Main rotorhead is flickering/sometimes not visible

Apache 64
Go to solution Solved by Apache 64,

The main rotorhead is flickering/sometimes not visible. (since DCS 2.8.5.40170 Open Beta)

Have attached a video file of the problem.

If you pause/unpause in game (like i did in the sample video), you can find times where the rotorhead is partly missed and flickering.

Edited by Apache 64
affected version number added

additional info....

Seems only happen, if the bird has at least some light damages, as had mine after some perforations from BTR bullets.

So it should have to do with the damage model of the Apache. No probs with a fresh bird.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:46 AM, Apache 64 said:

additional info....

Seems only happen, if the bird has at least some light damages, as had mine after some perforations from BTR bullets.

So it should have to do with the damage model of the Apache. No probs with a fresh bird.

Try loading only hellfire Lima models. it still flickers even if you are not damaged. (free flight)

vor 21 Stunden schrieb AirSenpai:

Try loading only hellfire Lima models. it still flickers even if you are not damaged. (free flight)

...could not reproduce it with Limas only (on different maps) with an undamaged Apache.

Do you have track or video?

But of course the rotor head should remain visible even if the helicopter is damaged.
Unless the rotor head himself is damaged, which would probably lead to a crash.
And ... yes I know that the damage model is still in development.

17 hours ago, Apache 64 said:

...could not reproduce it with Limas only (on different maps) with an undamaged Apache.

Do you have track or video?

But of course the rotor head should remain visible even if the helicopter is damaged.
Unless the rotor head himself is damaged, which would probably lead to a crash.
And ... yes I know that the damage model is still in development.

Even there is a video tutorial from schoolio64

and he is only using kilos so the problem is intermittent. I am doing some researches and have not found the culprit yet. the blades do not bend the way they did in the past with this new update.

Am 12.6.2023 um 11:46 schrieb Lord Vader:

Hey @Apache 64

I understand the issue and I also saw the video that confirms what you are seeing.

However, I tried several instances to reproduce the issue and couldn't.

I have two requests:
- Your Options
- A track with the situation happening. 

If you can supply these, it would help. 

@Lord Vader...sorry for the late reply. Had to build a new rig because my old rig died 😞
Unfortunately I can not provide a track, but as soon as I see the bug again I will make sure to save a track.

Edited by Apache 64

On 6/12/2023 at 11:46 AM, Lord Vader said:

I have two requests:
- Your Options
- A track with the situation happening. 

If you can supply these, it would help. 

It happens for me every time when i select the tads video on the right mfd as the pilot. i made a short track that shows the issue, though it seems tracks do not record while the game is paused. the effect can be seen better when pausing the game and moving the external camera around the rotor which i did a couple of times while recording the track. This does not happen when viewing the track however.TEST ROTOR3.trk

opts.png

Short video:

Edited by Nick_17
  • Thanks 1

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I have tried to reproduce with the same settings but all looks normal for me on my machine. 

We will ask others to check also. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

movie of the issue. this is in MT-VR

https://www.mediafire.com/file/v8lrna1t3mfn4ko/hellotexture.MOV/file

hellotexture.MOV

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill 
" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690 MPG DDR4 || i9-14900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4080S|Game1300w|Win11| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2||MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Asus||

• 2 months later...

Problem still exists. I can reproduce it quite easily.
When you go to the exterior view, the rotor head is animated flawlessly.

In the pilots cockpit view (F1), select on one of the MFDs under VID to TADS.
Switch to the exterior view (F2) and you see the rotor head flickers and disappears temporarily.
If you switch VID to NoVid, in the cockpit, the error in the outside view disappears immediately and permanently until you activate VID again.

I also see the error in various online streams.

Additional info: MT ONLY ...no problem with ST version.

Edited by Apache 64
additional info.. steps to reproduce simplyfied once again

• 3 weeks later...
Am 21.6.2023 um 15:51 schrieb BIGNEWY:

I have tried to reproduce with the same settings but all looks normal for me on my machine. 

We will ask others to check also. 

thanks

I have added some simpler steps to reproduce the problem and that it is only MT.

What additional input can I provide since it is still on "need more info"?

thanks

Since your issue occurs exclusively in the MT version of DCS, this forum should be the better place. Maybe any moderator can move this thread (don't start a new thread).

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-4E, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

• ED Team

I tested again in MT today and still could not reproduce personally. I will bring it up with other team members again. 

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Solution
Am 16.10.2023 um 23:28 schrieb BIGNEWY:

I tested again in MT today and still could not reproduce personally. I will bring it up with other team members again. 

thank you

Tested it with OB 2.9 and now it is fixed. Does not happen anymore with different settings. I was hoping that 2.9 would solve the problem. And it does. 😉 

• Like 1

• ED Team
12 minutes ago, Apache 64 said:

Tested it with OB 2.9 and now it is fixed. Does not happen anymore with different settings. I was hoping that 2.9 would solve the problem. And it does. 😉 

great to hear thanks for letting me know