Reduced Message Text in VR

This is another one I've been using which I haven't shared yet.  Some may find it useful.

By default, on screen text is too large for me in VR.  Often overlays on my cockpit if the message is long.  This mod reduces the font.  Also makes comm menu to be smaller.

They look too small in the comparison below but they look right in VR.

Reduced Text Font

Smaller_text_1.gif

With comm menu

Smaller_text_2.gif

ADJUSTMENTS:

• Onscreen message font sizes are adjusted by line 148, 255, 340, 462 of gameMessages.dlg.  Default font size is 20.
  • Comm menu fonts are adjusted by line 49 of CommandMenu.lua

NOTES:

• Passes IC
  • Even with this mod installed, it doesn't change the font size in 2D.  This only affects VR.

INSTALL:  Files go into main DCS install path.  Mod Manager recommended.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@Taz1004 Thanks! This is really useful, it's especially annoying in Through the Inferno for example where there are regular messages re AWACS etc 👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for this mod!!!!! I always wondered, why nobody else is complaining about this huge text size in VR. Especially when playing TTI. With this mod it is still readable and the text messages do not occupier the whole view! Absolutely awesome!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, Hiob said:
@Taz1004
Hi Taz, do you know if there is a similar way to increase the font-size of the telemetry overlay (ctrl+pause)? ty

Have you tried Intel's Present Monitor?

Edit: Never mind, I have no idea how it looks in VR.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Edited by MAXsenna

2 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Have you tried Intel's Present Monitor?

Edit: Never mind, I have no idea how it looks in VR.

I wasn't thinking of VR in particular tbh, but I would prefer a "mod" over a third party application.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Sure! Though I looked elsewhere for that exact reason. The text/number size. emoji6.png

Well I use Afterburner/Riva for that. But the ingame telemetry would be sufficiant most of the time IF I could effing read it.....😅

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Well I use Afterburner/Riva for that. But the ingame telemetry would be sufficiant most of the time IF I could effing read it.....
Yeah, but it's so ugly! To be honest I haven't really tried to tweak it. I use VoiceAttack to enable/disable everything. Might look into it again!

When ED added the scrollable radio/command window, CommandMenu.lua received a substantial increase of lines of code, until Taz updates his download, I would recommend everyone go find their vanilla version and modify their font size themselves. 

If you currently install this mod (as of writing this) and you lose that feature, this is why. 

• Thanks 1

the line to change in commandmenu.lua is still line 49 , the value of 1.75 to 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...