I am parking my Mosquito in the hanger.

4eyes

The Mosquito has been my most favorite DCS aircraft. The most fun to fly.  However, I am unable to fully enjoy the aircraft. I am unable to fly as a pilot and work as a navigator at the same time.  I love playing with the radios and directional finding navigating.  I heard a navigator was coming.  But when?   A short-term temporary solution would have been a "temporary auto pilot". But the way things are now, I am finding it frustratingly impossible to continue on.  What is worse is the total silence from the developers about this subject.  The Mosquito is heading to the hanger. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Should have been released with a proper AI navigator and pilot/navigator model. Imagine releasing Apache without a George AI.

I envy the rotor heads. Both the Mi-24, and shortly after the AH-64 were released in excellent state, feature rich, and with functioning AI. And it’s not like these modules are simple - they are more complicated than any WWII module, and they still get regular updates. I bet the Chinook will be released before the Mosquito gets an AI or even a Very pistol.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

While waiting for an Ai Navigator, a temporary auto pilot would have been so helpful. I had been using active pause, but in an active war zone, active pause becomes a suicide button.  I give up. Going back to my A4-E which always works. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seaside said:

Lack of a navigator is why I don't fly it now. Having an AI to navigate and spot enemy aircraft and ground units aside.

Looking over and seeing an empty seat is a buzz kill.

This is why I love Reflected’s “V for Victory” campaign so much - he brings life to your navigator, even though your navigator is still invisible and can’t actually operate anything. Reflected really squeezed out whatever the game engine could offer.

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I understand that what I am about to say doesn't fix the AI issue, but have you or do you fly online? I know of several people that fly the mosquito on the wolfpack WWII sever that would love to have a nav guy or pilot. not only does it bring that side of the bird to life but its also a real person. if you don't fly online well I guess my "solution" wouldn't be of much use. 

Here is something that needs developing ...

It really is possible to have the navigator set up and tune several different D/F stations during a mission.

I have this mission "Chateau de Boulogne sur mer" where your navigator talks to you and sets up various D/F stations for you to track on..

I can't find that mission now in the user files to acknowledge the author and thank him for the great amount of work this must have been.

It appears to have been done using a huge number of 'Cockpit perform clickable action" commands. There are numerous repeated commands, probably for  repeated keystrokes to nudge the tuning to the correct frequency.

Anyway, it really improves the mission, and I am very impressed.

This appears to be setting up the first D/F station. (edit: Yes 25 3075 is coarse tuning the receiver)

Screen_230612_162501.jpg

image.png

Edited by Terry Dactil

A much easier way of building that from the mission designer's point of view would be to have all your required frequencies on the R1155 presets and just select those as required.

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Even though I parked my Mosquito in the hanger. Well sort of. I flew around on a joy ride on the Syria Map yesterday.  I love that aircraft. While waiting for some kind of fix, I have been learning the P-47.  About Missions. There is a very large expanse of flat desert country in the Middle of Iran on the Persian Gulf Map.  Take a look at it.  Can't you see Rommel and Mcgomery fighting over it?  We need WWII desert missions and campaigns.   

8 hours ago, SUNTSAG said:

@Terry Dactil The mission you are referring to is a core DCS single mission, therefore you won't find it in the user files.  I create all the WWII mission content for DCS and watch out for an up and coming mini campaign using the same format. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have had my eye on this aircraft for maybe 6 months or so. I've trialed it twice. 

Was sure I'd be buying it this summer sale but frustratingly it still hasn't hit the 50% discount mark (I think it did once last year but I missed it). 

I know it's only $7 difference but the lack of AI (or development in general) is sufficient for me to hold out. What's going on with this warbird?

12 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

Have had my eye on this aircraft for maybe 6 months or so. I've trialed it twice. 

Was sure I'd be buying it this summer sale but frustratingly it still hasn't hit the 50% discount mark (I think it did once last year but I missed it). 

I know it's only $7 difference but the lack of AI (or development in general) is sufficient for me to hold out. What's going on with this warbird?

Crickets..........an example of a very poor business model and zero customer service. 

19 minutes ago, Hallsy said:

Fingers crossed for at least pilot models and a rudimentary alt hold when switching to the nav seat. Love the Mossie, brilliantly modelled, but does feel neglected. 

I agree. It's my most favorite aircraft to fly.  In its current state, it's my least aircraft to use. It would be nice if ED would at least give us an update. 

• Like 3

I like the Mosquito so much I'd probably pay the asking price for it but I've been watching it longer than any other module without buying it and it's development seems to have ceased.

I'm not putting money into that.

Edited by Shibbyland
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

I like the Mosquito so much I'd probably pay the asking price for it but I've been watching it longer than any other module without buying it and it's development seems to have ceased.

Yep...Eagle Dynamics is not taking care of "Business".  

• Like 2

• ED Team
On 6/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, Gunfreak said:

Should have been released with a proper AI navigator and pilot/navigator model. Imagine releasing Apache without a George AI.

You can't really compare the 2, that said AI navigator is still planned though and is important for use, but it doesn't limit the module like George might the AH-64.

