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, dutchili said:

@BIGNEWYPlease provide instruction for using OpenXR tools for Oculus Quest 2 users.

I don't see the pop-up when starting DCS anymore, nor can I show the menu with ctrl-f2.

After the update i noticed it when starting DCS via the Oculus Home (normal procedure). After switching to the Oculus runtime and back to OpenXR (through Oculus tooling) i don't see the options anymore.

Sorry I am not sure I dont have the quest 2, I will see what I can find however 

thanks

27 minutes ago, Abburo said:

@BIGNEWY ... no need to load the team with this... just found out the issue was due to XRNeckSafer ... i have uninstalled this app and everything back to normal for now !

Thank you!

thanks for letting me know

12 minutes ago, dutchili said:

Are you sure OpenXR Toolkit is enabled? It should work, the "ctrl+f2" menu when booting DCS only has to show at first start, on next ones you should make it appear pushing ctrl+f2

Apart from that, i think if anyone has to provide instructions to how to use OpenXR tools is the developer of that software, who isnt ED

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

1 hour ago, Abburo said:

@BIGNEWY ... no need to load the team with this... just found out the issue was due to XRNeckSafer ... i have uninstalled this app and everything back to normal for now !

Thank you!

This is NOT just about XRNecksafer. As stated, the issue is the way DCS is enumerating the capabilities in relation to OpenXR for the given HMD. For the Varjo this results in OXRTK no longer working when attempting to use native DCS OXR. @BIGNEWY please do report @mbucchia findings to the team. Thankyou.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

35 minutes ago, zildac said:

This is NOT just about XRNecksafer. As stated, the issue is the way DCS is enumerating the capabilities in relation to OpenXR for the given HMD. For the Varjo this results in OXRTK no longer working when attempting to use native DCS OXR. @BIGNEWY please do report @mbucchia findings to the team. Thankyou.

Your issue seems slightly different from my side... even they could be somehow related... however XRNEckSafer was the one getting me odd results. Without it everything is back to normal on my HP G2 headset. The XRNeckSafer developer indeed found there were some changes within DCS on the last update and will attempt to fix from his side as well.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

29 minutes ago, Abburo said:

Your issue seems slightly different from my side... even they could be somehow related... however XRNEckSafer was the one getting me odd results. Without it everything is back to normal on my HP G2 headset. The XRNeckSafer developer indeed found there were some changes within DCS on the last update and will attempt to fix from his side as well.

The issue I and @mbucchiaare talking about is specifically related to Varjo headsets and the way in which the "new" OpenXR DCS enumerates them. But yes, there are likely issues affecting other headsets too, albeit for different reasons.

Turbo mode caused freezing for me. After switching off there haven’t been any problems.

• Like 1

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

16 hours ago, Shiroka said:

Not for me, freezes on startup.

Same here - did you start a thread about it ? 

The game boots the first few seconds, I have 2-3 seconds on the WMR, and then my Reverb G2 only shows black screen with white dots 

image.png

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

1 minute ago, Thanatos31 said:

The game boots the first few seconds, I have 2-3 seconds on the WMR, and then my Reverb G2 only shows black screen with white dots 

Are you running with motion reprojection forced on? In which case you will need to disable it until a fix comes.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat