SteamVR causing crash on startup

On 3/11/2023 at 5:40 AM, YoYo said:

Thank You. If someone have this issue too (CTD when you want to use SteamVR only), pls attach dcs txt from  C:\Users\....\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs .

On 3/11/2023 at 5:26 AM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks we will take a look, we are collecting data over the weekend 

In my testing, I have noticed that DCS will work in MT with SteamVR only if, in the command line of the shortcut, you add only  --force_enable_VR, as in ;

"D:\JEUX WIN10\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR , game starts and works but with no significant improvements over non-MT mode.

If  ...\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_steam_VR is used, the game crashes. 

If I configure and start the game for OpenXR (using PimaxXR for the 5kSuper HMD), game starts, FPSs are higher (about 15 to 20 FPSs more), but video stutters in pre-launch GUI screens and video jitters in game. 

Apparently it is important to make sure that NVidia panel settings needs to have THREADED OPTIMIZATION set to ON. I have not yet tested this but this will surely help...

Will test with NVidia panel / THREADED OPTIMIZATION set to ON and report back to this thread...

My main hardware details RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE/24 THREADS), DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ wt XMP), EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, PIMAX-5K SUPER

Edited by everest101
  • Thanks 1

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar

On 3/18/2023 at 1:56 AM, everest101 said:

In my testing, I have noticed that DCS will work in MT with SteamVR only if, in the command line of the shortcut, you add only  --force_enable_VR, as in ;

"D:\JEUX WIN10\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR , game starts and works but with no significant improvements over non-MT mode.

If  ...\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_steam_VR is used, the game crashes. 

If I configure and start the game for OpenXR (using PimaxXR for the 5kSuper HMD), game starts, FPSs are higher (about 15 to 20 FPSs more), but video stutters in pre-launch GUI screens and video jitters in game. 

Apparently it is important to make sure that NVidia panel settings needs to have THREADED OPTIMIZATION set to ON. I have not yet tested this but this will surely help...

Will test with NVidia panel / THREADED OPTIMIZATION set to ON and report back to this thread...

My main hardware details RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE/24 THREADS), DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ wt XMP), EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, PIMAX-5K SUPER

Just a little update/feedback on more testing...

With NVidia panel THREADED OPTIMIZATION set to ON :

• Flying in VR + MT using OpenXR (PimaxXR ON, OpenXR Toolkit ON) & " --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR", the game is more stable while in aircraft cockpit (+30FPS!!!) but their is bizarre jittering in the main GUI (screen wt menu and option bar)...as if their is a VR image lag when head (HMD) moves a bit. In MP, the experience is HORRIBLE! The MP GUI is so jumpy and jittery that I can't stand it & I kill the game!!!
  • Flying in VR + MT using SteamVR but without directly calling SteamVR (ie using simple command line " --force_enable_VR" and letting the game fire up SteamVR) results in game OK. However, there does not seem to be any gain in performance (FPS) while in cockpit...as if MT does not do its work. Did not test MP behavior...isn't worth it for me. 
  • Flying in VR + MT using SteamVR and calling directly SteamVR (ie using simple command line " --force_steam_VR" and letting the game fire up SteamVR) results in game KO. The game stays stuck in the load screen (clouds image + progress bar) wt progress bar stuck at approx 15%. My patience runs out and I kill the DCS process!!!

In a nutshell, not really ready to go with MT with my rig since even using OpenXR. More stability is needed on main, MP, and ME GUIs. Reverting to ST game play mode until MT GUI bugs are fixed.

Also, NVidia panel THREADED OPTIMIZATION set to ON stabilizes the in cockpit experience...more stable and less jitter. Makes sense to put the option ON! However, other jittering bugs need to be ironed out...  

Hope this clarifies a few things for all. Stay hopeful as this is just the beginning of MT game play!

Regards,

Everest...Out!    

Edited by everest101
  • Like 1

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar

Todays patch test results with SteamVR forced. I thought it worked lol

2023-03-22 16:36:37.277 WARNING VISUALIZER (Main): VR MT preview: MT support SteamVR only through OpenXR, fallback to OpenXR

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

46 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Todays patch test results with SteamVR forced. I thought it worked lol

2023-03-22 16:36:37.277 WARNING VISUALIZER (Main): VR MT preview: MT support SteamVR only through OpenXR, fallback to OpenXR

No As I see SteamVR + OpenVR doesnt work still  😞 .

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Just now, YoYo said:

No As I see SteamVR + OpenVR doesnt work still  😞 .

At least the log is clear that MT doesn't support OpenVR as of now!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 minute ago, Baldrick33 said:

It should be in "known issues" right away, from the beginning. :smilewink:

BUT I need it!

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

15 minutes ago, YoYo said:

It should be in "known issues" right away, from the beginning. :smilewink:

I was surprised it wasn't known, OpenVR having been set as the #1 priority for VR to open with the ST version after all.

I suppose it is what Openbeta is all about, issues will be discovered by the wider group and reported for (hopefully) fixing. I found it odd that ST defaulted to OpenVR and MT to OpenXR, the cynic in me might suggest somebody knew! 😉

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I was surprised it wasn't known, OpenVR having been set as the #1 priority for VR to open with the ST version after all.

I suppose it is what Openbeta is all about, issues will be discovered by the wider group and reported for (hopefully) fixing. I found it odd that ST defaulted to OpenVR and MT to OpenXR, the cynic in me might suggest somebody knew! 😉

I think exactly the same, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the FIX 🙂 !

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GCDV31 said:

Hy @Martinbulldog could you explain how you back to openVR ?

OpenVR doesnt work for DCS MT version, OpenXR only.

He wrote about ST version (no issue here).

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

On 4/10/2023 at 12:58 PM, Martinbulldog said:

I am back to Openvr-FSR ST ,I cant stand OpenXR it looks horrible. 

True, operating DCS OB with OpenXR by itself is not that great. To make things nicer, use OpenXR Toolkit. With the toolkit, you can fiddle around with colors, fov, etc... In my case, using the toolkit is a must. If U like, I could make a image collection of the Toolkit setups that I use.

Also, with my PC, MT does work with OpenXR using my Pimax 5k Super HMD. However, it only works with ME single player (SP) missions. In multi-payer (MP), the MT experience is plain horrible! In MT, the HMD images jump around & is truly unstable and unpleasant.  

Regards, 

Edited by everest101

7 hours ago, YoYo said:

OpenVR doesnt work for DCS MT version, OpenXR only.

He wrote about ST version (no issue here).

On my PC, I can use OpenVR (via PiTools for my Pimax5k Super HMD). However, I must call SteamVR indirectly...by not specifying "--enable_SteamVR" in the shortcut command line. Instead, if I just specify "--enable_VR"t. The game handle starting SteamVR (which uses OpenVR), starts the MT game but with no benefits (no fps improvement or faster loading time) from the MT code. 

In other words, for me, MT + indirect SteamVR is just not worth it! I tested this for SP missions. Don't know the impacts with MP but also not worth testing... 

Regards,

20 minutes ago, everest101 said:

True, operating DCS OB with OpenXR by itself is not that great. To make things nicer, use OpenXR Toolkit. With the toolkit, you can fiddle around with colors, fov, etc... In my case, using the toolkit is a must. If U like, I could make a image collection of the Toolkit setups that I use.

Also, with my PC, MT does work with OpenXR using my Pimax 5k Super HMD. However, it only works with ME single player (SP) missions. In multi-payer (MP), the MT experience is plain horrible! In MT, the HMD images jump around & is truly unstable and unpleasant.  

Regards, 

Thanks for the offer 👍 but the MR in openxr which most of us need to used is by far worse then steam. Have you tried FSR ? You can adjust some settings in the config file and the MR feels much better imo.

6 minutes ago, Martinbulldog said:

Thanks for the offer 👍 but the MR in openxr which most of us need to used is by far worse then steam. Have you tried FSR ? You can adjust some settings in the config file and the MR feels much better imo.

Sorry, but I am getting an acronym blank!!!

MR?, FSR? ...what do you refer to?

On 4/11/2023 at 4:52 PM, Martinbulldog said:

Sorry

MR = Motion reprojection 

FSR = https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

Thanks for clarifying those acronyms...