The WWII team is very small and work is ongoing. We hope to have an update on development in an upcoming newsletter. Some development was stalled when the new cooling system was added to all warbirds, this was important to the Mossie as well and is still being tuned in some instances. It was no small task and adds a degree of realism to our water-cooled warbirds that was desperately needed. 

5 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

Early Access can be frustrating for sure, I understand if you want to wait, and honestly for many people its better to wait. We still have a lot of cool stuff planned for the Mossie and work continues. 

• Like 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

4 hours ago, NineLine said:

You can't really compare the 2, that said AI navigator is still planned though and is important for use, but it doesn't limit the module like George might the AH-64.

The WWII team is very small and work is ongoing. We hope to have an update on development in an upcoming newsletter. Some development was stalled when the new cooling system was added to all warbirds, this was important to the Mossie as well and is still being tuned in some instances. It was no small task and adds a degree of realism to our water-cooled warbirds that was desperately needed. 

Early Access can be frustrating for sure, I understand if you want to wait, and honestly for many people its better to wait. We still have a lot of cool stuff planned for the Mossie and work continues. 

I'm very happy to hear that thr mossie is still getting developed. 

But that's the catch-22 isn't it. Ww2 team is very small, stopping proper development of dcs ww2. Meaning dcs ww2 won't be as popular as it could be, meaning it won't be financially lucrative enough to expand the ww2 team, and around and around it goes. But it's up to ED, if they think a very small ww2 team is good enough. Then we'll just have to wait and see if that holds up. I'm curious how a very small team can do the "big plans" for Pacific that I got as a reply a year or so ago. When asking about it.

But this is off topic,  so I'll stop I guess. 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Cheers Nineline, I've bought most the modules, and often during early access. With the Mosquito, it's just quite pricey and as I said above, that's not a barrier to getting it but its been nearly 2 years and that inability to have your pilot hold level flight for you while you tune direction finding and radios is a real killer.

If you're able to comment, how come it went on 50% sale last year but all the sales this year, it's stayed at that 30% mark?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shibbyland said:

Cheers Nineline, I've bought most the modules, and often during early access. With the Mosquito, it's just quite pricey and as I said above, that's not a barrier to getting it but its been nearly 2 years and that inability to have your pilot hold level flight for you while you tune direction finding and radios is a real killer.

If you're able to comment, how come it went on 50% sale last year but all the sales this year, it's stayed at that 30% mark?

A "temporary auto pilot" should have been provided.  I have started another thread trying to find a work around for the navigator radio limitations.  I know very little about computers and nothing about programming. I am hoping and asking on the thread for help, advice and any possible work around. There must be some work around.  See: 

@Terry Dactil I tried to do the same in V for Victory, but found that repeating the 'nudge' command of the dial knob say 37 times is not very exact, sometimes it landed me on the desired freq, sometimes it didn't. So I figured it's best if the player tunes it by ear.

Also, playing the devil's advocate, what exactly should the AI navigator do, when the game doesn't know where you want to fly?

I mean there could be the 'Jester menu' where you could select the waypoint you want him to navigate to, but that would once again require the player's input.

What would definitely be a great interim solution is a level autopilot option so that we can easily fiddle with the radio (love fiddling with it) without crashing.

• Like 1

• ED Team
1 hour ago, 4eyes said:

A "temporary auto pilot" should have been provided.  I have started another thread trying to find a work around for the navigator radio limitations.  I know very little about computers and nothing about programming. I am hoping and asking on the thread for help, advice and any possible work around. There must be some work around.  See: 

Sometimes temp solutions are more work than they are worth. I get the idea though. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

4 hours ago, Reflected said:

@Terry Dactil I tried to do the same in V for Victory, but found that repeating the 'nudge' command of the dial knob say 37 times is not very exact, sometimes it landed me on the desired freq, sometimes it didn't. So I figured it's best if the player tunes it by ear.

Also, playing the devil's advocate, what exactly should the AI navigator do, when the game doesn't know where you want to fly?

I mean there could be the 'Jester menu' where you could select the waypoint you want him to navigate to, but that would once again require the player's input.

What would definitely be a great interim solution is a level autopilot option so that we can easily fiddle with the radio (love fiddling with it) without crashing.

I'll freely admit I don't know what exact jobs a Mosquito navigator did but I could probably find out. I do know a reasonable amount about multi-crew aircraft operation however. 

Just my opinion but I would think the following would be reasonable tasks that a pilot could ask a navigator to do (perhaps through a 'George' or 'Jester' style interface in this case):

-Tune a particular frequency

-Select a particular track

-Manipulate the armament panel

-Feather an engine (Some of the Mosquitos controls are better suited to input from the crewmember not actually handling the aircraft, but again I don't know what was done real world with this aircraft).

-Spot threats or targets

When it comes to this module, I could live without all of those things. But what I really need the module to have to push me from sitting on the fence to actually buying it is either a reduction in price or the ability for an AI pilot to orbit in level flight, or continue straight in level flight. If an AI pilot could manage that, then I'd find operating the aircraft single player much more enjoyable than I did when I trialed the aircraft.

• Like 1