HUD Brightness

BuzzU

It looks like the upgrade from 2.7 to 2.8 may have been a 'downgrade' for me in as far as the HUD symbology goes.  I'd like to do 'before and after' tests. How do I remove 2.8 and go back to 2.7 (I don't have a Windows Restore from 2.7 to 2.8). Possible?

My desktop specs: nVidia GTX 1070ti on a Dell 27" 2560x1440 G-Sync monitor (Model S2716DGR at 120 dpi, 144Hz refresh rate), 32 GB RAM, and Win 10 Pro.

At 'Instant Action', 'Free Flight', and Options at High settings; frame rates are 47-53 fps without anti-virus but with VPN on. No add-ons or processes other than a screen capture app, Microsoft Edge and OneNote running on the background. Single player only. Thank you.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

36 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

It looks like the upgrade from 2.7 to 2.8 may have been a 'downgrade' for me in as far as the HUD symbology goes.  I'd like to do 'before and after' tests. How do I remove 2.8 and go back to 2.7 (I don't have a Windows Restore from 2.7 to 2.8). Possible?

My desktop specs: nVidia GTX 1070ti on a Dell 27" 2560x1440 G-Sync monitor (Model S2716DGR at 120 dpi, 144Hz refresh rate), 32 GB RAM, and Win 10 Pro.

At 'Instant Action', 'Free Flight', and Options at High settings; frame rates are 47-53 fps without anti-virus but with VPN on. No add-ons or processes other than a screen capture app, Microsoft Edge and OneNote running on the background. Single player only. Thank you.

Hard way - there are DCS updater command line options you can look up

Easy way - SkateZilla's Updater/Launcher GUI

Just to clarify, it sounds like the only people seeing this problem are using a black HUD font mod?  That would have been good to clarify from the outset

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

I hadn't installed the black font when I discovered the default font at full brightness on entering the cockpit. As a matter of fact is was a new install of DCS and all that was installed was the A-10C II with no mods.

So, there was nothing to clarify.

Buzz

20 hours ago, BuzzU said:

I hadn't installed the black font when I discovered the default font at full brightness on entering the cockpit. As a matter of fact is was a new install of DCS and all that was installed was the A-10C II with no mods.

So, there was nothing to clarify.

Well, in retrospect, then, that would have been good to clarify! 🙂 

Everybody should see the change to the green font if it's like what I had. Nobody has said they do, so I guess it only happened to me. I have no idea why. Even a clean new install and I get the new result.

I made it quite clear before the black font was mentioned Jay. I hadn't installed the black font when I started this thread. Stop looking for something that wasn't there.

Buzz

14 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Everybody should see the change to the green font if it's like what I had. Nobody has said they do, so I guess it only happened to me. I have no idea why. Even a clean new install and I get the new result.

I made it quite clear before the black font was mentioned Jay. I hadn't installed the black font when I started this thread. Stop looking for something that wasn't there.

I think you summed up the problem nicely there!

Go here.

Eagle Dynamics/DCS World Open Beta/Mods/aircraft/A-10C_2/cockpit/scripts/HUD/Indicator/HUD_init

Now, cut and paste the HUD_init file to your desktop. Double click the HUD_init file and scroll all the way to the bottom. You'll see a line day color {0, 255/255, 0, 255/255}

Change it to {0, 0, 0, 255/255}

Save it and cut/paste the HUD_init file back into the Indicator folder.

One more thing when you're doing this. When it asks you if you want to continue. Click the continue button.

When it the cockpit. You're need to brighten up the black font with the iten rocker switch.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

• 4 weeks later...

@BuzzU....do you or anybody know what these specific numbers, and the sequence refers to? I've got sh#tty eyes and wouldn't mind playing around to get a darker green color.

Thanks

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

3 minutes ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@BuzzU....do you or anybody know what these specific numbers, and the sequence refers to? I've got sh#tty eyes and wouldn't mind playing around to get a darker green color.

Thanks

Values for RGB (Red, Green, Blue) if that is what you are asking. 

22 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Values for RGB (Red, Green, Blue) if that is what you are asking. 

If the first 3 values represent R,G,B then a darker green might be {0, 51/255, 0, 255/255}, and I still have no idea what the last series (255/255) represents

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I played around with this and couldn't get a Dark Blue for daytime, and the Black didn't help me. But I did get a Yellow that surprisingly works well in Day and some may want to try. It definitely was brighter & stronger than the Green for my sh#tty eyes.

Editing that LUA as you instructed and replace that line with "  {255/255, 255/255, 0, 255/255} " did the trick for me.

Cheers,

4 hours ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

I played around with this and couldn't get a Dark Blue for daytime, and the Black didn't help me. But I did get a Yellow that surprisingly works well in Day and some may want to try. It definitely was brighter & stronger than the Green for my sh#tty eyes.

Editing that LUA as you instructed and replace that line with "  {255/255, 255/255, 0, 255/255} " did the trick for me.

Cheers,

Flipping the HUD switch to NIGHT should give you an amber that is actually quite bright.  I've heard from a couple people that it's not actually used for night since it's not NVG compatible, but I'm unsure if that's correct.

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Flipping the HUD switch to NIGHT should give you an amber that is actually quite bright.  I've heard from a couple people that it's not actually used for night since it's not NVG compatible, but I'm unsure if that's correct.

It’s NVG compatible, just doesn’t show up as well from what I heard. The filter is easily damaged by direct sunlight though.

3 hours ago, ASAP said:

It’s NVG compatible, just doesn’t show up as well from what I heard. The filter is easily damaged by direct sunlight though.

That's cool, I didn't realize it was just a filter.  The fact that it is BRIGHTER than the green HUD is clearly a DCSism, then 🙂 

28 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

That's cool, I didn't realize it was just a filter.  The fact that it is BRIGHTER than the green HUD is clearly a DCSism, then 🙂 

Yup, It’s literally just a transparent amber piece of glass/plastic that slides in front of the HUD projector. I’d expect it would be dimmer if anything,  but if you’re flying at night you’d also run the HUD intensity down when flying at night. 

The only time I’ve used it is if the hud gets really washed out in the clouds during the day.  which probably isn’t realistic 

@jaylw314 & ASAP, I'll get HUD screenshots of the my Yellow and the existing Amber ( which is RGB (255,102,0)} to post. The Yellow is brighter than both but not overpowering from my perspective and works quite well in Day. 

1 hour ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@jaylw314 & ASAP, I'll get HUD screenshots of the my Yellow and the existing Amber ( which is RGB (255,102,0)} to post. The Yellow is brighter than both but not overpowering from my perspective and works quite well in Day. 

Oh I believe you, I was just pointing out the NIGHT setting is (ironically) easier to see than the green during the day sometimes, and easier to get without editing anything as an alternative

Edited by jaylw314

When the day is a little darker or dawn and dusk I use the nighttime yellow. When looking into the sun or clouds I use day time which I have set as black.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

• 1 year later...

Great tip to changing to black. I was beginning to get a little frustrated trying to see the green HUD in bright sun desert and cloud conditions, even when at max intensity. I just tried these changes; yellow first, but I like the black better. Thanks. 

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5