G2 @ 60hz query

Digitalvole

I see a few of the VR old hands are using 60hz with the G2 now. I tried it yesterday again for about 30 mins and the performance is fantastic but the weird throbbing around the edge of the screen is really odd. I had a strange headache last night that may well be unrelated (got a cold) but it made me wonder.

Did you guys just get used to it or did/do you not notice it at all? How long does it take before you don’t feel like your about to have some sort of seizure?

Im hopping it’s something I could get used to, to the point I don’t even notice it, is that possible? On the plus side it works great with the Apache, dark cockpit and spinning rotor means the odd effect isn’t visible, which is nice. The Tomcat was a nightmare. 🙂

• Like 1

Depends on the person.  Some people can get used to it, others never will.  I fall into the latter category. Pretty much an instant-headache for me... I can last about 5 minutes and then I need to shut my eyes for an hour to recuperate. 

• Like 1

MSI Z790 Carbon - i9-139000k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - (3x) WD SN850X - HP Reverb G2

Yeah, that might be me too.

I was curious if the people who are fine with it were from the get go, or if it takes time to get your sea legs as it were.

The rock solid frame rate is so good I’m going to give it another go, though I’ve got my eye on the QP as sounds like 72mhz might be the sweet spot.

Edited by Digitalvole

Small steps, you have to treat it like getting used to VR again, and stay away from 90hz while you are aclimitising 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yeah back when I was running my G2 I never could get used to the 60 Hz mode, was just too swimmified or something for me. I gave the original Quest with Link a go back when I had it and it seemed fine at 72 Hz. 60 I think is just a tad too low for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Small steps, you have to treat it like getting used to VR again, and stay away from 90hz while you are aclimitising 

That’s good to hear, if you’d said it was fine from the start I’d give up now haha. I’ll keep at it and hope I don’t start tasting colours. 😉

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Yeah back when I was running my G2 I never could get used to the 60 Hz mode, was just too swimmified or something for me. I gave the original Quest with Link a go back when I had it and it seemed fine at 72 Hz. 60 I think is just a tad too low for me.

Yup, I’ll be surprised if I can teach my brain to ignore it. But it’s worth a try as the perf boost is great. The Rift S was 80hz and worked great, I really liked that headset. I’m currently trying to persuade my wife I need a QP, so far she’s not convinced. Possibly too soon after the I tried the same trick with the 4090.

It’s deffo worse the brighter the scene. The Tomcats light cockpit plus the bright sky is very hard to stomach, whereas in the Apache I genuinely can’t tell it’s 60hz. 

Thanks chaps.

• Like 1

It took me about a month of slowly building up.. the other thing that helped me was use the sunglasses "feature" in the openxr toolkit in game, this essentially reduced some of the brightness (for me the flicker impacted me a lot with bright skies) but,you could also i guess reduce the gamma, i'm now back at "normal" for brightness... it is worth the effort but it is "work"

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

60Hz in G2? No way! Performance is great, right but flickering, a lot of flickering! It hurts my eyes. 😅

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I ran the G2 at 90Hz for like half a year, until i found out it can also be run at 60Hz. Absolutely identical to me. No flickering or any other refresh rate related issues for me, so i didn´t need any training to get used to 60Hz. Even kept the 60Hz setting for other VR games wich my system can easily run at 90fps (ACC, AMS2, HL:A, F1 22 and a few others) as i´m too lazy to change refresh rate for specific games.

• Like 1

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

just so we are clear, the sensitivity to 60hz is a very "personal" thing, some people have no issues with it, others like myself have to "train to it"... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

just so we are clear, the sensitivity to 60hz is a very "personal" thing, some people have no issues with it, others like myself have to "train to it"... 

Absolutely. Two of my friends also run the G2 and both get horrible headache pretty fast when playing at 60Hz. I´m just blessed with less sensitive eyes, i guess.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Oh I envy you guys who can tolerate it. I tried it again today, and sadly I can’t stomach it. Today was the first time I’ve ever felt like throwing up whist playing DCS in VR and it only took about 5 mins.

Thanks for the advice but I just can’t take it and frankly don’t ever want to feel like that again hehe. 🤢 

start at 5 mins (a day) add 5 mins each day ... it takes effort and consistency ... 

Am I giving in too soon? I only get a couple of chances to play a week.

Maybe I’ll give it another go, buttery smooth frame rates are great. Though puke covered laps are not so great. 😉

3 hours ago, VpR81 said:

Absolutely. Two of my friends also run the G2 and both get horrible headache pretty fast when playing at 60Hz. I´m just blessed with less sensitive eyes, i guess.

Are you sure you guys haven’t been bitten by some kind of radioactive insect? I mean of all the super powers I can see why the ability to use a G2 at 60 hz didn’t make it into the latest Marvel movie, but it’s still a pretty decent power to have.

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 1

you are essentially trying to tell your brain that something it does not like is normal... that takes time... for ages i thought i would never get there and then all of a sudden it clicked... i put the headset on for 5 mins a day for about a week or maybe two before i could take it up a notch then 5 mins or so extra a day... you might try 5 mins in the morning and 5 in the evening etc...  find what works for you!  what works for me, may not work for you, you might need to start with even less time... a minute? but play only to you point where you feel a little bit uncomfortable .. not sick ... just little steps 

but what i know throws it all out is going back to 90hz... even for just a comparison ... you lose the acclimatisation really quickly... now its fine i can go between 90 and 60 with out problems 

I denied i could get to 60 because of the headaches and nausea for YEARS.  

but i was constantly going back and forth and trying big play sessions 🤢🤮

I can see the difference on very brightly lit scenes but the flicker has zero effect on me, never has done from day 1 in WMR headsets.
Caveat, I have always used 60Hz displays, pretty much daily for the last 20+ years so that may have something to do with my acclimatisations; I've never made the jump to a higher refresh rate monitor.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:43 PM, edmuss said:

Caveat, I have always used 60Hz displays, pretty much daily for the last 20+ years so that may have something to do with my acclimatisations; I've never made the jump to a higher refresh rate monitor.

Now that you mentioned it, this is also the case for me. 

• Like 1

I switched to 60Hz VR about a year ago... never looked back.

Only time I notice any slight flicker in DCS is, when looking toward the sun lit sky.

My monitors at work are 60, as are the lights in my office. 

Home displays are 240Hz and 144.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:02 PM, Digitalvole said:

Oh I envy you guys who can tolerate it. I tried it again today, and sadly I can’t stomach it. Today was the first time I’ve ever felt like throwing up whist playing DCS in VR and it only took about 5 mins.

Thanks for the advice but I just can’t take it and frankly don’t ever want to feel like that again hehe. 🤢 

Have you tried it with the light sunglasses effect in the OpenXR Tool kit?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark