Important buildings are missing for nav, sometimes incorrectly used building type, quality lower in compare with UGRA

Magot

Hi,

We got a little used to the very high quality of the maps from Ugra in terms of the accuracy of the location of important buildings, which are important in the flight simulator for visual navigation as navigation points.
But also for the beauty and uniqueness of each map.
Unfortunately, OnReTech failed on this point. He made a very nice map, but very generic and quite inaccurate.
For example, a small town in Israel in the Negev, Mitze Ramon, has the buildings of a big city, yet it is a small provincial town with a development of small houses. So the design of the small town in the desert is inaccurate in terms of the use of buildings.
And that's unfortunately the case with almost the entire map.

Syria - Haifa (Ugra).jpg

Sinai - Haifa (OnReTech).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yes, great and nice but wrong, looks like a different country

in the canyon, the IAF air force tests low flights, here the canyon is less often missing or vaguely created

Mitzpe Sinai.jpg

Mitzpe 2.jpg

Mitzpe 1.jpg

Jerusalem in Sinai map is defacto a completely different city, which no one knows.
But OnReTech did not use one generic will for the old town there, not counting the absence of practically all monuments.
I don't see a problem with using generic buildings, but the correct buildings need to be used.
Ugra has shown that it is possible.

Edited by Magot
  • Like 5

Yeah, got that too. Doing some sightseeing in southern Israel yesterday as a first look at the new map I couldn't recognize Jerusalem at all. I had to double check the F10 map to verify that the settlements beneath me are indeed meant to represent the temple mount and a divided city. Gaza was recognizable though.

Dont get me wrong, Cairo looks great, but there are more landmarks in this region than 8 big pyramids.

• Like 3

Modules: A-10CII | F-5E | UH-1H | Mi-24P | M-2000C | SA342 | F-14B | F-86F | AH-64D | Ka-50-3 | F-16C | A-4E-C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | P-47D | P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | CA | SC
Maps: Nevada | Syria | Persian Gulf | South Atlantic | Sinai | Normandy | Channel
Setup: Ryzen9 5950X | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 4090 | 2TB M.2 NVMe | TM Warthog & TFRP Rudder | Reverb G2 | OpenXR/TK | Win10
Affiliation: [TM]Tigermercs

Agreed - Jerusalem is missing at least the Temple Mount (well, it's seemingly a shipping center with trucks being loaded) and the old City Walls are MIA. Massada is missing completely as are other sights I was hoping for (not to mention the fact that ED's map tech currently prevents a realistic depiction of the dead sea, no elevation below 0 can be anything but water, so this is not OnReTech's fault).

Since this is the initial release, and having seen ORT's quick and positive responses to our comments, I'm inclined to believe that ORT will continue to evolve and improve the map, and our feedback may help to make this great map even greater 🙂 

• Like 4

I dont think so. There are more politically and/or military disputed areas modelled in dcs maps.

I can understand that you check the map against feedback of the community before you add details and subsequently performance requirements.

But to ignore the fortress of Masada is something completely different. Its not a set of unique buildings but a very characteristically shaped mountain plateau at the west coast of the dead sea. In the air, it should be recognizable without a second glance. It cant be that expensive in performance terms to model a mountain top like a big rhombus and place it at the correct spot.

• Like 3

Modules: A-10CII | F-5E | UH-1H | Mi-24P | M-2000C | SA342 | F-14B | F-86F | AH-64D | Ka-50-3 | F-16C | A-4E-C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | P-47D | P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | CA | SC
Maps: Nevada | Syria | Persian Gulf | South Atlantic | Sinai | Normandy | Channel
Setup: Ryzen9 5950X | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 4090 | 2TB M.2 NVMe | TM Warthog & TFRP Rudder | Reverb G2 | OpenXR/TK | Win10

21 minutes ago, Thamiel said:

I dont think so. There are more politically and/or military disputed areas modelled in dcs maps.

True. But Jerusalem is the center of the three big mono theistic religions. Arguably the most delicate POI imaginable.

I wouldn’t mind, I‘m atheistic af, but it would make sense to me to at least consider it.

Don‘t know.

• Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I know what you mean - dont encourage people to flood the net with videos how to bomb the sacred places of the big 3 while cultural background music provokes strict intentions how those images should be interpreted.

In the end, its a war game. Things are going boom. I applaud ORT for their courage to add this specific region to the dcs portfolio but in doing so, I would suspect that they did answer the beforementioned questions in the first place, at least for themselves. Otherwise, its just "we want to, but we dont dare to." 

In any event, I think the map looks very promising and a solid debut to DCS. I have seen roll-outs with far less substance.

Edited by Thamiel
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Magot said:

Hi,

We got a little used to the very high quality of the maps from Ugra in terms of the accuracy of the location of important buildings, which are important in the flight simulator for visual navigation as navigation points.
But also for the beauty and uniqueness of each map.
Unfortunately, OnReTech failed on this point. He made a very nice map, but very generic and quite inaccurate.
For example, a small town in Israel in the Negev, Mitze Ramon, has the buildings of a big city, yet it is a small provincial town with a development of small houses. So the design of the small town in the desert is inaccurate in terms of the use of buildings.
And that's unfortunately the case with almost the entire map.

Syria - Haifa (Ugra).jpg

Sinai - Haifa (OnReTech).jpg

Yes, I absolutely agree. Initially, we did not plan to make Haifa and northern Israel in high detail. And they did not plan to make the Ramat David airport.

But we read the reviews and there is already a plan on how to improve Israel and what needs to be added there.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, OnReTech said:

Yes, I absolutely agree. Initially, we did not plan to make Haifa and northern Israel in high detail. And they did not plan to make the Ramat David airport.

But we read the reviews and there is already a plan on how to improve Israel and what needs to be added there.

Thanks for the feedback!

First off, congrats on your Sinai map launch!

I haven't explored very extensively just yet, but I noticed quite an obvious line where Sinai map stops in detail (Haifa being pretty much an exception) and where Syria map begins.

Are there any (perhaps far away) thoughts on how to somehow combine Sinai with the Syria map? Or is this absolutely impossible now and in the future for technical reasons (other than just lack of currently available hardware performance)? I mean, has this subject even been discussed with either Ugra and/or ED?

It looks as if you purposely stopped where Ugra Syria begins in order to at some point merge both maps. (which makes perfect sense to me btw. It would be kinda bonkers to re-design/develop all those parts of Israel and Syria that Ugra already created).

• Like 4

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I'm impressed so far in the sightseeing flight I did yesterday in Israel. Great performance (90-130 FPS in MT) and good RAM utilization at around 27 GB. For comparison, Syria pushes my RAM utilization into the low 40's.

I'm glad to see that Israel will get developed further. I have limited knowledge of the region but when I saw Jerusalem on the map and flew over, I looked for the Dome of the Rock which is a very prominent landmark, and didn't see it. Hopefully gets added later as well 🙂

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

6 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I haven't explored very extensively just yet, but I noticed quite an obvious line where Sinai map stops in detail (Haifa being pretty much an exception) and where Syria map begins.

Are there any (perhaps far away) thoughts on how to somehow combine Sinai with the Syria map? Or is this absolutely impossible now and in the future for technical reasons (other than just lack of currently available hardware performance)? I mean, has this subject even been discussed with either Ugra and/or ED?

It looks as if you purposely stopped where Ugra Syria begins in order to at some point merge both maps. (which makes perfect sense to me btw. It would be kinda bonkers to re-design/develop all those parts of Israel and Syria that Ugra already created).

I know the technical part very well, in theory it is possible with some refinement of the TDC. I have never raised this issue with either Ugra or ED.

There are a lot of similar comments, so I think that we will return to this issue. Thank you

4 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

I'm impressed so far in the sightseeing flight I did yesterday in Israel. Great performance (90-130 FPS in MT) and good RAM utilization at around 27 GB. For comparison, Syria pushes my RAM utilization into the low 40's.

