Rudder Pedals sliding on the floor

Aviators

I own a "Slaw Device" pedalboard like this in photo:

RX%20Viper%20V2%20Dark%20Metallic1.jpg

The problem is one, the floor slips, how can I stop it? At the moment I put some wooden boards behind, but if I pedal on one side violently, the pedal will move the same.
How did you solve this?
What do you recommend?
I avoid fixing it on the ground, because every time I move and rest.

PS: i have a chair with brakes on the wheels.

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Even the rubber mat slips occasionally. I can consider a wooden table, but the problem is the space to lay it later.

• Like 1

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

There are (lockable) hinges. Could do it like i and Hunter Joker explained but cut the board in half behind the rudder pedals. With the lockable hinges, you could remove the pin, separate the boards and store them on top of each other. When using normal hinges, you could fold the board and push it back to the wall so the rear board sits on the wall in a ~90° angle. In the latter case probably also put a bar, so the rear board can not fall onto the pedals.

edit: probably use thicker MDF then, like 16mm, to make it more sturdy.

image.png

Edited by Minhal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, if you have carpets, velcro is your best friend, my combat rudders actually take quite some effort to pull loose

As for when mounted on a plank

1357345981.jpg

Just mount these on the board upside down

This prevents the setup from hinging up when applying too much forward force

might want to put some foam on the rear to prevent damage to the wall(paper)

Edited by Nightdare
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

Thanks, I don't have carpets, but only "greis porcellanato".

However, wooden table with hinges, or bracket behind the pedals, both are beautiful ideas.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I just ordered a roll of 3M adhesive non-slip pads that I plan on cutting and applying to the bottom of my pedals. Will let you know how they work.

I've got Crosswind pedals on a wooden floor.

From my experience, anti-slip pads need a lot of care. Once they attracted some dust - and they do well and quickly - they lose their stickiness. Got to clean them with water and a bit of soap quite often, the floor too. Looking forward to your experience, maybe the 3M differ from other manufacturers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Minhal said:

From my experience, anti-slip pads need a lot of care. Once they attracted some dust - and they do well and quickly - they lose their stickiness. Got to clean them with water and a bit of soap quite often, the floor too. Looking forward to your experience, maybe the 3M differ from other manufacturers.

I see, makes sense.

The difficulty is the nice floors and baseboards do not lend themselves well to any modifications. I really wish homebuilders would consider flight sim peripherals during design and construction!

• Like 4

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

If you can source a sheet of this microsuction "tape", it works really really well for sticking your pedals to a hard-surface floor.  It's not tape at all, rather a microscopic suction cup surface that adheres like tape but is easy to remove/replace/clean and leaves no residue.  It's the same stuff that Honeycomb uses on their mounts for the Alpha/Bravo controls, if you are familiar with that..

https://sewelldirect.com/products/airstick-microsuction-tape?variant=15164885270574

Amazon (US at least) has it, or you can try direct from Sewell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Double sided, golf regrip (masking) tape works great. And it's not a pain in the ass to remove later.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Ok, so I applied this 3M stuff to the bottom of a little plywood frame that I created to give the pedals clearance from the wall. It seems to help hold the pedals still at least for now. We'll see how that holds up in the future.

The white box is something I bought to hold the power strip and cords from all the PC and peripherals to keep the place looking neater, and also weighs down the plywood frame.

IMG_20230519_093223683_HDR.jpg

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 3

Erm, isn't that 'white box' a breadbin 😆? Secret stash of chocolate could go in there.

I have the same problem. With the rudder pedal footing, not the choccies. I 'temporarily' used a wooden sliding drawer I have had in my desk. That sits face down on a carpeted floor and I have the same Crosswinds as Unlikely Spider on the floor up against that. I could do with some longer spacers really. Same as the ones that came with the pedals, just a wee bit longer. I really should do something more permanent. Some interesting ideas in here though.

I have this grippy shelf liner under mine, it works really well

For racing I have this PEIN Pedal Mount, it’s great because it’s mobile for when I switch sims. Racing needs a firmer solution than flying. 

4C594D6A-FBD3-4C32-852B-B02E1432E9B6.jpeg

8B8B1203-350E-4169-9E54-D685CB40016C.jpeg

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

nullMine is bookended by two marble plates. Don't buy them from kitchen supplies stores like I did... very expensive.

Anyway... I used other methods like a long stainless steel rod to butt against two front legs of the table. But this 2x marble plates method is much better.

1. I get to position it anywhere I like, instead of where the table legs are.

2. The rear plate serves as a glide surface for my heels without wearing two tracks on my carpet, like most planes and cars do. Plus, the marble surface has just the right surface roughness for bare feet to glide on.

Bottom line is... just some plates heavy enough, with the surface texture you like.

IMG_1734.png

On 5/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, unlikely_spider said:

IMG_20230519_093223683_HDR.jpg

Spider are these V3 pedals?

Looking at this thread and seeing the hydraulic bit in use I thought since I'd spent the money, I should give it another go. I took it off after a while and flying warbirds, didn't think I wanted it. Trying to refit it was a bit odd so I watched Milans video again on how to fit it. I think he's using either V1 or V2s to demonstrate it but mine are V3s. Extra holes and a little different maybe but I didn't fit that triangular wedge you both have fitted. If I use that piece, the hydraulic bit isn't level.

I get that you're not MFGs secret agent, just trying to compare how we've put them together. Since seeing this pic, and spotting my otherwise tucked away 109 pedals, the OC indoors keeps winding me up to refit those as "They look better". I have the combat pedal things on as I couldn't bring myself to fly the Spit while riding 109 jobbies, nice as they are. Treasonable offence, surely. I'll be looking for Supermarine style pedals but then it starts all the brake pedal arguments.

I've got spare parts here and I'm curious.

7 hours ago, Slippa said:

Spider are these V3 pedals?

Looking at this thread and seeing the hydraulic bit in use I thought since I'd spent the money, I should give it another go. I took it off after a while and flying warbirds, didn't think I wanted it. Trying to refit it was a bit odd so I watched Milans video again on how to fit it. I think he's using either V1 or V2s to demonstrate it but mine are V3s. Extra holes and a little different maybe but I didn't fit that triangular wedge you both have fitted. If I use that piece, the hydraulic bit isn't level.

I get that you're not MFGs secret agent, just trying to compare how we've put them together. Since seeing this pic, and spotting my otherwise tucked away 109 pedals, the OC indoors keeps winding me up to refit those as "They look better". I have the combat pedal things on as I couldn't bring myself to fly the Spit while riding 109 jobbies, nice as they are. Treasonable offence, surely. I'll be looking for Supermarine style pedals but then it starts all the brake pedal arguments.

I've got spare parts here and I'm curious.

Hmm... not sure! Do you know how I can tell?

Let me know if there are extra pictures I can send if it will help you.

Mine have V3 stamped into one of the plates.

Also, beside the central screw on the plate (pilot side) there’s another hole. I’ve fitted my hydraulics to that.  I’ll grab a pic myself later and try to make it clearer. Whenever you have the time you could post a pic showing how your hydraulics are fitted. Cheers 🙂 

6 hours ago, Slippa said:

Mine have V3 stamped into one of the plates.

Also, beside the central screw on the plate (pilot side) there’s another hole. I’ve fitted my hydraulics to that.  I’ll grab a pic myself later and try to make it clearer. Whenever you have the time you could post a pic showing how your hydraulics are fitted. Cheers 🙂 

Here are some pictures - hopefully this is what you need.

IMG_20230530_124347106_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230530_124339627_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230530_124331529_HDR.jpg

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1

Aha, Cheers.

This morning I checked the MFG site and sussed out where I was being thrown. They're different. The V3s have the extra fixings for the hydraulic pump. There are different ways to fit it, not sure it matters too much. Last week I'd put it on quickly without looking at anything but the alan key and bodged it. I didn't have it on there for long but long enough to damage it while testing it. I'm an idiot to myself, no real harm done to anything just a bit scuffed.

I think I'll be ok how I've got it. Looks similar enough to yours and others and it's clear of scuffing anything.

Cheers for posting those pics, helps put my mind at rest. Trouble with taking these shots is we have to get the hoover and dusters out afterwards. I took these earlier and spotted all kinds of fluff where it shouldn't be 🤫.

Nasty scuff in no time. I can't have had the shoulder in there. In the last pic, you can see in the bag another damper as well as that triangular plate I mentioned. I tried fitting that too last week but it wasn't right. That must be only needed to convert versions 1 and 2 to take the hydraulics.

IMG_2688-2.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

Edited by Slippa
correction
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 3:42 AM, Aviators said:

I own a "Slaw Device" pedalboard like this in photo:

RX%20Viper%20V2%20Dark%20Metallic1.jpg

The problem is one, the floor slips, how can I stop it? At the moment I put some wooden boards behind, but if I pedal on one side violently, the pedal will move the same.
How did you solve this?
What do you recommend?
I avoid fixing it on the ground, because every time I move and rest.

PS: i have a chair with brakes on the wheels.

IMG_1507.JPG.jpg

Just now, Stonkernz said:

IMG_1507.JPG.jpg

Not my idea, but the above worked for me, if the board is wide enough, can also pivot chair and put a hole for wheels in each corner which would stop any tendency for it to pivot around a single hole.

• Like 1