VR FPS

Cann0nF0dd3r

Not sure if this should go here or in bugs, I don't really think it's a bug. Is anybody else having a MASSIVE FPS hit in VR with the F-15E? I launched into the Nevada cold and dark quick start and my average FPS in the F-15E is ~20fps. Just to test I went into the mission editor and changed to the F-14, everything else was the same and the FPS was pegged at 60fps in VR. For reference my system is:

Quest 2

Ryzen 5 5600x at 4.2ghz

32gb 3000 ram

EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming

Windows 11 Pro

It's not exactly a beast of a PC but it does really well. Any other aircraft I run, almost no matter the mission I get anywhere from 40fps on the low end to 60fps in VR. For some reason the F-15E and the AH-64 the FPS in VR just tanks hard. I should note this is standalone DCS, not the Steam edition. 

I don't have the F15E (yet), but it could be VRAM overloaded. Try turning Texture Resolution down a peg in settings just as a test. My AH-64 went from unplayable on certain scenarios (with 3080) to perfectly fine with reduced texture resolution in VR. This was only in certain scenarios mind you but it did make a huge difference.

I ended up with a 4090 so there is no VRAM issues any more and I could turn Texture Res back up to max.

Edited by BazzaLB

Yes its not really usable at this instant.

Im getting about 20fps most of the time with a 3090 and 13900k and 64gb of ram.

Are we sure this isnt a multithread issue? I haven't had time to check if something like the f14 is still performing like it should in VR.

As for me, there is no problem, I was in the Caucasus and Nevada yesterday, I flew and tested for 1 hour, no any FPS drops, it works no worse than other modules. I can't turn on the A2G radar and camera image yet, it may lower FPS but so far everything is great without any frame issues :thumbup:.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

...had issues with dropping fps (less than 20 even), even in training missions, realized that I didn't update my nvidia drivers (latest now is 536.23), I'm on RTX 3080 and 32gb ddr4 still on windows 10; after driver update and textures to medium (all the rest is basically maxed out including shadows), I'm getting butter smooth 70fps in VR; I had also changed the background process from 4 to 6 in the special tab of the F15E

this jet is amazing, will take a while to get used to using it effectively!

thanks Razbam!

Edited by veggy432
  • Like 1

intel i7-12700 / Windows 10 PRO / MSI Z690 / 32GB DDR4-3600 at CL16 / Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB / Kingston M2. SSD 2TB NVme.

-VR ONLY- with Oculus Quest 2 / wireless airlink / WinWing Hotas F18

- real world pilot -

Some plane cockpits use a lot more resources.  F-14 is way heavier than F/A-18.  I'd assume this would be closer if not more than the F-14 as there are two cockpits being modeled from a programming perspective.

52 minutes ago, PD919 said:

Some plane cockpits use a lot more resources.  F-14 is way heavier than F/A-18.  I'd assume this would be closer if not more than the F-14 as there are two cockpits being modeled from a programming perspective.

That's why I tested with the F-14, both A and B are significantly better in terms of FPS for me compared to the F-15E with textures set to high,  its literally a 40+fps difference. 

47 minutes ago, DaleRFU said:

I get a constant 30fps in VR with a 2070. Granted my setting are toned down. I did notice that if I have the mirrors enabled they I get a huge drop, even when not using VR. 

Mirrors oddly enough don't effect it that much for me, maybe 2 or 3 fps. I usually leave them off anyways because IMO they're not that useful. 

On 6/22/2023 at 7:48 PM, Cann0nF0dd3r said:

Not sure if this should go here or in bugs, I don't really think it's a bug. Is anybody else having a MASSIVE FPS hit in VR with the F-15E? I launched into the Nevada cold and dark quick start and my average FPS in the F-15E is ~20fps. Just to test I went into the mission editor and changed to the F-14, everything else was the same and the FPS was pegged at 60fps in VR. For reference my system is:

yes, mine went bad... but I am usually on a server... when I fly... so am not sure why, especially since I often start at good fps and it goes bad soon after... my good fps can be 30 to 40 fps, when it goes bad less than 10 fps...

video Nvidia 2080-ti, 4.2 ghz cpu, 32 gb ram. Oculus VR. SSD drives.

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

VR is running just fine for me.  Some issues on the Sinai map as expected in highly populated building areas, but I am running everything on high as well.  Flew the Syria map last night and was flawless.  The video below was online with my buddy over the Sinai using the PIMAX.  Great time! 

• Like 1

Not a prob on my jet as I'm locked to 45 fps in Varjo Base and did as well with the G2 and OXRTK +Turbo mode. I've learn from some of the best VR tweakers that if you can't beat refresh rate lock her down to 45-55 fps or run to G2 at 60hz. I'm a firm believer that its not about the fps #'s it's more about finding that smooth sweet spot between clarity and performance/smoothness. It's a feeling thing for me. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ramstein said:

I was getting 80 fps in the F-18, in the F-15E it was terrible about 08-20

Yea the Mudhen and the Apache are very FPS heavy in VR for some reason. Try dropping your textures to medium, made a huge difference for me in these modules. 

• Like 1

I'll post this in case it helps somebody. I have strangely poor and choppy VR FPS only in the F-15e around 20 compared to all other modules @ around 80 fps. This seems to be the case on all other maps but Caucasus which seems normal. After playing around I found that enabling or disabling the "Full Screen" DCS options setting thus forcing a restart of DCS when hitting ok will fix the issue for me in that newly started session. After this "options-restart" the F-15 has similar FPS figures as the F-14 and the apache. If you quit and restart DCS the issue returns until I redo the "settings restart".

The issue can clearly be seen on the frame times. Image 1 normal start launching F-15e mission Cyprus invasion, Image 2 after the settings change restart launching same mission. No other modules seem to behave like this. Go figure...

1.png

2.png

System specs: 13900k / 4090 / 64GB

Edited by mg_78
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't describe with better words what I experience since the last update with the F15 E. I tried many things but didn't think of the "Full srceen" option, good catch! and thank you. I will try this solution tomorrow.

The "Full screen" option is not the specific cause of the problem because you literally toggle the value each time to get the "option restart".

Any option change that generate a forced restart does the trick. Changing the relevant value in the options.lua before starting DCS does nothing, a hard "Options restart" is the only way to go.

A correction to this problem would be very welcome in the upcoming hotfix 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is definitely a discrepancy between the F15E and other fast jets. Just tried a quick takeoff from Akrotiri, Syria map in the AV8 Harrier, and maintained a solid 45FPS no CPU bound judders same for the F16 and F18. I Fly exactly the same mission in the F15E and its arguably unplayable. Yet I can fly the F15E on the Caucasus and PG maps with a solid 45fps and no stutters and very smooth and that includes the areas of dense forests or buildings. I run MT DCS in VR with no mods.

Not a criticism I know its very early days for the Eagle, and I love it, im a big fan of Razbams work. But I would like them to look into this.

I would also like to point out that the South Atlantic map is not running well in VR at low altitudes even after the latest update. That's the same with all modules I fly.   

• Like 2

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV