Can't get NCTR to work until within about 5nm

imacken
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

I just can't seem to get any response from NCTR long TMS hold until the plane is around 5 miles away. I don't even get the INVL symbol.

This is easily demonstrated for me in the NTTR 120 IA mission, or even the NCTR Training mission on it.

I have STT on the target within 30 degrees azimuth and elevation. I get the LOS message in bottom left of FCR, but nothing under NORM until within about 5 miles.

Something I'm missing?

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks guys, but I'm afraid it's just not working for me. Here's a track of the TM.  You can see me doing regular long TMS presses on the target and getting nothing.

NCTR.trk

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thank you so much! I've been away form the Viper for a long time. forgot it was 2 up presses of TMS to get STT.

All good now!

• Like 2

However, I will say that the unknown IFF square does not appear ever as mentioned by @Chain_1 above.

Has this bug been reported?

2 hours ago, imacken said:

However, I will say that the unknown IFF square does not appear ever as mentioned by @Chain_1 above.

Has this bug been reported?

The unknown square only shows up if you get a IFF response that doesn't match the interrogation transponder code you've set for that particular mode on the IFF Interrogate DED page. However, due to DCS having an extremely simplified IFF model consisting only of Mode 4, all aircraft on one coalition will have the exact same Mode 4 transponder code set automatically and it is impossible to change it. Mode 4 IFF pulses are encrypted using a certain encryption key and an aircraft equipped with Mode 4 will only respond to an Mode 4 interrogation if its key matches the interrogation pulses it receives. If the key doesn't match, it doesn't respond. Therefore you will never see a unknown IFF response in DCS.

However, in real life the F-16C also has Mode 1, 2 and 3. The interrogation pulses for these modes are not encrypted and therefore an interrogated aircraft will always respond if its transponder is turned on. On the IFF Interrogate DED page you can choose which transponder codes to interrogate for in each IFF mode, and anything that matches the chosen code will show up as a green circle and anything that doesn't match will show up as a yellow square.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

3 hours ago, Arctic Fox said:

The unknown IFF square should not really show up at all in DCS, that seems to be correct right now.

Thanks guys. The only thing is, that the instructor in the TM for this topic specifically says that the unknowns will show a square around them. 

So, as the TM says there should be a square for negative IFF response, and Wags's video from a few months ago shows a yellow square for a negative IFF, has the behaviour changed recently?  Just curious.

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2023 at 1:44 PM, imacken said:

Thank you so much! I've been away form the Viper for a long time. forgot it was 2 up presses of TMS to get STT.

All good now!

Really had to look for this detail to find out what I was doing wrong... the Viper just can't be as user friendly as the Hornet, can it

On 3/19/2023 at 8:13 PM, imacken said:

So, as the TM says there should be a square for negative IFF response, and Wags's video from a few months ago shows a yellow square for a negative IFF, has the behaviour changed recently?  Just curious.

It's true that you get a yellow square for negative IFF responses. However, in DCS we currently only have Mode 4 which doesn't respond unless the interrogation pulse matches a certain key, meaning you'll never see a negative response. Once we get Mode 1, 2 and 3 transponders however, you will start seeing negative IFF responses as they always respond to an interrogation pulse.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante