F-4E Phantom Development Report - DCS Newsletter 31/03/2023

IronMike

12 hours ago, Temetre said:

I mean the release schedule is very obvious if you think about it.

1. We expected plane last year, didnt come that year.

2. We now expected plane this year, so it wont come this year.

3. The plane will always come next year, roughly on pace with fusion power.

It might release before the F-15E, however.

Can't say if it's really hopium on the last part there. I am thinking we'll be more likely to see the 15 along with Sinai and possibly F4U before the 4 though, just based on the fact that 15 will probably won't see another delay, Sinai has also been in the hands of YTubers, and Corsair is seeming to be pretty close. With the F-4 under wraps as much as it is, I imagine we will probably end up being surprised by when it does hit pre-order. 

• Like 1

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

11 minutes ago, RevampedGrunt said:

Can't say if it's really hopium on the last part there. I am thinking we'll be more likely to see the 15 along with Sinai and possibly F4U before the 4 though, just based on the fact that 15 will probably won't see another delay, Sinai has also been in the hands of YTubers, and Corsair is seeming to be pretty close. With the F-4 under wraps as much as it is, I imagine we will probably end up being surprised by when it does hit pre-order. 

Had my fingers on an RF-4C today.  That will hold me for a little while.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb RevampedGrunt:

Last part was more of a joke^^

1 hour ago, Temetre said:

Last part was more of a joke^^

With how things were looking... F-4 before F-15 seemed almost realistic. 

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito

vor 12 Minuten schrieb RevampedGrunt:

With how things were looking... F-4 before F-15 seemed almost realistic. 

Yeah im joking now about, but it wouldnt be the most crazy thing. 

But gotta make sure not to get your hopes up to high^^

On 6/7/2023 at 6:19 PM, Temetre said:

Yeah im joking now about, but it wouldnt be the most crazy thing. 

But gotta make sure not to get your hopes up to high^^

My hopes are all over the place, like the mood of someone who's bi-polar. With Sinai releasing out of no where though, maybe a rather sudden pre-order isn't too impossible. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RevampedGrunt said:

My hopes are all over the place, like the mood of someone who's bi-polar. With Sinai releasing out of no where though, maybe a rather sudden pre-order isn't too impossible. 

A sudden pre-order is the most likely.  Don't forget in what neighborhood you're standing; BN announces a patch on a certain day 'subject to change'.  The day changes, someone posts about how ED LIED to everybody, and where is the fix for my pet bug?

Better to say nothing at all right up until release date, then whip out the titanium umbrellas because...

So, to console myself, I'm going to go drool on an F-4E this weekend.  The RF-4C effect is already wearing off after two days, but the Habu lingers. 

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Raisuli:

A sudden pre-order is the most likely.  Don't forget in what neighborhood you're standing; BN announces a patch on a certain day 'subject to change'.  The day changes, someone posts about how ED LIED to everybody, and where is the fix for my pet bug?

Better to say nothing at all right up until release date, then whip out the titanium umbrellas because...

So, to console myself, I'm going to go drool on an F-4E this weekend.  The RF-4C effect is already wearing off after two days, but the Habu lingers. 

Have fun drooling 😉

Hope you post some nice Pictures

4 minutes ago, AzraelKurita said:

Have fun drooling 😉

Hope you post some nice Pictures

Two afterburning engines, two seat, wings, air force markings, must be an F-4E.  Just like the one HB is going to release in two weeks. 

Don't tell anyone, but the Phantom would be, on the whole, a lot more fun.  This is kind of single purpose and while awesome in theory in practice it would be much less so...

habu.jpg

59 minutes ago, Raisuli said:

Two afterburning engines, two seat, wings, air force markings, must be an F-4E.  Just like the one HB is going to release in two weeks. 

Don't tell anyone, but the Phantom would be, on the whole, a lot more fun.  This is kind of single purpose and while awesome in theory in practice it would be much less so...

habu.jpg

I love that museum! I need to get back there some time! Once HB's F-4E comes out I'm going to need a plane to do some rivet counting on 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WTFCSon said:

I love that museum! I need to get back there some time! Once HB's F-4E comes out I'm going to need a plane to do some rivet counting on 😉

They have the RF-4C.  Off topic, but still interesting, I was getting all weak-kneed over the phantom, then noticed the same intakes on a different aircraft and wondered if they had a second Phantom (they've got an F-117 and a Vulcan in the restoration hanger now).  Turned out to be a MiG-23.  I 'know' the -23 copied the phantom intakes, but until you see them side by side it's hard to believe just how similar they are!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raisuli said:

I hope that's the case. At least we won't have to worry about servers being down for a day with the pre-order though... When the Phantom does release, I could only imagine how many 502 error's we'll be seeing.

1 minute ago, RevampedGrunt said:

I hope that's the case. At least we won't have to worry about servers being down for a day with the pre-order though... When the Phantom does release, I could only imagine how many 502 error's we'll be seeing.

If I were to hazard a guess, and that's all this is because I don't have any more information than anyone else other than experience with the same kind of thing, the 402s had nothing to do with server load.  They've done popular releases in the past.  My guess is a database went casters up, and I'll bet it was more a glitch adding the columns for Sinai than because it got loaded.  Human error, and humans make errors.  It happens.

Either way I wouldn't expect to see that again any time soon, release or no release.  Until they prove me wrong I'm not remotely concerned about a repeat on the F4 launch.

10 minutes ago, Raisuli said:

If I were to hazard a guess, and that's all this is because I don't have any more information than anyone else other than experience with the same kind of thing, the 402s had nothing to do with server load.  They've done popular releases in the past.  My guess is a database went casters up, and I'll bet it was more a glitch adding the columns for Sinai than because it got loaded.  Human error, and humans make errors.  It happens.

Either way I wouldn't expect to see that again any time soon, release or no release.  Until they prove me wrong I'm not remotely concerned about a repeat on the F4 launch.

I was sure it happened with the Apache release. I recall having issues with logging in for a good while when one of the more popular modules released recently. Didn't get the 504 but there was someone saying that could've been due to the F-15 being leaked. 

6 minutes ago, RevampedGrunt said:

I was sure it happened with the Apache release. I recall having issues with logging in for a good while when one of the more popular modules released recently. Didn't get the 504 but there was someone saying that could've been due to the F-15 being leaked. 

The F-15 'leak' possibility is interesting, and actually adds fuel to the database theory, but it's still not conclusive.  What we saw wasn't a login server getting swatted, though there was that too  🙃

Either way ED handled it well.  They fixed the problem and communicated everything the unwashed masses needed to know: We're aware of it, we're working on it, we will fix it as quickly as we can.  Anything else just ads churn, and when you're talking to an internet full of 'experts', myself included, that was enough.

Tomorrow morning I get my greasy paws on an F-4E.  I'm sure nobody would mind if I hitch it up and tow it to my garage...

1 hour ago, Raisuli said:

The F-15 'leak' possibility is interesting, and actually adds fuel to the database theory, but it's still not conclusive.  What we saw wasn't a login server getting swatted, though there was that too  🙃

Either way ED handled it well.  They fixed the problem and communicated everything the unwashed masses needed to know: We're aware of it, we're working on it, we will fix it as quickly as we can.  Anything else just ads churn, and when you're talking to an internet full of 'experts', myself included, that was enough.

Tomorrow morning I get my greasy paws on an F-4E.  I'm sure nobody would mind if I hitch it up and tow it to my garage...

Should let me take a ride in the backseat in that case. 

On 6/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, Raisuli said:

The RF-4C effect is already wearing off after two days, but the Habu lingers. 

Quite the opposite for me. You can all have your memejets and fart into your PX suit at 80kft and climbing, after purging nitro for 30 minutes suiting up and having an aide carry your mobile AC to the jet.

I'll just head over to the bar in my sweaty cotton-suit and order a Mai-Tai, while somebody is unloading that bbq I brought over in my jet's empty camera-compartment.

• Like 2

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 5:29 PM, Baco said:

I could not care less for the Eagle, I am waiting for the Phantom, actually the navy Phantom but I might die before we get it so I´ll go for the land version..

But I wont even think of getting excited till we see a video and/or cockpit screenshots...

As someone who predates the Phantom IRL, I feel exactly the same way.  It's taken FAR to long to bring this bird to fruition.  It was not first announced in 2022.  It was FIRST announced in 2017 by Belsimtek.  I actually hope to live long enough to see it on my hard drive, but I don't believe it will come out this year.  1Q 2024 at the EARLIEST.

On 5/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, 4eyes said:

Maybe the Phantom is a Phantom.........

It's been done before

On 5/26/2023 at 4:49 AM, Jaakov said:

My guess is, according to the situation with F-15E, we won't see Phantom sooner than Q1/Q2 2024.

I agree 100%.  Q1 2024 at the EARLIEST, but I won't believe it until it's on my hard drive

• Like 1