Is high RPM normal when pulling collective?

FalcoGer
Go to solution Solved by bradmick,

When I pull more collective, especially on takeoff, I get rotor RPM high if I pull too much, too fast. I find that curious as I'd have guessed that pulling collective increases torque requirement and thus slowing the blades down initially before the engines respond.

Is that right or is the PID just over-responding to the demand that it thinks the engines will need to provide?

It just seems strange to me. It also feels like I pull collective gently enough, so to avoid the warning i have to be really slow on takeoff with the collective. it feels off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

When I pull more collective, especially on takeoff, I get rotor RPM high if I pull too much, too fast. I find that curious as I'd have guessed that pulling collective increases torque requirement and thus slowing the blades down initially before the engines respond.

Is that right or is the PID just over-responding to the demand that it thinks the engines will need to provide?

It just seems strange to me. It also feels like I pull collective gently enough, so to avoid the warning i have to be really slow on takeoff with the collective. it feels off.

It's not you.

Indeed you very quickly get a rotor RPM high warning when taking off now. Only when do take off really really gently, you won't get it. Also, as you said, high RPM warning at this point doesn't make sense at all. Low I understand, but high? (or please anyone, explain it to me :dontgetit:)

Definitely something changed in this regard, in either the last OB update or its hotfix, because this didn't ever happen to me before (and fwiw, I have about 80 hours in the Apache at the moment :pilotfly:)

Maybe one of the CM's or @Raptor9 can chime in on this matter? Was this changed on purpose?

(sorry for no track file, GF called me downstairs before I had the chance to make one :rolleyes:. Maye I'll manage to upload one tomorrow)

Edited by sirrah
typo
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 1/28/2023 at 4:52 PM, sirrah said:

Definitely something changed in this regard, in either the last OB update or its hotfix,

Actually, I observe this behavior since very beginning.

• Like 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

1 hour ago, Amarok_73 said:

Actually, I observe this behavior since very beginning.

Really? Getting a RPM high warning when pulling collective quickly?

I can't recall I've ever had that before. RPM low, yes, but not RPM high.

Edit:

I just recorded a track, showing the potential issue ("potential", as I'm not sure if this is intended and correct, or if it's a bug)

Note that when I do a sudden collective increase, just to the point where she gets light on the wheels, I get a "rotor rpm high" warning.

The last time, I increase collective gently, and the warning stays out.

So, the question remains; when "quickly/violently" increasing collective with weight still on wheels, is it correct that you'd get a "rotor rpm high" warning?

Rotor rpm high.trk

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

@BIGNEWY, could you please take a look at my track file in the previous post and either move this thread to the bugs section, or verify/confirm that this is intended and correct behavior.

System specs:

On 1/28/2023 at 3:57 AM, FalcoGer said:

I believe it's normal behaviour, if you pull fast on the collective, it'll increase the G-load on the rotor system, inducing a stronger cone effect (blades angling up) and creating a transient high rpm effect for a few seconds because of conservation of momentum. After a few seconds, the increased G-load, demanding more power from the engines to keep the rotor spinning, takes over and the rotor rpm will deacrease again (to the initial 101% value, or lower if you're asking too much from your engines because you carry a heavy payload)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

I believe it's normal behaviour, if you pull fast on the collective, it'll increase the G-load on the rotor system, inducing a stronger cone effect (blades angling up) and creating a transient high rpm effect for a few seconds because of conservation of momentum. After a few seconds, the increased G-load, demanding more power from the engines to keep the rotor spinning, takes over and the rotor rpm will deacrease again (to the initial 101% value, or lower if you're asking too much from your engines because you carry a heavy payload)

That makes sense!

Excellent explanation video 👍

Assuming that this is indeed what's happening for our Apache in DCS, I'm very impressed ED included this (rather small/occasional) detail 👏 

• Like 1

System specs:

I just hopped in to check it out in external view, and there is a slight coning effect of the rotor system when pulling pitch while still on the ground, but I'm still skeptical that the Coriolis effect on the rotor system exceeds the drag on the blades and causes them to over-speed. 

Maybe I am underestimating the Coriolis effect in my mental analysis of these forces in my head, but we aren't talking about a figure skater tucking their arms and legs in tight to their body, we are talking bout raising the tips of their outstretched arms by 2 inches.

How much over-speed is necessary to induce the warning?

• Like 1

• Solution

This is normal. On the collective is the collective droop potentiometer. This is tied into the Transient Droop Improvement (TDI) part of the engine control system. If you rapidly increase the collective, the speed of light signal to the DECU leads the power demand by dumping more fuel into the engine to prevent a droop from occurring. This was added specifically to prevent a droop from occurring during recoveries from practice autorotations. Anytime you’re below something like 15% torque, this is automatically there. It doesn’t have anything to do with coning or other aerodynamic phenomenon, well, except for maybe drag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

30 minutes ago, bradmick said:

This is normal. On the collective is the collective droop potentiometer. This is tied into the Transient Droop Improvement (TDI) part of the engine control system. If you rapidly increase the collective, the speed of light signal to the DECU leads the power demand by dumping more fuel into the engine to prevent a droop from occurring. This was added specifically to prevent a droop from occurring during recoveries from practice autorotations. Anytime you’re below something like 15% torque, this is automatically there. It doesn’t have anything to do with coning or other aerodynamic phenomenon, well, except for maybe drag. 

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure if I understood that completely 😅

Did I understand correctly; that a sudden increase in collective, initiates a (short) "fuel boost" to the engine to compensate for the expected higher rotor drag? 

And when there is no rotor drag increase (weight on wheels), that extra fuel to the engine results in a temporary high rpm. 

Did I get that right?

System specs:

3 hours ago, sirrah said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure if I understood that completely 😅

Did I understand correctly; that a sudden increase in collective, initiates a (short) "fuel boost" to the engine to compensate for the expected higher rotor drag? 

And when there is no rotor drag increase (weight on wheels), that extra fuel to the engine results in a temporary high rpm. 

Did I get that right?

Yes

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 4:52 PM, sirrah said:

It's not you.

Indeed you very quickly get a rotor RPM high warning when taking off now. Only when do take off really really gently, you won't get it. Also, as you said, high RPM warning at this point doesn't make sense at all. Low I understand, but high? (or please anyone, explain it to me :dontgetit:)

Definitely something changed in this regard, in either the last OB update or its hotfix, because this didn't ever happen to me before (and fwiw, I have about 80 hours in the Apache at the moment :pilotfly:)

Maybe one of the CM's or @Raptor9 can chime in on this matter? Was this changed on purpose?

(sorry for no track file, GF called me downstairs before I had the chance to make one :rolleyes:. Maye I'll manage to upload one tomorrow)

Can confirm, I get that to.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

2 hours ago, Moxica said:

Can confirm, I get that to.

Of course you do, we all do 😋

It's correct/intended behavior, as can be read a few posts up, by @bradmick

• Like 1

System specs:

• 7 months later...

Hey all,

Just about every time I lift off I get this warning?  Is this something that I am doing wrong, real to life or a glitch?

I also notice that if I set the throttles to 100%, vice all the way forward, the dang will not lift off (ex: 50% fuel and 16 Hellfires).  But if I shove the throttles all the way forward to 103% it has no issues.  Normal?

Thanks in advance,

Caldera

Throttle levers should be set to FLY and left there.  Verify in the cockpit with your mouse if they are all the way to 100% when your HOTAS is pushed all the way to your FLY setting.

I couldn't find the exact thread where this was discussed, but if memory serves, there is some anticipation logic in the onboard computers that bumps the RPM when it expects a lot of drag on the rotor system.  Bring the collective up more slowly and smoothly to avoid this when lifting off.

23 minutes ago, Floyd1212 said:

Throttle levers should be set to FLY and left there.  Verify in the cockpit with your mouse if they are all the way to 100% when your HOTAS is pushed all the way to your FLY setting.

Sure, but how can you verify that they are exactly at the fly position? With the mouse you say? How?

I try to watch the controls indicator, but I'm not sure if you're supposed to be right before or on the bar/stop. Looking at the label on the cockpit doesn't really help. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I really wish ED would implement custom detent settings for relevant modules like Razbam and Aerges. 

Cheers! 

You should set the throttles to fly and leave them like that. You are getting the RPM high warning likely because you are rapidly increasing the collective. When you do it, engine will run at higher RPM to compensate the higher drag coming from rotor. So you basically get a temporary high RPM. 

Thanks All,

I don't really pull the collective all that fast, but I will try slower. 

To me it still makes no sense that the "High RPM" warning should sound at all.  If any, it would seem more logical that the "Low RPM" should sound if I raise the collective to fast.

I get this warning just once as I lift off.  I am assuming that no else gets this warning on lift off?

The only other time the "High RPM" warning comes in as I have lost parts of the rotor blades (oops!).

Caldera

• Like 1