ILS doesn't work at Akrotiri airbase - Cyprus (Syria map)

d0ppler

I haven't tested ILS approaches on every airfield, but I have no problems with other I've tested, but on Akrotiri I can't get it to work. Using frequency 109.70, which seems to be the correct one.

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

28 minutes ago, d0ppler said:

I haven't tested ILS approaches on every airfield, but I have no problems with other I've tested, but on Akrotiri I can't get it to work. Using frequency 109.70, which seems to be the correct one.

Works for me.

Make sure the runway for the ILS is the active one. If the other runway is active, the ILS will be turned off.

• Like 1

Strange. I'm positive I'm on the active runway (rwy 28). I'll make a track and post it next time I play DCS. Thanks for your reply 🙂

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

5 minutes ago, smire666 said:

Can someone confirm, that the ILS is turned off for inactive runways IRL? I Can understand approach lights, but this?? PAPI lights are turned on 24/7 normally...

I wouldn't rule out ILS gets turned off to save power, especially on airports which face hours of no arriving traffic at all.

It still depends on whether the runway is equipped with ILS for both directions. If ILS is only available for one direction and the wind demands approaches from the opposite direction, they would likely still leave the ILS active because you could still make use of it for backcourse localizer approaches. Even if this type of approach isn't published for that airfield, it still can help in emergencies.

ILS is not on for inactive runways.
the active runway is determined by wind direction as its set in the ME. if the airfield has only one ILS approach direction and the wind is not in favor of that approach, no matter the time, no matter the weather, ILS wont be active currently. probably another thing ED should consider changing.

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rongor said:

I wouldn't rule out ILS gets turned off to save power, especially on airports which face hours of no arriving traffic at all.

It still depends on whether the runway is equipped with ILS for both directions. If ILS is only available for one direction and the wind demands approaches from the opposite direction, they would likely still leave the ILS active because you could still make use of it for backcourse localizer approaches. Even if this type of approach isn't published for that airfield, it still can help in emergencies.

Backcourse approaches aren't really a thing anymore outside the US. Modern ILS systems use highly directional antenna systems, and the back lobe of the array is so marginal that it can't be used for backcourse approaches.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 11:04 PM, drPhibes said:

Make sure you have a headwind of >5kt for the runway direction equipped with ILS.

But I still think there is an issue, I noticed it again lately on Syria and Marianas map.

I think the headwind was > 5 kts, still the ILS was not active for some airbases like Andersen or Akrotiri.

Alias in Discord: Mailman