But I don't use MR or FSR. As I no longer use SteamVR to run the Pimax 5k HMD and instead exploit DCS's OpenXR and also using PimaxXR + OpenXR Toolkit, the MR & FSR features are covered via the toolkit. FOV adjustments via the toolkit improves FPS. 

I realise however that not all HMD VR users can go down this roadmap of APP usage.

A new DCS upgrade just came out (DCS OB 2.8.4.38947)...lets hope it solves most of our MT problems 🤞  

Edited by everest101

On 3/22/2023 at 8:30 PM, Baldrick33 said:

Has ED made any comments if the lack of OpenVR support is a bug or is this intentional and they will only support OpenXR from now on with the MT future of DCS?

• Like 1

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Eagles787 said:

Has ED made any comments if the lack of OpenVR support is a bug or is this intentional and they will only support OpenXR from now on with the MT future of DCS?

OpenVR is not support in MT, you will need to use OpenXR. I do not think that will change at the moment but I will ask the team. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

We need OpenVR too! Pretty please 💪😜!

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

15 hours ago, YoYo said:

We need OpenVR too! Pretty please 💪😜!

I don't get it...isn't OpenVR supported via SteamVR?

What I have noticed it that, with the latest release of DCS OB v2.8.4.38947, I can now run DCS OB in MT while using SteamVR. My understanding with respect to SteamVR is that it works, internally, with OpenVR. So why are we saying that MT with OpenVR is not supported?!? 

Actually my latest test with MT, since this latest update of DCS OB, is that MT now works OK with SteamVR for my Pimax5k HMD. For me, it is actually the ONLY way to use MT smoothly...although I notice no big gain in FPS in MT with SteamVR. While not being a problem, for me, this is still good news. Will ED work on making the SteamVR MT run method better from a performance perspective? Hopefully yes, but this is not my preference...instead,

What I would like to see is DCS OB to work better in MT with the OpenXR run method. I get 30 FPS improvements in MT with OpenXR on the Pimax5k HMD. But graphics stability in the HMD is KO & unplayable in multi-player!!! Severe jitter that settles in MP makes MP game unusable.

I would much prefer using MT with OpenXR to bypass using SteamVR and it's processing overhead. But until OpenXR + MT method is fixed, I cannot use it with my gear. Hopefully, ED will fixe the OpenXR problems & in the mean time forcing SteamVR will be the way to go. 

This thread is named "SteamVR causing crash on startup"

Seems to me that this has been solved with the latest DCS OB patch v2.8.4.38947. Problem solved?

Well in some ways it is solved for me. 

Edited by everest101
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

OpenVR is not support in MT, you will need to use OpenXR. I do not think that will change at the moment but I will ask the team. 

Isn't OpenVR supported via using SteamVR (which is using OpenVR internally)? 

You say that OpenXR will need to be used instead. OK but for me, with the Pimax 5k HMD, OpenXR + MT is barely usefull in single mission playing...even though some jitter settles into some of the GUI screens. However in MP, the game is unusable...too much jitter in the images projected into the HMD in VR.

OpenXR seems to be a implementation direction for ED.

There is, for sure, a plan to fix the jittering in VR with the OpenXR run method on Pimax HMDs but I don't need to know about the plan and I am sure that ED is working on it 🙄.

Edited by everest101
clarification of reply...

11 hours ago, everest101 said:

What I have noticed it that, with the latest release of DCS OB v2.8.4.38947, I can now run DCS OB in MT while using SteamVR. My understanding with respect to SteamVR is that it works, internally, with OpenVR. So why are we saying that MT with OpenVR is not supported?!? 

MT doesn't work with OpenVR right now, if you see that it works just because it works with SteamVR means it only works with OpenXR that you play through SteamVR. SteamVR natively works with OpenVR which doesn't work with the MT version.

I hope they fix it and it's not a downgrade for VR users.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Hello, MT use only OpenXR and Steamvr woks with MT since the first version of MT because Steamvr could use the OpenXR runtine (see setting below). But I agree with you graphic is better with ST/STeamVR/OpenVR. null

image.png