Request: add queue for players when they attempt to join a full multiplayer server

Tuuvas

In light of the announcement from Enigma Cold War's Discord Server, it may be best to look into a fix/feature that addresses the issue described below:

image.png

It seems there is significant server lag caused by many users spamming the join option on a full server, effectively resulting in an unintentional DDOS attack.  Perhaps a simple queue system would help prevent this?

What are your thoughts?

• Like 38

This problem is unique to our server and is not worth the effort IMO. We are going to be giving our V1 code base publicly to help the other servers. 

It is not fair for ED to dedicate resources to fix something that is unique to one server.

edit:
Since the addition of MT there has been a ballooning multiplayer population and now other servers are getting hit so I retract my previous statement, this is probably worth the dev time as multiple servers are getting hit with this now.

Edited by Enigma89
  • Like 2

This problem is unique to our server

Maybe the DDOS component is most commonly an issue for you, but this would be a great quality of life feature for people who regularly play with friends. There's plenty of times on the weekend where servers fill up and if you're trying to fly with a few friends, a queue would be very helpful! I've definitely resorted to attempting to join every 30-60s before, rather than waiting for the god awful refresh rate of the server browser. Good to know that causes performance issues at the server end though.

• Like 11

A server queue would be an incredible quality of life improvement. While it’s only effecting one server at the moment, the player base could grow and this could keep other servers from running into the same issues.

16 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

This problem is unique to our server and is not worth the effort IMO.

There are other servers in the weekend where spamming the join button is the only way to join with your friends, especially if you're in a medium group of ~6 people. The queueing issue is definitely not an issue solely applicable to your server.

Aside from this, a queue system is anno 2023 definitely not some luxury/high-tech feature. It very much complements the MP experience of the online playerbase and could almost be seen as a standard option for the game's online component.

Edited by Zaneboy

16 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

This problem is unique to our server and is not worth the effort IMO. We are going to be giving our V1 code base publicly to help the other servers. 

It is not fair for ED to dedicate resources to fix something that is unique to one server.

This problem is absolutely not unique to your server.  It affects any server that reaches cap, and there are plenty of them.  A queue system for servers would be a great improvement to DCS. 

Edited by boomer92688

I would like to see this implemented as well! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the addition of MT there has been a ballooning multiplayer population and now other servers are getting hit so I retract my previous statement, this is probably worth the dev time as multiple servers are getting hit with this now.

There's a lot of interest right now, the top few servers are full and its not even prime time. I expect it would calm down, but a graceful way of handling this without dumping the problem on the community to fix would be appreciated. You can block slots, I know people aren't releasing anything mainstream and servers seem to compete a little for IP, but there's no reason it cannot be coded right now by allowing 70 players in, but only opening 65 slots with whatever logic you like in between to return those five queued in Spectators.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *