VR MT - OpenXR - OpenVR - SteamVR  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Which VR runtime do you like to use

• OpenXR
    • OpenVR
    • SteamVR
    • SteamVR - openVR
    • SteamVR - openXR

Not needed to force a comand line or uninstall SteamVR. OpenComposite Runtime Switcher does it for me.

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

If I uninstall Steam VR, it does not launch in VR, just in 2D. I've checked the shortcuts and looks like the double-dash was automatically added: "D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

I tried downloading the OpenComposite and switched to it, with no difference.

I have a Pico 4, connected wirelessly to the computer via Virtual Desktop Streamer. Could that be the problem? am I doomed to use Stream VR regardless?

29 minutes ago, Assamita said:

If I uninstall Steam VR, it does not launch in VR, just in 2D. I've checked the shortcuts and looks like the double-dash was automatically added: "D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

I tried downloading the OpenComposite and switched to it, with no difference.

I have a Pico 4, connected wirelessly to the computer via Virtual Desktop Streamer. Could that be the problem? am I doomed to use Stream VR regardless?

With Pico 4 you are running OpenXR through SteamVR. No need for open composite for the DCS mt version because DCS  mt is a OpenXR native title. Open composite is for OpenVR games so that you can use OpenXR on them. If you open SteamVR settings while playing DCS beta (mt) you can see and check that your OpenXR runtime is SteamVR. 

I think there’s a new VD beta out that give you the option to run OpenXR without running it through SteamVR on Pico4. There are other threads about it here on the forums. 

• Thanks 1

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went back to Win 10 and it is a fresh install, well I am looking for Open XR Tools for Mixed reality portal and it is not in the Microsoft store?? I am wondering where it went? I was also not able to update mixed reality portal itsays that is not there as well what gives here?

NVM There was an Store update that was hiding. I updated the Store and it is back. 

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• 2 months later...

Anyone know how to switch to Unity OpenXR for the Pico? Been unable to use DCS World since I switched to SteamVR a few days ago for an Index test. SteamVR lets you switch to its own OpenXR but doesn't give you any other option once you have. Oculus allows you to switch in its Home UI - but for some nuts reason, Pico doesn't. I found a nice runtime switcher, but Unity isn't on it 😞

https://github.com/WaGi-Coding/OpenXR-Runtime-Switcher

edit: yes, I am normally using the Pico with VD and have that set up for OpenXR - but DCS doesn't seem to know what to do since switching off SteamVR OpenXR and all I get is a black screen.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Anyone know how to switch to Unity OpenXR for the Pico? Been unable to use DCS World since I switched to SteamVR a few days ago for an Index test. SteamVR lets you switch to its own OpenXR but doesn't give you any other option once you have. Oculus allows you to switch in its Home UI - but for some nuts reason, Pico doesn't. I found a nice API switcher, but Unity isn't on it 😞

https://github.com/WaGi-Coding/OpenXR-Runtime-Switcher

Your signature says you use VD. You should be able to select VDXR with the runtime switcher. In fact, I believe that VD will automatically switch open xr if VDXR is selected. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

It doesn't seem to have gone that way. I haven't had this issue before - normally it's just DCS World starting in 2D as a worst case - but it is just coming up as a black screen and that's it. If I bring up the Task Manager I get the "Window out of focus" on the black screen - seems DCS "thinks" it's working fine. On one occasion (I tried multiple times) it did crash and I allowed the sending of the crash report.

I tried to start a VR game after that and that started, but didn't respond at all. I then used the switcher to change openXR to the Oculus one (still using Pico 4) and lo and behold it worked. Strange, cos it was running through SteamVR!

I have remembered I installed Barthek's terrain mod yesterday, so that may have something to do with it. I know it shouldn't, but i definitely recall reading a post about a similar black screen issue by somebody - so that's my next port of call.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
spellling

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

14 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

It doesn't seem to have gone that way. I haven't had this issue before - normally it's just DCS World starting in 2D as a worst case - but it is just coming up as a black screen and that's it. If I bring up the Task Manager I get the "Window out of focus" on the black screen - seems DCS "thinks" it's working fine. On one occasion (I tried multiple times) it did crash and I allowed the sending of the crash report.

I tried to start a VR game after that and that started, but didn't respond at all. I then used the switcher to change openXR to the Oculus one (still using Pico 4) and lo and behold it worked. Strange, cos it was running through SteamVR!

I have remembered I installed Barthek's terrain mod yesterday, so that may have something to do with it. I know it shouldn't, but i definitely recall reading a post about a similar black screen issue by somebody - so that's my next port of call.

I've had this issue with oculus before and found steam was the problem. If I delete steam I don't get the issue. This may only a solution if you don't want to use steam. The complexities of PCVR! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a BigScreen Beyond, non-WMR, device, win 11, RTX 3080,  running SteamVR/OpenXR API. System was working nicely with DCS mt, but now crashes at the mission loading point where the "Waiting" messageappears. Log shows  "2024-02-05 13:24:17.990 ERROR   VISUALIZER (Main): OpenXR failure XrResult failure [XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE]" Any ideas before I start reinstalling stuff?

Never mind. Reinstalled Steam.

Edited by Habu_69

7 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

For non-WMR VR devices is it possible/advisable to launch DCS in OpenXR  API with Open Composite instead of SteamVR?

You no longer need open composite. DCS now runs in open XR. Steam VR may be required as the runtime for your headset (e.g. Pico 4 using Pico link). If you use oculus headsets they will run open XR through oculus. Or you can use Virtual Desktop and use VDXR. No need to use steam VR anymore for most headsets. 

I've noticed that when launching the game from steam there is now a option- Launch MT preview in oculus VR mode- I've tried this option but it still seems to be using open XR. Is that what it's supposed to do? 

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

You can set (or could be already mandatory) Oculus to use OpenXR as runtime in the Oculus software under the General settings tab.

image.png

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2023 at 2:12 PM, desolunatic said:

I like to use both OpenXR and OpenVR - OpenXR for streaming thanks to the head smoothing option, OpenVR for off-stream flying with reshade.

Flying with reshade , in VR . How . ??? 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .