Quest Pro vs G2 Impressions - 4090/7950x3D

DirtyMike0330

2 hours ago, Sile said:

I suspect MT is running OpenXR regardless of command line argument. And the chain is different for MT and ST.

@BIGNEWYcan you confirm please? Is MT only using openXR or should it be the same as ST and work as per the thread below?

This is the latest from ED

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

5 hours ago, diamond26 said:

Unfortunately as I am using MT, OpenVR ( or native Oculus API) is not compatible with MT. With or without command line, MT runs OpenXR, which of course is fine for Meta Quest headset but is limiting the options.

MT doesnt support officialy OpenVR, I hope … yet and they are working on this issue.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

8 hours ago, sea2sky said:

Where do you guys order a meta link cable from? I found one here , but it says Quest and Quest 2: https://www.amazon.ca/Oculus-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Cable/dp/B081SHD773

That's the correct cable.

I am using this:

https://eu.vrcover.com/products/premium-usb-c-cable-for-oculus™-quest-2-5m

I also has the shorter one before.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

So, I put my G2 up for sale for fun last night. Within an hour it was sold 😀

Heading out tomorrow to grab a lightly used Quest Pro.

So, anything I should be aware of? People using OpenXR with the Quest Pro as well?

How should I go about to get myself a hasslefree setup as possible?

Regards

Yeah after getting my Aero I had my Reverb G2 sold in minutes at a decent price. Amazing how popular that headset is still to this day.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 minutes ago, TZeer said:

So, I put my G2 up for sale for fun last night. Within an hour it was sold 😀

Heading out tomorrow to grab a lightly used Quest Pro.

So, anything I should be aware of? People using OpenXR with the Quest Pro as well?

How should I go about to get myself a hasslefree setup as possible?

Regards

You put your G2 up for sale for fun ?

Yeah, I was testing to see if there was any interest in it. Apparently it was and I got a decent price for it. So sold it when I got the chance. Heard so much positive feedback on the Quest Pro, and it's a used one for sale less then an hour away from me. So picking it up tomorrow. Was not my plan when I woke up yesterday 😂

46 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah after getting my Aero I had my Reverb G2 sold in minutes at a decent price. Amazing how popular that headset is still to this day.

I had better experience. I haven't posted anywhere yet, and I already have entry for my G2 (when I will receive QP) 😅.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 minute ago, Digitalvole said:

Brilliant, thank you @slughead

If you dip below that does the asw do a decent job (ie as good as at 90/45hz) or is it a horrible mess?

I’d not be using it if it was a horrible mess.

So.... just got my Quest Pro and had a quick test in DCS....

And it's definitly an upgrade from my G2. Have not done much tuning except from setting it to 1,5x resolution in the app. Can probably push it further, but will test with msaa as well.

Reprojection is much better then I had on my G2. No wobbly text/artifacts on the Apache MPD's. Have not tested just running 45 FPS without ASW yet.

Colours are nicer, and I actually noticed the bright reflections from the CPG's radioscreen when the sun hit it. Never had that with my G2.

Comfort is better, feel more relaxed using it. No need to stare down in the mpd's just to get the sweetspot right so you can actually read stuff there, now I can just have a quick glance with my eyes 👍.

Will test more later today with some  nightflying, to test how the blacklevels are in this headset. 

Overall happy with the upgrade.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TZeer said:

And it's definitly an upgrade from my G2. Have not done much tuning except from setting it to 1,5x resolution in the app. Can probably push it further, but will test with msaa as well.

Reprojection is much better then I had on my G2. No wobbly text/artifacts on the Apache MPD's. Have not tested just running 45 FPS without ASW yet.

Colours are nicer, and I actually noticed the bright reflections from the CPG's radioscreen when the sun hit it. Never had that with my G2.

Comfort is better, feel more relaxed using it. No need to stare down in the mpd's just to get the sweetspot right so you can actually read stuff there, now I can just have a quick glance with my eyes 👍.

Will test more later today with some  nightflying, to test how the blacklevels are in this headset. 

Do you use Link cable or Air Link? Good words btw. I cant wait for my delivery ;).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

3 hours ago, TZeer said:

Oculus has always done a better job than the others on reprojection with their ASW. Certainly can not fault them when it comes to that.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I tried to set a resolution of my G2 close to what Quest Pro has, just to get an idea on how that would look like. So, once I've put it on I immediately noticed that G2's sweet spot is actually not that small. The less resolution - the harder to see a sweet spot's border. It actually takes some effort to notice it now. Also, the low resolution its self is a meh... I'm not sure if it is a right move to get QP now, or may be wait for Q3??

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

1 hour ago, sea2sky said:

I tried to set a resolution of my G2 close to what Quest Pro has, just to get an idea on how that would look like. So, once I've put it on I immediately noticed that G2's sweet spot is actually not that small. The less resolution - the harder to see a sweet spot's border. It actually takes some effort to notice it now. Also, the low resolution its self is a meh... I'm not sure if it is a right move to get QP now, or may be wait for Q3??

I'm not sure this works like you thought it might. You are still comparing Fresnel lenses to pancakes. And the resolution setting wouldn't change the sweet spot of the G2, it sounds like you essentially just made the whole thing less clear. Not a great comparative test, to be honest. 

5 hours ago, TZeer said:

I am going to shill this product again because it is so stupidly reliable for the QP, as far as ensuring I can play as long as I want in PCVR mode:

Amazon.com: Minisopuru Powered USB C Hub, 10Gbps USB-C Hub 4 Ports Support Data & Smart Charging(Not Support Video), USB C to USB C Hub Multiport Adapter for MacBook Pro/Air, iMac, iPad, Phone, Chromebook, etc. : Electronics - https://www.amazon.com/

Some folks recommend a 3rd party Kuject cable thingie, but mine is sitting in the closet and I didn't have a good experience with it, personally. 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break)