Electronic Warfare, DCS module.

ADHS

The recent battlefield in ukraine, has revealed a hidden force that is fighting at
the present wars and have a significant role in: Electronic. Drones, Satellites, etc.
I think it will be a good idea to include this role in a new or an existence DCS module.

Edited by ADHS
  • Like 2

Democracy was already invented, while Scrat was eating oak fruits.

Going right for a module might be optimistic. AI might make a better first step, firstly because EW is complicated and secondly because it's usually secretive. With AI simplification is more acceptable and we kind of need EW aircraft in numbers for SP and MP missions for SEAD and strike packages.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The US doesn't do strikes into contested airspace without EW support, period.  For as accurate as DCS is, I'm frankly surprised there is no place for support jamming, either by the EA-6B, the EF-111, or the EA-18G in more modern campaigns.  In real life it is certainly complicated, but provided the jamming is on axis, going against a known (located) threat, this would be relatively easy to implement.  The jamming effects could simply be modeled as reduced detection ranges by the systems affected.  So for example, while flying into an SA-10 MEZ without support jamming is suicide, hypothetically, with jamming, the detection range could be reduced to make this a survivable event.  It would also improve the survivability of the weapons that would be potentially employed against the threat systems.  In any case, it would add a layer of realism that is currently lacking.

• Like 2

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

There was talk, some time ago, about an IADS module which would include some EW functionality. It's been quiet about it lately, though.

We know enough about jamming to implement it from Vietnam era to circa 90s, I'd say. Vietnam-era gear is definitely within range, those were relatively simple techniques. Modern, there's a lot of classified info, but there are public books on EW fundamentals, it could be a lot better than it is. Viper and Hornet already have a much improved jammer implementation. We don't need detailed jamming implementation or the EW aircraft switchology, we only need the basics of how they affect airborne and surface radars. This can be figured out to some extent, particularly for older systems. Unfortunately, for modern stuff, educated guesswork is all we can have.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

There was talk, some time ago, about an IADS module which would include some EW functionality. It's been quiet about it lately, though.

That didn't pan out and ED was looking into alternatives.

Personally just updating SAM behavior to flash or coordinate with AWACS/EWR would be a massive improvement. A detailed module would great but is not necessary, and I'd argue the gains from simple quick changes are so large that it should be a separate long term project.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

8 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

The IADS module disapear from the scope some years ago, as the "Modern Assets Pack". Meanwhile dont have a official news about them, I think that projects has banished.

2 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

The IADS module disapear from the scope some years ago, as the "Modern Assets Pack". Meanwhile dont have a official news about them, I think that projects has banished.

Pretty sure I remember an "official" ED post saying that whoever was looking at doing the IADS had decided not to do it after all.  That was in response to a question about it's status.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:32 AM, Exorcet said:

That didn't pan out and ED was looking into alternatives.

Personally just updating SAM behavior to flash or coordinate with AWACS/EWR would be a massive improvement. A detailed module would great but is not necessary, and I'd argue the gains from simple quick changes are so large that it should be a separate long term project.

Agreed but there should be some settings on this...because actually not as many operators out there are doing IADS to the level that we imagine them to be at all... for various reasons it's actually a lot harder to do from a practical / training perspective that it seems.