[NO LONGER PASSES IC] Improved Contact Dot Spotting (Updated v1.1)

Why485

Is this better? Poll for NineLine  

682 members have voted

1. 1. Is this mod an improvement?

• Seems better to me
    • Seems the same to me
    • Seems worse to me

• Why485 changed the title to Improved Contact Dot Spotting

Can it be installed as server mod? If so, where should it be placed?

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

This is just SCANDAL that for all those years our beloved dev team done...not enough in this most important matter for combat sim!!!
In real life spotting is dependent on light, weather (humidity and clouds) and distance. In DCS on...dots :(.
For WW2 spotting is EVERYTING.
Come on ED... Please.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, 303_HOLY said:

This is just SCANDAL that for all those years our beloved dev team done...not enough in this most important matter for combat sim!!!
In real life spotting is dependent on light, weather (humidity and clouds) and distance. In DCS on...dots :(.
For WW2 spotting is EVERYTING.
Come on ED... Please.

Well,  easier said than done I would assume.....

@Why485 Very cool approach! Though I would take into account, that spotting a pixel in a pixel soup is a always harder (given the same appearent size, color and contrast) than spotting a similar physical object in the real sky. (Because it doesn't move basically).

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• ED Team

We have raised the issue of this passing integrity check to the team. 

I suspect labels.lua / dots will need to be added to the IC

Thank you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I suspect labels.lua will need to be added to the IC

Thank you 

Newy, wrong file.  This is dots.fx.

Can ED at least improve the dots before removing our ability to alter them?  Maybe implement the mod as a permanent change so that playing at a higher resolution isn't a negative?

Edited by StandingCow
  • Like 14

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

• ED Team
Just now, StandingCow said:

Nooooooooooooooooo.  😞 

Can ED at least improve the dots before removing our ability to alter them?  Maybe implement the mod as a permanent change so that higher resolution isn't a negative?

We have highlighted it to the team, however currently we have no plans to change spotting in DCS so I can make no promises. 

thanks

• Thanks 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, StandingCow said:

Newy, wrong file.  This is dots.fx.

edited thanks

22 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

We have highlighted it to the team, however currently we have no plans to change spotting in DCS so I can make no promises. 

thanks

I don't understand that... there are obvious flaws with current ED implementation, and a guy makes a mod which, even if not perfect, improves things a lot, and ED is like "we don't plan to change anything".

Just... why? It's minimal development time, and would improve one of the most important aspect of air combat for WW2 and early cold war!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team
21 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

I don't understand that... there are obvious flaws with current ED implementation, and a guy makes a mod which, even if not perfect, improves things a lot, and ED is like "we don't plan to change anything".

Just... why? It's minimal development time, and would improve one of the most important aspect of air combat for WW2 and early cold war!

Mods will still work, but they should not be passing pure integrity check. 

I have mentioned spotting to the team already. 

thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lekaa said:

can this mod be used if no labels is enabled in the settings? or does it require Dot only?

This has nothing to do with the labels. It affects the dot.

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

Well,  easier said than done I would assume.....

@Why485 Very cool approach! Though I would take into account, that spotting a pixel in a pixel soup is a always harder (given the same appearent size, color and contrast) than spotting a similar physical object in the real sky. (Because it doesn't move basically).

I don't think dots in isolation are a particularly good solution to spotting, but they're all I have to work with. The old impostors were much better, since you could read a silhouette and aspect from them, but we all know how that went. They were flawed, but the problems were totally fixable.

4 hours ago, Amarok_73 said:

Can it be installed as server mod? If so, where should it be placed?

It cannot. It's only a shader.

Edited by Why485
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

I suspect labels.lua / dots will need to be added to the IC

Thank you 

This mod has nothing to do with labels. There is also no reason for labels.lua to be IC checked since its contents are already enforced by the server-side configuration.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Why485 said:

I don't think dots in isolation are a particularly good solution to spotting, but they're all I have to work with. 

I don't have a problem with dots/pixels. Given enough distance - everything shrinks to a dot before it vanishes in the background. I was aiming more at the shortcomings of a artificial sky on a screen versus the real thing. The human eye can perfectly pinpoint a single dot in the sky and keep track. Regardless how much you move your head around, the sky and the dot (when far away) will stay put. On the screen both will change positions erratically when moving the head (especially in VR and with TrackIR) which makes it a ton more difficult to keep track of a single dot.

Personally I would suggest to make them a bit bigger and fade them out later to compensate for that shortcoming. But that is only my opinion/preference - nothing more.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

This is a very frustrating response to something that is clearly broken.

There is no reason spotting dots should outperform radar, and there is no reason for spotting to be easier or harder depending on your screen resolution.

Edited by Sarowa
  • Like 20

• ED Team
25 minutes ago, Why485 said:

This mod has nothing to do with labels. There is also no reason for labels.lua to be IC checked since its contents are already enforced by the server-side configuration.

the team will look into it and determine, thank you

2 minutes ago, Sarowa said:

This is a very frosting response to something that is clearly broken.

There is no reason spotting dots should outperform radar, and there is no reason for spotting to be easier or harder depending on your screen resolution.

We do not agree it is broken, but like I have said I have raised it with the team. 

------------------------

I have hidden petty squabbling posts, please keep the discussion friendly and respect peoples opinions even if you do not agree with them. 

thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't say that it is broken.

It's propably better framed as a topic "that leaves room for improvement".

All things considered, the lack of masking the dots by structures and especially clouds is a bigger deal than the dots themselves and most likely way harder to solve.

• Like 3

Just now, BIGNEWY said:

We do not agree it is broken, but like I have said I have raised it with the team. 

Sorry, but when in a Rift S I can instantly see a fighter at more than 30 miles because there is a big fat dot appearing, something is wrong. Irl spotting a jet at this distance is insanely hard, borderline impossible if you don't know where to look. 

Meanwhile people at 4K have difficulties spotting anything at more than a few miles. Knowing that ED is satisfied with that is unbelievable to me.

• Like 37

Agreed, amazes me how ED can think dots and spotting are not broken while they completely are, especially on higher resolutions. And what fascinates me, is that these are long lasting problems which would require a pretty easy temporary fix while waiting for a definitive solution (like the bomb splash damage) or even better, have already been patched up by the community.

I'd rather have slightly too easy spotting, than the situation we face now where you can literally lose track of an object in front of you just because it has passed through your canopy frame for a second (problem is particullary bad in the Mig-21 and F-14 for example) or because you glanced at your instruments. And I don't buy the "spotting is hard IRL" thing, since living near an airport makes it pretty clear to me how "hard" spotting but more notabily tracking airplanes is.

• Like 21

Welp back to playing at sub 1080p for massive dots you can spot 30+ miles out rip

The fact that you can spot planes before your radar at lower resolutions definently sounds like something working as intended

Edited by Zholik
  • Like 11

I don't think spotting is fine until we can get resolution parity. It cannot be intended that the optimal way to spot targets at a distance is to reduce your resolution below native. This mod has shown that we CAN get resolution parity, and I think it's worth acknowledging that maybe at least that aspect of this mod should be the default behavior.

It seems like a clear improvement to spotting; even if the team says spotting isn't broken doesn't mean it can't be improved.

• Like 14