Gr7/9 upgrade

Toga10

Hi all, 

I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch already but does Razbam have any plans to add the GR7/9 to the module in a similar way to how heatblur has included the F14A in the Tomcat? I'm aware that there was a plan to make a GR7 but it was canned due to classified avionics previously. However, I was more wondering about the possibility of a model change, the ability to carry British ordinance, and more importantly that outrigger ASRAAM rail. I know a lot of people would love this and another British aircraft wouldn't go a miss.null

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Regards the Plus, they also suggested it would also be treated as a new module rather than a varient of the existing NA.

One would hope therefore that they put significant effort into laying new and more stable foundations for it, based off their experiences with the Mudhen, rather than grandfathering-in all the NA technical debt that must be a significant burden on the team at the minute. I see a lot of chat about how the existing Harrier needs to be "finished" before work on new feature should begin, but the truth is that at this stage that starting fresh with the benefit of experience may produce a better end product there. 

To the original point, it seems like a model update could be a possibility, as they included UK specifics when limiting the load-outs recently to somewhat fill the gap and they produced GR7 visuals for other products historically. But systems development from this point probably needs to be written down on some sort of Roadmap from them. 

Edited by Ich Dien

3 hours ago, Ich Dien said:

Regards the Plus, they also suggested it would also be treated as a new module rather than a varient of the existing NA.

One would hope therefore that they put significant effort into laying new and more stable foundations for it, based off their experiences with the Mudhen, rather than grandfathering-in all the NA technical debt that must be a significant burden on the team at the minute. I see a lot of chat about how the existing Harrier needs to be "finished" before work on new feature should begin, but the truth is that at this stage that starting fresh with the benefit of experience may produce a better end product there. 

To the original point, it seems like a model update could be a possibility, as they included UK specifics when limiting the load-outs recently to somewhat fill the gap and they produced GR7 visuals for other products historically. But systems development from this point probably needs to be written down on some sort of Roadmap from them. 

yes, it would be nice if they could touch up their FSX GR7 model and implement it onto the na with a few additional features. would be better than nothing! 🙂

I would be more than happy with just a GR7/9 model with the extra hard point and tusks under the nose etc, even if the cockpit and systems were exactly the same. Probably would need some British weapons as well though: mark 80 series bombs on an RAF harrier just looks wrong. I can always dream and use RAF skins in the mean time 😁

• Like 4

The GR7/9s were originally looked at according what's been said, but due to UK MoD restrictions none of the modern UK Harriers can currently be done. Which is why the AV-8B NA became what we have now. The AV-8B NA at it's current state is largely feature complete, there are some things that remain with it, such as loft bombing mode and the huge designation logic rework they are doing on it currently. But the performance, weapons, etc are largely where they should be for the jet. But then there are other minor bugs they are trying to work through as DCS constantly gets updated and it breaks something. In terms of the Plus model, it's been confirmed it will be done and will be based largely off the NA which is why it needs to be polished and finished prior to them starting on the Plus variant. It will be it's own module simply because its more complex than the NA is. On paper they don't look dissimilar, but in application, they are quite different. Shoving a huge number of F/A-18 capabilities into it are fairly complex. Also depends on what variant in history of the Plus we'd get as well. Based on discussions I've seen with Razbam, the only UK Harrier that MIGHT be possible is the GR3. The Sea Harrier as a module was axed due to more UK MoD non-cooperation, but Prowler stated there will at least be an AI FRS1 at some point.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 8:28 PM, Mumby said:

I would be more than happy with just a GR7/9 model with the extra hard point and tusks under the nose etc, even if the cockpit and systems were exactly the same. Probably would need some British weapons as well though: mark 80 series bombs on an RAF harrier just looks wrong. I can always dream and use RAF skins in the mean time 😁

Same here. That extra hardpoint on each side could be great for the sidewinders, leaving the outer most two pilons available for bombs, thus increasing the planes capabilities. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/20/2023 at 4:25 AM, MagicSlave said:

+1 for British Harrier GR7/9! I would happily settle for purely visual model with the extra weapon rails

Sent from my FP4 using Tapatalk

Same. I mean they basically did that with the F-15I in the F-15E release. Why not do the same here and give us the GR7/9 external model with extra rails?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, MagicSlave said:

+1 for British Harrier GR7/9! I would happily settle for purely visual model with the extra weapon rails

Sent from my FP4 using Tapatalk

I guess we would need someone with lots of talent to either create a GR7/GR9 model or someone to use one that they have purchased. Either way its a lot to ask and would need someone with a passion.

There is a great sound mod from the low level warning of an RAF jet someone has created. I was also able to change the Agm-122 edm files and swapped it with the Alarm model. Works the same and looks great. I tried to add BL755s to the weapons inventory of the harrier but couldn't. There are some great RAF skins out there for the Harrier though. But agree with you 100% a cosmetic only mod to add the GR7/9 model to the existing harrier would be so welcome. The cockpits of the AV8/GR7/9 aircraft are very similar. harrierRAF.png

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, Scorch00 said:

Based on discussions I've seen with Razbam, the only UK Harrier that MIGHT be possible is the GR3. The Sea Harrier as a module was axed due to more UK MoD non-cooperation, but Prowler stated there will at least be an AI FRS1 at some point.

I completely missed that, and that' s bad. I'd have thought something as old as the Falklands-era FRS1 should not be a problem for the MoD... Now, I'd gladly take a RAF Gr. 3, actually one of my very favorite aviation books is about Gr. 3s in the Falkland, but that clearly is not the iconic fighter of that conflict.

All that assuming that there is a long-term aim to picture the historical Falkland conflict, of course, and that would also require the opposition.

Edited by Delta-canard

That's for sure. Still, it's hard to understand as it is a seriously old radar. I've heard French Mod was paranoid but even they didn't mind the RDI radar, and that one was able of guiding missiles. I get there is some common genealogy between the Tornado ADV  and the Typhoon, but the FRS1 is way older.

radar is radar comrade. Some parts (probably the nuts, bolts and screws) made their way into the ADV and Tiffy

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 1 month later...

Having looked around online, on these forums and other sites…

…the argument re the FRS1 / Blue Fox radar meaning the Sea Harrier isn’t plausible seems like baloney to me. There’s information out there to come up with a convincing “simulation” of Blue Fox - after all, what do we think all the other DCS aircraft have??? They’re all going to be simplified approximations.

I do get that the AMRAAM capable Blue Vixen in the Sea Harrier FA2 was highly protected, and was a precursor to the Typhoon’s Captor system…

… which all makes perfect sense - until you read the speculation on the HB / TG about which version of Captor the DCS Typhoon will ship with😡😡😡😡

RAZBAM - just get on and model it - nobody here will know if it’s realistic or not.  Use the Falklands SMEs that are still around to guide you. The thing is 3 gens out of date

• Like 1