1. 1. Which VR runtime do you like to use

• OpenXR
    • OpenVR
    • SteamVR
    • SteamVR - openVR
    • SteamVR - openXR

• ED Team

Currently DCS VR in multithreading only uses the openXR runtime for VR

Please let us know which runtime you use and why. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Weird. I have a G2 and a 4080 and SteamVR gets me better performance. I can't even run MSFS that well due to its OpenXR requirement. In DCS and MSFS I get bad stuttery double vision with OpenXR, even down to 70% resolution. In Steam I can run it at 90%.

Any PMs that can help me would be appreciated, to keep this thread uncluttered!

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

OpenXR for me to, as with every MT update it gets better and better. G2

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

Latest DCS Open Beta and VR only

A10CII and AH64D, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Caucasus 

For those that are trying to stick with OpenVR for Reshade you can get the same effect with some tweaking using 3Dmigoto with OpenXR...then you get the best of both worlds!  Best frames and visuals!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Open XR.

Why? I can run DCS with dynamic foveated rendering/eye tracking using @mbucchia 's  wrapper for the Aero.  Please do not do anything to change this (quad view which Aero supports in Open XR). Made a big difference for me in performance allowing me to crank up graphics nicely.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The MT build actually still supports the Oculus runtime on VD on the Quest 2, to clarify.

Personally I've been using OpenXR via oculus link and having pretty solid performance, as I have been having problems on VD on the oculus runtime (nothing to do with DCS I don't think) for a few weeks.

Do have some odd issues where FPS gets wonky for a bit at random times and the view lag behinds (feels like vram/asw problems but not sure), and big fps drops while on the menu. These don't happen on the oculus runtime via VD however.

Edited by MoleUK

2 minutes ago, SgtArmyGuy said:

As a Vive Pro 2 user I'm stuck with SteamVR, since the obligatory Vive Console used to drive the VR goggles functions only through it.

I’m pretty sure you can run the Vive Pro 2 through OpenXR.  

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

2 minutes ago, Greekbull said:

I’m pretty sure you can run the Vive Pro 2 through OpenXR.  

It cannot. They specifically say it's limited to SteamVR. https://service.viveport.com/hc/en-us/articles/4423262844813-How-to-setup-correct-OpenXR-runtime

Probably because of this, I cannot run the MT version in VR properly. The result is this: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/324309-slideshow-level-stuttering-and-frametime-oscillation-in-vr-vive-pro-2-wireless-adapter/#comment-5201954

25 minutes ago, SgtArmyGuy said:

The question in the thread is highly ambiguous because SteamVR can be used through either OpenVR or OpenXR... so anyone picking SteamVR as the answer could mean either OpenVR or OpenXR...

Cc @BIGNEWY, because I feel the question is poorly asked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

OpenXR, it's natively supported by WMR and SteamVR allowing for the use of either API, it runs a lot smoother for the reverb through the WMR native interface.

Like mbucchia I think there needs to be slightly better wording on the question and or maybe an explanation as some people honestly do not understand how their VR works they just know they use SteamVR or the mixed reality portal etc.

Fairly certain though that almost all headsets now support OpenXR either natively in their own runtimes or using SteamVR.

• Like 1

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

12 minutes ago, robgraham said:

Fairly certain though that almost all headsets now support OpenXR either natively in their own runtimes or using SteamVR.

That's 100% correct yes.

• Like 1

As a Quest2 user I’ve seen improvement in performance with MT and OpenXR but OpenVR at night conditions is still better.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

• ED Team
55 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

The question in the thread is highly ambiguous because SteamVR can be used through either OpenVR or OpenXR... so anyone picking SteamVR as the answer could mean either OpenVR or OpenXR...

Cc @BIGNEWY, because I feel the question is poorly asked.

Added more options to the poll

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Oculus. I tried with openxr but it doesn’t track well or have as good performance so I forced oculus. 

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Currently DCS VR in multithreading only uses the openXR runtime for VR

Please let us know which runtime you use and why. 

Why no oculus option?  I’m on a rift S

31 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

Oculus. I tried with openxr but it doesn’t track well or have as good performance so I forced oculus. 

Why no oculus option?  I’m on a rift S

Oculus mode (OVR) is now deprecated, and even Oculus themselves don't want developers to keep using it. I would not expect anyone in 2023 to keep writing/maintaining support for Oculus mode in their app. ED is doing the right thing here.

If you have issues with OpenXR and the Oculus runtime (or perhaps Virtual Desktop), you need to report them to Oculus or to GGodin, this is the only way things can be improved. My 2c.

• Like 1