Bombing ASL guides pilot in opposite direction when upside down

SnappyComebacks

In the typical use case of CCRP, the ASL will guide you to the target.  If the ASL is to the side, you turn towards the ASL until the flight path vector intersects the ASL.  Unfortunately, when the aircraft is upside down the ASL encourages you turn away from target, and not towards the target.  When upside down, the more you deviate from a perfect target lineup, the more the ASL wants to guide you away from a good target lineup.

I believe that the ASL should encourage you to steer towards the target, regardless of if the plane is upside up or upside down.

Mission and Track are attached.

UpsideUp.png

UpsideDown.png

F-16_ASL_Off.zip

• Like 7

• ED Team

I have to ask why are you trying to bomb upside down? 🙂

is there any references in pubic for the correct behaviour? if anyone has something please PM me 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I have to ask why are you trying to bomb upside down? 🙂

is there any references in pubic for the correct behaviour? if anyone has something please PM me 

Think a dive profile where you are rolling inverted to get on the correct angle

• Like 2

Varzat_signatur.png

while i do think upside down bombing is rather questionable if not unreasonably dangerous, the ASL (azimuth steering line) should still not point in the opposite direction of where your steerpoint actually is, no matter the attitude of the aircraft.

and as mentioned by VarZat, a pop up profile that requires some offset, some roll over and pull down to get on final attack heading will include this. if during that maneuver, the ASL misguides you, this can end very badly

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 2

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, VarZat said:

Think a dive profile where you are rolling inverted to get on the correct angle

wouldn't you just use CCIP for that? CCRP is for level flight

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

DTOS still gives you an ASL upon designating. also youd use CCRP until you can visually see the target, then switch to CCIP. Switching modes mostly happens on the final wire to the target (after the pull down and roll out)

thats why OAs are so important. By stepping through the sighting option you get steering information to the offset aimpoints (thats how you fly a proper pop-up profile as per the manual).

CCRP is for level flight, but not limited to it. toss profiles are far from level flight and CCRP is much more accurate than LADD

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, escaner said:

I reported this same bug in the F18 years ago, not solved yet. Looks like they both use the same broken algorithm.
This is an important feature when you fly low altitude pop up attack profiles where you roll inverted at the top of the manoeuvre.

https://codex.uoaf.net/images/c/ce/Noncomputedpopup.gif

Speaking of F18, here's a canadian hornet rolling out from inverted prior to a diving AUTO delivery. Notice how the ASL is offset towards the target, regardless of which way up the aircraft is.

• Like 3

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2