Open XR and HP G2

C3PO

Hi - I use SteamVR with the HP G2 but I guess Open XR is better in terms of FPS/frame time?

If so, how do I use Open XR, or is it built in to my system? Do I need to download anything?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

YMMV but for me (running a 4090), the only noticeable improvement I saw was that annoying loading flickering you get with SteamVR was gone. I saw next to no FPS increase at all. Using OXR with med-to-low tier hardware may work wonders but on high end gear, I think it does very little if anything. I also find the lack of ‘fpsVR’ equivalent app a bit frustrating when trying to fine-tune settings in OXR

Edited by obious
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

OpenXR comes with Windows.  The default OpenBeta icon loads SteamVR.  To load OpenXR, create the custom icon below.  Nice thing about this, you can leave VR disabled in settings and use the default icon for mission editing, etc, and just launch the custom icon to play.

You should get OpenXR Tools from the MS Store, and OpenXR Toolkit from github.  Tools will allow you to run the latest beta and control your headset resolution.  I have mine at 75% which is like running at 4k monitor at 3k. 

OpenXR Toolkit has tons of goodies, but for me, I adjust the World Scale to match my IPD, and shrink the Field of View to 90.  Perfection follows.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 092905.png

Screenshot 2023-02-13 092947.png

Screenshot 2023-02-09 201102.png

Screenshot 2023-02-13 093348.png

Edited by Glide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you!

• Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

On 2/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, Glide said:

OpenXR comes with Windows.  The default OpenBeta icon loads SteamVR.  To load OpenXR, create the custom icon below.  Nice thing about this, you can leave VR disabled in settings and use the default icon for mission editing, etc, and just launch the custom icon to play.

You should get OpenXR Tools from the MS Store, and OpenXR Toolkit from github.  Tools will allow you to run the latest beta and control your headset resolution.  I have mine at 75% which is like running at 4k monitor at 3k. 

OpenXR Toolkit has tons of goodies, but for me, I adjust the World Scale to match my IPD, and shrink the Field of View to 90.  Perfection follows.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 092905.png

Screenshot 2023-02-13 092947.png

Screenshot 2023-02-09 201102.png

Screenshot 2023-02-13 093348.png

Hey Glide, I am interested in this and trying it out....please could you explain the reasoning behind it and what its doing and why? many thanks! 

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

OK......well there are 3500 replies with an estimated read time of 500 minutes........which I just dont have! Any chance you or someone can help a brother out and give me a quick summary / answer? 

My physical IPD is 61mm, do you suggest I set this in DCS VR options and also in the performance tools GUI options?

Cheers! 

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I've heard to keep the OXRDT Custom Render Scale at 100%  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try scaling it down. I'm running it at 100% -MR disabled - CAS and Frame locked @ 55fps in most cases. Runs and looks great but I would like to get just alittle more jimmering out. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

well there are 3500 replies with an estimated read time of 500 minutes

That's the motherlode.  I set my IPD in OXRTK, but you can set in the DCS game settings as well.  I have not tried this.

You can also set your Custom Render Scale in OXRTK, your choice. 

My thinking is the G2 was pushed out of the factory over spec'd and perhaps unfinished (now abandoned with HP leaving the headset market).  I started thinking, what if the FOV is too high, what if the resolution is too high, what if that IPD slider doesn't work very well?  I just decided to take the 'heat' off the headset by lowering the resolution, and fine tune the view by shrinking the FOV and world scale.  Seems to work.

I have a question for @mbucchia: if I set my OXR Custom Resolution to 75% and I set OXRTK NIS scaling to 66%, will it render at 66% of 75% and scale back up to 75% (OXR setting), or will it scale up to 100% (native resolution)?  My understanding is that OXR 75% is like running a 4k monitor at 3k, and adding NIS 66% would be like telling it to render at 2k and scale up to 3k. 

Edited by Glide

Thanks - I started reading, but most of seemed to be about MSFS 2020.....I have measured my IPD, (61mm) and set this in DCS in the VR options, also in OXRTK (which was a world scale of approx 104% I think) I tried your FOV at 90 as well.

It definitely seems a big improvement, everything seems larger, and clearer....... So thanks ! It seems counter intuitive reducing the FOV, but I dont really notice...I might experiment with it back at 100, how does this relate to the IPD setting? (if at all?) 

My resolution in OXRTK is at 100%, also in OXR for WMR. 

Have to say, VR in DCS is now pretty amazing, cant wait until the next OB update when I think even better things will be revealed....

• Like 1

I too changed my IPD in both DCS and OXRTK and it made a nice difference.  I measured my IPD using an android app on my phone (GlassesOn is what I used), measured like 5 times and took the most common answer (was the same 3 of the 5 times) ... nice difference.

I also tried the 90 FOV, didn't like that one - seemed to make everything too small and moved the stick too far forward IMHO, but the IPD is a keeper.

• Like 1

If you look at the specs, the Horizontal is 98 degrees, but the vertical is 90 degrees.  The lenses are square, so I thought, why is that stretched out to 98? 

I'm happy with the G2 now.  I am loving DCS in VR! 

43 minutes ago, j9murphy said:

seemed to make everything too small and moved the stick too far forward IMHO

I think you might get used to that after awhile.  It's all relative after all.  I manage my point of view by leaning forward to reset my VR view, then after I've got my switches done, reset the VR view once again in the "fighting spot".

4 minutes ago, Glide said:

I'm happy with the G2 now.  I am loving DCS in VR! 

So do I! But it was a struggle. I still get best results with Opencomposite ans OpenXR (default updater icon, runtime set to OpenXR), followed by Steam VR. For some reason the native OpenXR (edited shortcut with --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR options) never gives me more than 30 fps. With default shortcut I still have the OpenXR Toolkit and framerates betsween 60 and 30 (without Motion reprojection).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Delta-canard said:

never gives me more than 30 fps

That's an odd problem.  OpenXR Toolkit has settings where you can override the motion reprojection settings in OpenXR.  Turbo Mode in the OpenXR Toolkit will prevent motion reprojection, and go as fast as it can.  I'd give that a try.

• Like 1

Sad to hear HP is leaving the headset market. What to go for next?

21 hours ago, j9murphy said:

I too changed my IPD in both DCS and OXRTK and it made a nice difference.  I measured my IPD using an android app on my phone (GlassesOn is what I used), measured like 5 times and took the most common answer (was the same 3 of the 5 times) ... nice difference.

I also tried the 90 FOV, didn't like that one - seemed to make everything too small and moved the stick too far forward IMHO, but the IPD is a keeper.

"IPD" in the DCS settings VR tab should not be confused with actual IPD Interpupillary Distance. DCS "IPD" controls basically the world scale, cockpit size in particular.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

"IPD" in the DCS settings VR tab should not be confused with actual IPD Interpupillary Distance. DCS "IPD" controls basically the world scale, cockpit size in particular.

I've seen this before.  So the question I pose is why does ED call it IPD.  It's confusing to say the least.

• Like 2

Gear: Asus 690Z, i5 12600K / 64GB DDR5 / Samsung 2TB nVME / RTX 4090 24gb / TM-Warthog / x56 Throttle w/pedals / HP Reverb G2 v2, Tracker IR

Irish 1-1 | Maleioch

dcs sign.png

1 hour ago, Indyplumber said:

I've seen this before.  So the question I pose is why does ED call it IPD.  It's confusing to say the least.

Many have wondered... few have answered 🤣

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Indyplumber said:

To confuse us lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

10 hours ago, j9murphy said:

Whatever you want to call it, setting it to the ipd I measured with my app had a positive impact on what i see through the lenses without making the cockpit too large or too small.

Same here. I would very much like to understand exactly how the setting works and what it does in relation to the other scaleable optioons discussed here

interesting discussion here... 

Real IPD in VR : virtualreality (reddit.com)

Additionally (as i understand it) , IPD in your HMD and IPD in the game serve different purposes.  The IPD in your hmd (if its mechanical like the G2) just aligns the lenses with your eyes.  IPD/World Scale in the game influences how far apart your "virtual eyes" are rendered which also influences depth perception.  Large changes make things appear bigger and smaller.  Smaller changes within in your IPD range influence 3D perception.

I'm no expert here, and what I wrote above may not be correct, it's just what I pretend to understand lol

Edited by j9murphy

2 hours ago, j9murphy said:

interesting discussion here... 

Real IPD in VR : virtualreality (reddit.com)

Additionally (as i understand it) , IPD in your HMD and IPD in the game serve different purposes.  The IPD in your hmd (if its mechanical like the G2) just aligns the lenses with your eyes.  IPD/World Scale in the game influences how far apart your "virtual eyes" are rendered which also influences depth perception.  Large changes make things appear bigger and smaller.  Smaller changes within in your IPD range influence 3D perception.

I'm no expert here, and what I wrote above may not be correct, it's just what I pretend to understand lol

I'm not real sure how the 2 work together, if at all but...

My physical IPD is 61. While in the virtual cockpit I try to envision my actual shoulder width and use the DCS "IPD" scale to make it match.

Left alone, something like the Thrustmaster Warthog stick always seemed tiny inside the A-10C for instance. 

--Arthur C Clark