Quest Pro vs G2 Impressions - 4090/7950x3D

DirtyMike0330

How is the performance with the Quest Pro with AMD cards in the 6000 series and 7000 series? I have a RX 6900XT running with a G2 right now.

But before that I had a RTX 2080 together with  Quest 2, wich worked pretty good. I then upgraded to the RX 6900XT, and the performance together with thew AMD card was <profanity>. Pure frames it was okish, but it was artifacts, stuttering and overall less "smoothness" with the AMD+Quest 2 combo. ASW was noticably worse with the AMD card compared to the Nvidia.

Has this been improved?

I saw you @nikoel are running the combo. Have you experienced any problems?

There is a used Quest pro for sale nearby me for less then 1000$. And I'm very interested in picking it up if AMD work better with the Quest Pro then it did with the Quest 2.

Is air link considered a no go? I recently hooked up my Quest 2 to an access point in close proximity with nothing else connected to it and was surprised how well air link worked. I still preferred my G1 visually but wonder how a Quest Pro would compare. Will a cable give better visuals?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

19 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Is air link considered a no go? I recently hooked up my Quest 2 to an access point in close proximity with nothing else connected to it and was surprised how well air link worked. I still preferred my G1 visually but wonder how a Quest Pro would compare. Will a cable give better visuals?

This is good timing. Meta is just about to release v54 of the Quest software and firmware. It was announced yesterday and is to be rolled out over the next few weeks. The PTC of v54 is said to have improved support for Wifi6e which has the bandwidth and speed to support AirLink properly. Currently, I believe AirLink is limited to under 200Mbs which whilst you could play DCS with it, the compression is going to be meh. Having said that, there have been a lot of complaints about issues with the PTC v54 and wifi6e but I think some have solved their problems in the last couple of days. Oddly though there is no mention of WiFi6e in the release notes for v54. Perhaps they are still working on some issues related to it.

On the other hand, battery life will be limited with AirLink. With a direct cable link, you can extend the battery life much longer.

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

Right, I know it, however Im lazy VR Pilot ;).

"My money, my choice." -- Rebecca Tad Lesso

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, Sile said:

No DFR for Quest Pro in DCS.

I’d beg to differ, DFR is supported for the Quest Pro using OpenXR Toolkit, including in DCS :

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/#eye-tracking-feature

You quoted a post from mbucchia that answered a question regarding the quad view DFR, and that is specific to the Aero. Please mind the context, DFR IS supported on the Quest Pro. 

An helpful answer would have been to quote mbucchia and remind this fact :

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/fr.html

FR is only effective at improving performance when you are being limited by your GPU. FFR will not help if you are limited by your CPU.

Edited by Shug Ninx

You are right. After reading again, i see he answered specific to the Aero Quad View DFR.

But the core statement isn't completely wrong if i add "quad view" and even without it i think it was still "helpful":
"That's not a problem. quad view DFR  plays it strength on high res headsets. Think it's not needed for the relatively low res QPro

So now i have to find out, why i don't see DFR option in OpenXR Toolkit in DCS. Dev mode is on.

I guess it works for you all like @Shug Ninx states?
Does it work for you @Shug Ninx?

Edited by Sile

I’d love some clarification over that too. I see DFR option in MSFS but not in DCS

in addition, is anyone else having issue with DCS not recognizing left hand controller? This is happening since I switched to Oculus runtime from SteamVR

Edited by Dentedend10

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

from the openXR toolkit's own notes on Oculus DFR:

"[3] A bug in the Meta OpenXR support prevents certain applications from using eye tracking (due to the Meta Developer mode not being recognized). This is not an issue of OpenXR Toolkit. Please redirect your complaints to Meta!"

Unfortumately Oculus DFR not working in DCS

• Thanks 2

Confirm. Shame.

• Thanks 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Werewolf_fs:

from the openXR toolkit's own notes on Oculus DFR:

"[3] A bug in the Meta OpenXR support prevents certain applications from using eye tracking (due to the Meta Developer mode not being recognized). This is not an issue of OpenXR Toolkit. Please redirect your complaints to Meta!"

Unfortumately Oculus DFR not working in DCS

@Shug Ninx

3 hours ago, TenienteDan said:

At this point I would wait to see what the Quest 3 offers. The annoucement must be right around the corner.

In any case, thank you so much for this deep analysis of the QP, seems like it's a vey decent headset.

It will be interesting to see what Oculus does going forward. Scuttlebutt seems to suggest a bigger focus on mobile rather than PC-VR. They just took away the custom Oculus Home capability from the PC-VR crowd. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

It will be interesting to see what Oculus does going forward. Scuttlebutt seems to suggest a bigger focus on mobile rather than PC-VR. They just took away the custom Oculus Home capability from the PC-VR crowd. 

This is nothing but conjecture. Why would they bother to continue working on AirLInk if they are not going to continue with PC-VR?

Edited by slughead

4 hours ago, dburne said:

They just took away the custom Oculus Home capability from the PC-VR crowd. 

They didn't take it away. It was an experimental feature that they have now moved out of experimental. It's still there, in a different section and properly released. People were annoyed that they had to recreate their home setup. It seems Meta is very committed to this feature. The screenshot below is from a Meta representative on the Meta forums.

image.png

Edited by slughead

For people who went from G2 to Quest Pro. Aren’t you missing that sweet spot high res? I’m honestly debating sending it back and rather waiting it out for an Aero. 
I agree that colours are better, edge to edge clarity, much better performance, etc. but I really notice the lower res when looking at my gauges in the F14.

