MT freezes even in main menu

Thank you. Your process list is rather clean: no bloatware in sight. The only non-Windows process that I see, apart from DCS.exe, are:

• AdobeUpdateService.exe
  • GoogleCrashHandler.exe
  • GoogleCrashHandler64.exe
  • TrackIR5.exe
  • jhi_service.exe (Intel Dynamic Application Loader)
  • FaceLift_x64.exe (Xear Audio Center)

I'm pretty sure the first four apps in this short list are not causing your issue.

Please stop the 3 others before running DCS and see if that changes anything.

1. Close the Track IR app.
  2. In Services, disable "Intel(R) Dynamic Applicaton Loader Host Interface Service".
  3. Disable or, if not possible, uninstall "Xear Audio Center".
  4. See if DCS gets any better.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Let's hope ED tech support guys can find the solution to your problem. Please open a support ticket: log into DCS website, click "Support", then click "Create a new ticket".

@Flappie I'm sure it's related to last OB patch, because i spend hundreds of hours in DCS, and before last OB i flying on MT build offline, and online without any problems. Also i propose change name of this topic to "After the update, the screen often freezes" and move it to Multi-Threading Bug Reports, maybye more people come, and maybye someone with cool ideas how to get rid of this.

• Like 1

:pilotfly:

list.txt Here is my process list BUT honestly what does that have to do with this problem. I didn't change anything in my PC, I didn't install anything. DCS patch only. Ok before, not ok after the patch. Reason is clear I suppose ;).

Yes. For me its only in MT version. Today, I started MT a few times and always the problem was there (Today). I took ST, here's ok, I took MT again, here again not ok. For me it looks a little different, just as if the loading process also goes to the menu and there are very long freezes. Like 1 frame but per minute. All I can do is move the mouse coursor over the DCS menu. This is not in the ST version. Prior to this patch, I never had this behavior of DCS in the MT version.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 minute ago, YoYo said:

Reason is clear I suppose 😉

Not for me, it's not, since I cannot reproduce the issue at this stage. I acknowledge  that something changed in DCS in the latest update for several users, but we dont know what. I'm looking for the thing you all have in common. We need a lead. If it's only affecting MT, maybe it has to do with the CPU you're all using?

Can you please all attach your dxdiag log?

• Like 1

I was this problem in MT as well today. When joining Levant, dcs crashed in the role select screen the first two tries. On the third attempt I removed the way which I had just installed and I got past the role select. I had some major stuttering at times and the f10 map was doing the same thing zooming and scrolling. 

• Thanks 1

You all seem to have Intel CPUs. Can you disable HyperThreading and see how it impacts DCS?

(I'm not trying to disculpate DCS by the way - at this point, we all know something changed in the latest OB, but we need to know what exactly)

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 3

I have the same issues since last update.  Game is running but VR headset is black for quite a while, then kind of studders to life eventually.  If I go to F10 map the whole game stops dead and if I'm running standalone server, it seems to hang that too... or my client disconnects and then tries to recover making everything in the mission haywire.  Going to the F10 map seems to be the sure way to make the problem appear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

You all seem to have Intel CPUs. Can you disable HyperThreading and see how it impacts DCS?

Yes, I have it on but I had it turned off at the beginning when the MT version came out and DCS MT takes longer to load, so with the current loading bug I'm scared 🤣, but ok I'll try. If there is a problem, I will turn off HT and poltam for a few days, I will see if this effect appears in the menu. As I said, unfortunately, it's a pretty random thing. Now, for example, I flew and everything was ok.

1 minute ago, Flappie said:

One more thing to try: what happens if you disable "Hotplug device" in DCS Controls options?

autoexec.cfg Yes its present Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config. Also is turned off in my settings in DCS (now it present).

• Thanks 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

7 hours ago, Flappie said:

@crazyave What is your CPU model?

So far, I only see i7 12700 or i9 13900 CPUs here. A fellow tester has the same issue, and he's got a i7 12700. That's a pattern.

Yup, I'm on 13900k.

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

As I said, unfortunately, it's a pretty random thing. Now, for example, I flew and everything was ok.

I also find it random, but pretty prevalent.  It took me about 6-7 tries of starting DCS to get it to work.  A couple of times I literally had to unplug my computer to get it to restart.  ctrl-alt-del didn't even respond.  When I was able to open task manager once I just saw one core pegged at 100% and all other cores locked at 0%.

• Like 1

Okay, I didn't have to wait long, it happened again, strange stuttering in the menu. Ok, I turned off HT now and the first run was is ok, but I have to test for 1-2 days to give more information.

Btw. I did screenshot (with HT=on) when the stutter was present, One fully occupied P-core, the rest are sleeping.

image.jpeg

Edited by YoYo
  • Thanks 3

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

22 hours ago, Flappie said:

@MoleUK You said in another thread that you experience random freeze in menus as well. What is your CPU model?

5800X3D. When a server is busy, bringing up the role select can freeze things up, as does scrolling through it. Both new with this last patch. Main menu screen takes quite a while to settle down on initial load, bringing up options causes a bit of a chunky stop. F10 fine for me personally. The role select is really bad though.

Hotplug is disabled.

It's much much much worse in OpenXR I found, not sure if it's OpenXR specific or not. Currently the only way you can avoid OpenXR is on the Q2 or Pico 4 via virtual desktop afaik. At least on MT.

I'll try the ST build later and see if it happens there too.

Edited by MoleUK

On 7/1/2023 at 1:47 PM, Flappie said:

@MoleUK You said in another thread that you experience random freeze in menus as well. What is your CPU model?

Just tried quickly hopping on ST, both on oculus and openXR runtimes. No stutters or freezes present on either on role select, so it's a MT specific problem not OpenXR looks like. Main menu also not getting the strange wobblying on initial loadup on ST.

The loadin when hopping in different modules etc all loading quicker, everything now seems to be running a lot smoother on ST than MT as of this last patch.

VD definitely suffers either a lot less or not at all from this lag though, so it might be an interplay between MT and OpenXR still.

Edited by MoleUK
  • Thanks 1

• BIGNEWY changed the title to MT freezes even in main menu

@Flappie Yesterday I flew near all day 😉 (HT=off), I started DCS MT many times and the only problem was ... long loading time. Thats all.  I'll keep looking later today too, but I think this issue is actually related to some changes in thread handling after the last patch and is related to Hyper-threading. Something is choking. Before patch 363 it was ok for me. I'll leave HT=off for now, although I prefer to have it turned on, not only do I use DCS, and there are programs that make good use of HT=on for me, the advantages of HT are known. Thx.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif