Any Good Documentaries/Videos/Movies?

Czechnology

Exactly as the title says. Anyone know any good documentaries, youtube videos, etc? 
NOT looking for training style videos, think we already have a thread dedicated to that, and I'd bet the same 5ish Periscope Films videos will get bounced around if I did ask.

Pretty much looking for anything. Just craving some Phantom related content and don't want to read anymore damned technical orders. My poor eyes.

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

This is an embarrassing admission coming from an American , but the best feature length film showcasing F-4E content comes from the repressive Islamic Iranian government. 

It’s a film titled “Attack on H3”, presenting a dramatized version of a real attack the IRIAF made against Saddam’s farthest air base. Fortunately much like the latest Top Gun movie they don’t focus on politics. Just the aircraft and mission details. If nothing else, whoever filmed and edited this was a true Persian Phantom Phanatic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I haven’t seen it in close to 20 years, but the Great Santini has some great F-4 phootage. 

Sully has some F-4E scenes in it. 

Hamburger Hill featured some F-4Es from what I like to believe, Clark AB dropping Hollywood “Napalm” in a few scenes. 

Then there’s this classic. I remember seeing it as a school kid on one of my dads VHS mixtapes from his time in the AF. 

Edit - 

Oh! I forgot the ultimate cheese. Iron Eagle II has F-4Es featured as MiGs hahaha

Edited by bucklehead

Specs: i9 9900k, GTX 1080ti, 32gb ram, Oculus Rift S

Modules Owned: A-10A, A-10C, F-5E, F-14B, F-15C, F-16C, F-86F, M2000, MiG-29, MiG-21

Modules Most Wanted: F-4B, F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-4J, F-4N, F-4S

18 часов назад, Kalasnkova74 сказал:

This is an embarrassing admission coming from an American , but the best feature length film showcasing F-4E content comes from the repressive Islamic Iranian government. 

It’s a film titled “Attack on H3”, presenting a dramatized version of a real attack the IRIAF made against Saddam’s farthest air base. Fortunately much like the latest Top Gun movie they don’t focus on politics. Just the aircraft and mission details. If nothing else, whoever filmed and edited this was a true Persian Phantom Phanatic.

It gets better, there's an entire documentary series about the Phantom. The only problem with it is the lack of subtitles, even auto-generated ones.

Спойлер

There are some more Iranian documentaries around, but sadly, still no subtitles. So until the thing comes out I guess at least we can eject on the visuals.

1 hour ago, NotBonk said:

https://youtube.com/@DieselThunderAviation
This guy does videos on an actual F-4, and has some DCS content too.

For those not in the know, it’s the F-4D gifted to the Collings Foundation. Currently the only airworthy F-4D in the country, and thanks to the F-4s prohibitively expensive operating costs ($17,000 per hour in fuel at mil power!) it’s likely going to stay the only airworthy F-4D in civilian hands. 

On 1/31/2023 at 2:04 AM, DSplayer said:

The only acceptable response. I need to build up a financial warchest to hire someone like Meteor to remaster/re-record the cheesy music from those old Great Planes tapes.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

2 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

For those not in the know, it’s the F-4D gifted to the Collings Foundation. Currently the only airworthy F-4D in the country, and thanks to the F-4s prohibitively expensive operating costs ($17,000 per hour in fuel at mil power!) it’s likely going to stay the only airworthy F-4D in civilian hands. 

It also required an act of congres to be donated/acquired 

2 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

The Collings foundation website quotes $15000 for one hour of flight, $10000 for fuel, and $5000 for maintenance/manpower. Currently the only flightworthy one in the western hemisphere.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:25 PM, Kalasnkova74 said:

Probably gonna end up om some sort of no fly zone buy watching that. To bad it doesn't have subtitles. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Attack on H3 is a great film. And I also notice that they used a lot of technics that were used in the original top gun movie so the makers of that film were definitely fans. And I am also very impressed on how well the Iranians managed to utilized their phantoms and tomcats during that war 

First of all: great thread, thanks for starting it, @Czechnology!

Secondly, a quick (I hope) off topic.

17 hours ago, NotBonk said:

The Collings foundation website quotes $15000 for one hour of flight, $10000 for fuel, and $5000 for maintenance/manpower. Currently the only flightworthy one in the western hemisphere.

How about this one?

https://www.platinumfighters.com/inventory/1959-mcdonnell-f4h-1f-phantom-ii/

It's dubbed "World's Only Privately Owned F-4 Phantom Capable of Flight"... is it just advertising?

1 hour ago, Gianky said:

First of all: great thread, thanks for starting it, @Czechnology!

Secondly, a quick (I hope) off topic.

How about this one?

https://www.platinumfighters.com/inventory/1959-mcdonnell-f4h-1f-phantom-ii/

It's dubbed "World's Only Privately Owned F-4 Phantom Capable of Flight"... is it just advertising?

That’s a non-airworthy one that a rich guy started getting operational. He got about 75% complete. So it’s actually not airworthy. Capable but not currently airworthy. Collings foundation owns the only airworthy one at this time (although according to @Diesel_Thunder it’s currently undergoing maintenance)

2 hours ago, NotBonk said:

That’s a non-airworthy one that a rich guy started getting operational. He got about 75% complete. So it’s actually not airworthy. Capable but not currently airworthy. Collings foundation owns the only airworthy one at this time (although according to @Diesel_Thunder it’s currently undergoing maintenance)

Thank you, NotBonk! 👍

On 1/31/2023 at 11:25 AM, Kalasnkova74 said:

Watched it. Was alright, and if this really the best we've got I cry. Don't think they gave a single shot of the back seaters station, I cry.

Edited by ThorBrasil
  • Like 3

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 7:20 PM, ThorBrasil said:

Wow these videos are great.. I'd often set these to loop while I fell asleep.

Another great video that came out today from the Operations Room channel on youtube about Israeli F-4 action during the Yom Kippur War:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SgtPappy said:

Wow these videos are great.. I'd often set these to loop while I fell asleep.

Another great video that came out today from the Operations Room channel on youtube about Israeli F-4 action during the Yom Kippur War:

Don't forget the Intel Report half of it.