I'm glad to see that Israel will get developed further. I have limited knowledge of the region but when I saw Jerusalem on the map and flew over, I looked for the Dome of the Rock which is a very prominent landmark, and didn't see it. Hopefully gets added later as well 🙂

There is still a lot of work in Jerusalem, I agree that this is not even Jerusalem. But plans change and we decided to finalize it in the future. Thank you

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, OnReTech said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds good! Don't forget Masada fortress, as the guys above mentioned. Thanks much 🙂

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Magot said:

yes, great and nice but wrong, looks like a different country

in the canyon, the IAF air force tests low flights, here the canyon is less often missing or vaguely created

Mitzpe Sinai.jpg

Mitzpe 2.jpg

Mitzpe 1.jpg

Jerusalem in Sinai map is defacto a completely different city, which no one knows.
But OnReTech did not use one generic will for the old town there, not counting the absence of practically all monuments.
I don't see a problem with using generic buildings, but the correct buildings need to be used.
Ugra has shown that it is possible.

Off topic, sorry. Would you mind posting coordinates or a map of this valley please?

• Like 3

On 6/9/2023 at 11:48 AM, OnReTech said:
On 6/9/2023 at 11:41 AM, sirrah said:

I know the technical part very well, in theory it is possible with some refinement of the TDC. I have never raised this issue with either Ugra or ED.

There are a lot of similar comments, so I think that we will return to this issue. Thank you

This would be an outstanding idea if both of these maps could be combined some how. I think it would be worthy of a conversation between the parties involved.

Edited by Outlaw24
  • Like 2

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

6 hours ago, cfrag said:

Agreed - Jerusalem is missing at least the Temple Mount (well, it's seemingly a shipping center with trucks being loaded) and the old City Walls are MIA. Massada is missing completely as are other sights I was hoping for (not to mention the fact that ED's map tech currently prevents a realistic depiction of the dead sea, no elevation below 0 can be anything but water, so this is not OnReTech's fault).

Since this is the initial release, and having seen ORT's quick and positive responses to our comments, I'm inclined to believe that ORT will continue to evolve and improve the map, and our feedback may help to make this great map even greater 🙂 

This was a major disappointment to me. It is my sincere hope that the old city of Jerusalem and the temple mount will be added in short order. Kind of a shame in my opinion; releasing this map without taking care of Jerusalem properly.

2 hours ago, OnReTech said:

There is still a lot of work in Jerusalem, I agree that this is not even Jerusalem. But plans change and we decided to finalize it in the future. Thank you

Any chance we can get an approximate time frame on that?

• Like 1

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord[/center]

5 minutes ago, BombSquad2336 said:

This was a major disappointment to me. It is my sincere hope that the old city of Jerusalem and the temple mount will be added in short order. Kind of a shame in my opinion; releasing this map without taking care of Jerusalem properly.

Any chance we can get an approximate time frame on that?

next week I will post a roadmap of improvements as I am currently gathering feedback and the list is constantly growing. Do not forget that this is EA and there is still time before the release.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Just now, OnReTech said:

next week I will post a roadmap of improvements as I am currently gathering feedback and the list is constantly growing. Do not forget that this is EA and there is still time before the release.

Thank you for the response. I will look forward to the roadmap.

• Like 2

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord[/center]

Dont take it personally. The community is primed by ED and 3rd party developers towards patches, fixes and add-ons coming in years instead of months, if at all. Asking for a time frame is merely a feeble attempt to give you the chance to be different for a change. We know this is EA and the map is out for one day. Have a nice weekend. Good effort so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First off, congratulations to OnReTech on the launch. I have been waiting for this for a long while.

It is clear that it is still truly "early access", but it looks very good. I expect it will only get better. Great work, guys, and please keep it up!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OnReTech said:

next week I will post a roadmap of improvements as I am currently gathering feedback

That would be most welcome. A word of caution, though: by doing so you will 

a) be worshipped like a god in these forums and

b) put ED and most of their partners in a very uncomfortable place 

I'm really looking forward to that roadmap - IMHO, it's one of these things that helps me to tell the pros from the tyros.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2