Foveated Rendering Support for DCS

hannibal

Hi @Tepnox, the resulting resolution is clearly too much even for a 4090.

Try resetting to defaults, especially:

• peripheral_multiplier=0.4
  • focus_multiplier=1.1
  • horizontal_focus_section=0.5
  • vertical_focus_section=0.5

With these values if you render at 2.0x supersampling (OTT) the values will be:

• peripheral resolution: 1721x1772 (0.400x density)
  • focus resolution: 2367x2437 (1,100x density)

This makes a total of 8.6MP

Without DFR and a 1.6x supersampling in OTT the total resolution per eye will be 3440x3552 which is about 12MP.

The resolution that you get in the DFR LOG makes a total of 14MP per eye, it's a lot.
My recommendation: try to make it work by default and go up the supersampling in OTT while keeping 1.0x in the Oculus app.

Today I have been doing tests and in the next few days I will try to make a video with the recommended settings.
Also, keep in mind that we can use the FOV MULTIPLIER (0.9 Horizontal and 0.9 Vertical) in OTT to gain extra performance.

Cheers,
Ismael
PS: Thanks @mbucchia 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My suggestion with the week I´ve been playing with the settings of Meta-Foveated is to do the things in some order :

1. Set the Oculus app to max resolution at the Hz you aim to play. (72, 80, 90)

2. Adjust the "focus multiplier" from 1.0 to look for the actual clarity you are looking for.

3. Adjust the "peripheral multiplier" to a level you are comfortable with, this has a bigger impact on performance than the focus multiplier as this area is bigger.

4. Adjust the rest of the settings to your liking.

Obviously, your experience may vary, depending on your hardware and DCS settings, but the usual is to get around 50% more performance with the default settings, as soon as your CPU frame times are not as high as the hype for the F-15E.

5. Enjoy!!

Edited by mimamema
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mimamema said:

My suggestion with the week I´ve been playing with the settings of Meta-Foveated is to do the things in some order :

2. Adjust the "focus multiplier" from 1.0 to look for the actual clarity you are looking for.

3. Adjust the "peripheral multiplier" to a level you are comfortable with, this has a bigger impact on performance than the focus multiplier as this area is bigger.

Obviously, your experience may vary, depending on your hardware and DCS settings, but the usual is to get around 50% more performance with the default settings, as soon as your CPU frame times are not as high as the hype for the F-15E.

5. Enjoy!!

Hi Mimemema,

I don't seem to be getting any performance increase even though I can see that the foveated rendering is working. I've set the highest resolution in the oculus app, left meta-foveated at default but I'm still limited by GPU in the same way I normally am when not using foveated rendering. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

11 hours ago, mimamema said:

5. Enjoy!!

Thanks, to clarify, 2 & 3 are in the config of the new software ? And you are saying dont add any supersampling in OTT before you try steps 2 & 3 ? And does supersampling in OTT then become superflous? Finally, what other settings do you mean in 4?

Thanks, 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1. Hardware optimization: Wow, on a default setting of Meta foveated rendering app, I have constantly 45fps, which means smooth moving picture. GPU temp is not over 55degC at a use of up to 200W - MSI 4090 Suprim X). Oculus settings are 90Hz and 4704x2384.

2. App's features: what I was even more impressed, is the Clarity in the very center where my eyes are pointing, much, much better then before; my reference point are the top and bottom numbers for acquisition Cursor on the FCR). Now I can see both clearly, before I just couldn't.

ps: I only change Turbo mode to 0.

Thank you @mbucchia.

Edited by skywalker22

My experience so far.  Please note that I only got my QP a few days ago and am very, very late to the whole OpenXR Toolkit party.  13900KF / 4090.  I have found the DFR to work very well, like others I believe I'm occasionally seeing what has been described as a dark rectangle, although I would perhaps say very thin grey line.  My aim is to consistently hold 72 fps (which in this test I do), so I use MSI Afterburner to record my GPU % util and use that as a "measurement" of performance.  Flying the same mission, I see the following:

I reckon that's around a 10% reduction in gpu util.  Very useful, although I suspect I'm going to have to tweak the settings somewhat as the peripheral artifacting is a bit too noticeable for my liking.  Is this more or less what others are seeing? 

I also include results using OpenXR Toolkit with FFR turned on only.  At qual/wide and pef/narrow for comparison

peripheral_multiplier=0.4
focus_multiplier=1.0
horizontal_focus_section=0.5
vertical_focus_section=0.5
vertical_focus_bias=0.25
turbo_mode=0
smoothen_focus_view_edges=0.2
sharpen_focus_view=0.0

2023-06-22 11:07:56 +0100: Recommended peripheral resolution: 1126x1158 (0.400x density)
2023-06-22 11:07:56 +0100: Recommended focus resolution: 1408x1448 (1.000x density)

Why is vertical_focus_bias set by default to 0.25 and not, as I would've thought more logically, at 0.0?

Is there any cost to turning on sharpening?  Any value to it in combination with the settings I'm using?

In case anyone wants to compare I have attached the mission I used (F-18 over Dubai).  The autopilot is turned on automatically at mission start, so can just sit back and watch.  My graphs are up to the end of the first turn, keeping my head steadily looking forward.

(frametime scale is 0 - 50 ms)

image.png

image.png

Screen_230622_110842.jpg

Screen_230622_110900.jpgnull

benchmark_01.miz

image.png

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Thanks @mbucchia for this great tool! First, it works with OpenXR Toolkit, based on the only trial run I have. I use the default setting and tried my favourite scenario -- dogfighting a J-11A in F-14B with snowy Caucasus mountain at the background. The studdering and ghosting have gone way less!

Any suggestion I can get rid of those pesky ghosts? (apart from calling Ghostbusters?)

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

So I also get the crashes if I take the headset off - I believe Turbo has something to do with it based upon this. Do we just blue-tac the sensor...?! EDIT: After turning Turbo Off I can confirm that the crash is no longer experienced

I also get the rectangle (a different kind of Fridge) under some lighting situations that follows my eye tracking. A reported DCS issue from what I remember reading

Meta needs to get it's life together. Through this process I kept asking myself, how many times and in how many places do we need to enable eye tracking and developer tools. One toggle which syncs to settings inside the headset, phone app and oculus app on the PC should be the way

If you haven't calibrated eye tracking (inside the VR Quest Pro Settings, then I highly recommend it)

I don't have either one of the folders... Did you guys just create the directories and then opened Notepad and saved it inside the folder as settings.cfg?

image.png

Edited by nikoel

2 minutes ago, nikoel said:

I also get the rectangle (a different kind of Fridge) under some lighting situations that follows my eye tracking.

Have you forgotten to turn off Bloom Effect? It's on the VR settings page in DCS.

2 minutes ago, slughead said:

Have you forgotten to turn off Bloom Effect? It's on the VR settings page in DCS.

No, bloom and the lens effects are off

This is what I am experiencing. Only in some specific lighting conditions eg. First Mission of Eastern Friendship

Edited by nikoel

1 minute ago, nikoel said:

No, bloom and the lens effects are off

I was getting that. I've not done a lot of testing though since turning Bloom Effect off to fully confirm that it worked or not. However, my one test after turning it off seemed to do the trick. I will play some more... itching to fly but have family stuff to do. 🤣

• Like 1

vor 21 Minuten schrieb nikoel:

I don't have either one of the folders... Did you guys just create the directories and then opened Notepad and saved it inside the folder as settings.cfg?

image.png

I had 1. after the first run of DCS with MetaFov. Log file is in there.

Folder 2. is there after installation, but isn't named "Meta-Foveated" - it's "OpenXR-Meta Foveated" or similar. (not at home atm)

Edited by Sile

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

image.png

I find that the second folder path was wrong, it should be something like OpenXR-..Meta-Foveated

The log is certainly there.

As for hanging up/crashing when taking off the headset, there would be an error shown in the Meta Foveated log, which is the same error, iirc, as if the Developer mode was not on.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

6 hours ago, Flyingfish said:

Hi Mimemema,

I don't seem to be getting any performance increase even though I can see that the foveated rendering is working. I've set the highest resolution in the oculus app, left meta-foveated at default but I'm still limited by GPU in the same way I normally am when not using foveated rendering. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

One way to appreciate the performance increase is by opening the HUD in OTT or ODT and watching the frame time numbers. I you have ASW on forced to half rate you won't see any increase. You should check the meta-foveated log as well just in case is not working. Check on Mbucchia´s wiki how to do it. nullnull

image.png

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Thanks, to clarify, 2 & 3 are in the config of the new software ? And you are saying dont add any supersampling in OTT before you try steps 2 & 3 ? And does supersampling in OTT then become superflous? Finally, what other settings do you mean in 4?

Thanks, 

The settings that are in the attached image below.

And in regards to supersampling, the idea is that this meta-foveated layer is doing that supersampling where you are looking at and downsampling where you are not looking at, that is where you gain the performance. If you use supersampling you are adding more resolution and then you have to lower your settings in meta-foveated. When I suggested that way of configuration is with the idea of creating a base where we all can test from.  If you start mixing up Oculus app supersampling, ODT/OTT one, and then Meta-Foveated it all becomes crazy and unnecessary as the numbers in the end are going to be the same at some point to gain the same performance.null

image.png

11 minutes ago, mimamema said:

The settings that are in the attached image below.

And in regards to supersampling, the idea is that this meta-foveated layer is doing that supersampling where you are looking at and downsampling where you are not looking at, that is where you gain the performance. If you use supersampling you are adding more resolution and then you have to lower your settings in meta-foveated. When I suggested that way of configuration is with the idea of creating a base where we all can test from.  If you start mixing up Oculus app supersampling, ODT/OTT one, and then Meta-Foveated it all becomes crazy and unnecessary as the numbers in the end are going to be the same at some point to gain the same performance.null

image.png

Under vertical focus bias you put in '0.25DD'

What does the 'DD' do?

3 hours ago, Hippo said:

Why is vertical_focus_bias set by default to 0.25 and not, as I would've thought more logically, at 0.0?

I'm not sure. Remember that I don't have a Quest Pro. I use very similar code between my projects and the headsets I support (Pimax/Omnicept/Quest Pro). Somehow this bias isn't needed on the other ones. Not sure why it is on Quest Pro. I trust my beta testers!

3 hours ago, Hippo said:

Is there any cost to turning on sharpening?  Any value to it in combination with the settings I'm using?

Sharpening-only has a very little cost. I haven't even tested without it, but with it I found the end-to-end overhead of the entire API layer to be less than 200 microseconds (it was closer to 160 microseconds on my 4070, and I rounded up). I suspect if you remove CAS you probably go down to 80-100 microseconds. The performance gain is likely imperceptible, but I'm sure the quality will suffer more...

2 hours ago, Sile said:

Folder 2. is there after installation, but isn't named "Meta-Foveated" - it's "OpenXR-Meta Foveated" or similar. (not at home atm)

Thanks, fixed!

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

Under vertical focus bias you put in '0.25DD'

What does the 'DD' do?

That's a typo. The parsing would probably just ignore it at this point and still see 0.25.

• Thanks 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

3 hours ago, Hippo said:

Meta don't expose raw eye tracking data - only a processed version designed for 'social' (e.g. expressions in Horizon Worlds/Workrooms).

I'm just guessing this part, but it could be they decided that including an offset in their data gave more understandable/human-looking expressions in Horizon. For eye-tracked foveated rendering, we need where you're actually looking instead of 'what looks best to other avatars'.

• Thanks 1

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

1 minute ago, actually_fred said:

Meta don't expose raw eye tracking data - only a processed version designed for 'social' (e.g. expressions in Horizon Worlds/Workrooms).

I'm just guessing this part, but it could be they decided that including an offset in their data gave more understandable/human-looking expressions in Horizon. For eye-tracked foveated rendering, we need where you're actually looking instead of 'what looks best to other avatars'.

Possibly the reason but also quite possibly my bug too.

OpenXR Toolkit DFR on Quest Pro doesn't need that offset for some reason ^^

It's probably something I need to get to the bottom of, but was OK to release as-is for now.

• Thanks 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

I still get the issue with Application Frame drops with very high CPU latency, even on lowest Meta settings (2784x1408 @ 72 Hz) and without OTT Supersampling. So this has to be another issue than my (previous) high resolution.

@mbucchia  Thx for the effort for this tool, much appreciated.

Looks like I will pass and wait for full OpenXR integration. Going back to OpenXR Fixed FOV rendering for now.

Good luck boys!

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

3 hours ago, nikoel said:

So I also get the crashes if I take the headset off - I believe Turbo has something to do with it based upon this. Do we just blue-tac the sensor...?! EDIT: After turning Turbo Off I can confirm that the crash is no longer experienced

I also get the rectangle (a different kind of Fridge) under some lighting situations that follows my eye tracking. A reported DCS issue from what I remember reading

Meta needs to get it's life together. Through this process I kept asking myself, how many times and in how many places do we need to enable eye tracking and developer tools. One toggle which syncs to settings inside the headset, phone app and oculus app on the PC should be the way

If you haven't calibrated eye tracking (inside the VR Quest Pro Settings, then I highly recommend it)

image.png

This is the path:

C:\Program Files\OpenXR-Meta-Foveated

@mbucchia can you also fix that on your website? thx

1 hour ago, mbucchia said:

Sharpening-only has a very little cost. I haven't even tested without it, but with it I found the end-to-end overhead of the entire API layer to be less than 200 microseconds (it was closer to 160 microseconds on my 4070, and I rounded up). I suspect if you remove CAS you probably go down to 80-100 microseconds. The performance gain is likely imperceptible, but I'm sure the quality will suffer more...

Any chance of sharpening coming to the Aero DFR settings? Or would it even matter?

Thanks for all you do!!

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, recoilfx said:

Has anyone done any test regarding MSAA with the foveated rendering? Does it make sense to increase the focus_multiplier more and drop MSAA all together?

First of all, many thanks to mbucchia for this amazing tool ! 

Regarding MSSA, i noticed some shimmering on textures (specially on terrain), which was not present without foveating rendering.
So i tried to change my MSAA settings (i was using 4x), but it seems that MSAA selector has not any effect. I got same result with 4x,2x or off.

Please can you confirm it ? Would it be possible that ED disables MSAA when using quad view rendering ?

Regards,