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Just now, Dentedend10 said:

For people who went from G2 to Quest Pro. Aren’t you missing that sweet spot high res? I’m honestly debating sending it back and rather waiting it out for an Aero. 
I agree that colours are better, edge to edge clarity, much better performance, etc. but I really notice the lower res when looking at my gauges in the F14.

No. What is your render resolution set to?

1 minute ago, slughead said:

No. What is your render resolution set to?

I left PD at 1.0 in DCS. Other than that I’m only running OpenXR Toolkit with FSR supersampling set at 100 (just found it is crisper with FSR on than without). Am I missing something?

18 minutes ago, Dentedend10 said:

I left PD at 1.0 in DCS. Other than that I’m only running OpenXR Toolkit with FSR supersampling set at 100 (just found it is crisper with FSR on than without). Am I missing something?

Yes, what is your render resolution set to in the Oculus app under Devices > Meta Quest Pro and Meta Quest Touch Pro > Graphics Preferences?

20 minutes ago, slughead said:

Yes, what is your render resolution set to in the Oculus app under Devices > Meta Quest Pro and Meta Quest Touch Pro > Graphics Preferences?

I see. It’s also at 1.0 (4128*2096) at 72 Hz

33 minutes ago, Dentedend10 said:

I see. It’s also at 1.0 (4128*2096) at 72 Hz

There is your problem. Bump it up to 4704. That’s the minimum I need to get a good sharp font on the F-16 DED. Any higher won’t probably make any perceivable difference and will just eat CPU frame time trying to render at higher resolutions. You can probably turn off FSR then - I don’t run with FSR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dentedend10 said:

mm very interesting still on the fence but you are the first I have read about returning the headset. 

Edited by freehand

9 minutes ago, slughead said:

There is your problem. Bump it up to 4704. That’s the minimum I need to get a good sharp font on the F-16 DED. Any higher won’t probably make any perceivable difference and will just eat CPU frame time trying to render at higher resolutions. You can probably turn off FSR then - I don’t run with FSR.

Thanks a lot! I’ve given it a try, and it does make a difference. Now I’ll try to maximize it with still acceptable performance and I’ll try without FSR later. 

10 minutes ago, freehand said:

mm very interesting still on the fence but you are the first I have read about returning the headset. 

well for me what breaks immersion most is when I look at another plane next to me and the wings are all shimmering - now with the Quest Pro I was able to turn up MSAA to 4x so that almost solves it. 
the other thing is the gauges - initially I wasn’t happy how they looked compared to G2 but now with increased resolution they are starting to look better, still with good performance. I’ll report back once it’s fully tuned. 
The aero does seem to have all what I’m looking for with the high res and DFR. But it is hard to justify $3000CAD (with base stations and controllers). And the performance might still be questionable

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 4:11 AM, TZeer said:

How is the performance with the Quest Pro with AMD cards in the 6000 series and 7000 series? I have a RX 6900XT running with a G2 right now.

But before that I had a RTX 2080 together with  Quest 2, wich worked pretty good. I then upgraded to the RX 6900XT, and the performance together with thew AMD card was <profanity>. Pure frames it was okish, but it was artifacts, stuttering and overall less "smoothness" with the AMD+Quest 2 combo. ASW was noticably worse with the AMD card compared to the Nvidia.

Has this been improved?

I saw you @nikoel are running the combo. Have you experienced any problems?

There is a used Quest pro for sale nearby me for less then 1000$. And I'm very interested in picking it up if AMD work better with the Quest Pro then it did with the Quest 2.

I don't use ASW and I am not sensitive to a little ghosting. The artefacts of ASW when I accidentally had it on were there but at far lesser extents than WMR

Reading between the lines you may have been outside of the early frame window and were inside the dropped frame territory. If you just let the frame rate go brrrrt then you will likely see the same outcomes. A friend of mine has a 3090 and I tried Quest Pro on his setup. There is no darn difference in smoothness, picture quality or anything else if ASW is disabled and locked at 45 via the ODT. ASW Nvidia will always win. It's still crap, and I'll take the much better image without it 

Quest Pro is easier to run on our cards. I still have a 40% overhead with higher settings in simple dogfight missions

My only issues have been needing to restart the computer every now and then when I have been doing other things on it. Basically I get random screen tears that go away as soon as I restart my computer and launch oculus and DCS straight away. Annoying, but I haven'y bothered trying to figure out what is going on. I believe this may be more of a USB issue than a graphics card issue

I have never had a Quest 2, and doubt the software stack is working that much different on the Pro, but don't know

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

I’m sorely tempted by the QP, may I ask a question or two?

Im happy with how the G2 looks in the cockpit, it’s the view out the window that seems to lack clarity. Does the QP look better in this regard?

From what I’ve read here it seems performance is better than the G2 (MSAA x4 with my G2 is a no no) is this the case even if you bump up the PD to match the clarity of the G2?

Has anyone gone from G2 to QP and not been happy (After maximum tinkering)? It all sounds like an upgrade to me though I’m a little concerned I’ll be disappointed if it’s a noticeable drop in clarity.

I was going to get a new HOTAS as my next DCS cash dump, but this thread makes me think I’ll hang onto my Warthog for a bit longer and get a QP instead.

Edited by Digitalvole