Better G Force Indication

Roosterfeet

Some indication of G's aside from blackout would be really helpful for ACM. In particular it's important to be able to tell if G is increasing or decreasing while tracking a bandit. Something like an optional color change or bass tone with a variable pitch might work. Personally, I would be happy with nice big numbers in the corners of the screen.

Here's an example of a renowned F-14 pilot really struggling to control the aircraft during ACM in DCS because he doesn't have a lot of time in DCS and since he can't feel the G load like he would in real life while tracking a bandit, he has a strong tendency to pull too hard and stall. It's a great instructional video, btw.

Edited by Roosterfeet
  • Like 4

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

• 2 weeks later...

I also wish this was better represented.

Perhaps as an exaggerated head bob at low Gs and some faint screen effects, maybe the pilot eyebrows being pushed down from the top of the screen at high G or something like that.

Currently, it's not really possible to judge a  0.2G up/down/forward/backward/left/right difference when on final.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

When you look at real life dogfighting footage, you have to wonder how long a jet pilot can even handle the G's in a dogfight.

You can hear the pain and stress on the body for the pilot here, which unfortunately is not modelled in DCS at all (expect for some too mild breathing sound). Yet in DCS we fly around infinitely at high rates of G's. You can probably sustain 9 G's for minutes in the F-16 if you want, which isn't realistic at all. You can also look around freely, while IRL you probably couldn't move your head very far at high G's.

Is there any plan of modelling this somewhat realisticly, like slowly blacking out after a certain time of high G's and progressively decreasing this time during a flight to model the fatigue? Also improved sounds of G-strain? Limiting the field of view due to inability to move the head? Would be nice to have something like this.

Edited by TheFreshPrince
  • Like 3

with regards to "simulated fatigue" i think we will just have to accept this area as a limit of the medium. its like how some people try to keep suggesting simulations of the suppressive effect of gunfire in fps games, but time and again it's proven that it simply doesn't work. if the player behind the screen doesn't feel the fear or pain, then they aren't going to do the things that fear or pain makes them do and the dissonance between what you want to do and what you are forced to do will just feel like frustrating developer sadism rather than a genuine internalized experience. i personally think you will literally have to wait until we have some interface that can directly stimulate nerves and induce a nervous response to get that authenticity.

i have definitely encountered before a segment of the audience asking for these sorts of features who only do so because they know (or worse, merely believe) it would only disadvantage their opponents and thus yield them the preference in a match, and i think it to be a destructive and unsporting attitude seldom grounded in any true interest in the improvement of the product.

Edited by probad
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, probad said:

i personally think you will literally have to wait until we have some interface that can directly stimulate nerves and induce a nervous response to get that authenticity.

What? A shock collar connected to your PC? 😆

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just an idea: The built-in controls indicator (RCtrl+ENTER) is written in LUA, so if you find a way to feed it an acceleration variable you can essentially strip it off and turn it into a big G-force indicator, animated even.

There is an option the simulate G-Forces on head movement.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs