TPOD troubles

Swordsman422

Hey guys,

I've been trying to learn the use of the TPOD and LGBs, and am having a rather frustrating time. I have watched both the Grim Reapers and Spudknocker tutorial videos multiple times and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I am in A/G Master Mode, my PACS for the GBUs are set, master arm is on, laser is armed, weapons selected.

When I use TDC press to designate a target, the target cursor goes off PTRK/ATRK and into snowplow so that I have to move the cursor back over the target and use auto acquisition press to box PTRK/ATRK again. I get the bomb azimuth line, but it is off center and does not line up with the target. I never get TREL and TTGT is always 00:00.

Any hints?

Thanks.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

1 hour ago, Swordsman422 said:

Hey guys,

I've been trying to learn the use of the TPOD and LGBs, and am having a rather frustrating time. I have watched both the Grim Reapers and Spudknocker tutorial videos multiple times and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I am in A/G Master Mode, my PACS for the GBUs are set, master arm is on, laser is armed, weapons selected.

When I use TDC press to designate a target, the target cursor goes off PTRK/ATRK and into snowplow so that I have to move the cursor back over the target and use auto acquisition press to box PTRK/ATRK again. I get the bomb azimuth line, but it is off center and does not line up with the target. I never get TREL and TTGT is always 00:00.

Any hints?

Thanks.

You adjusting your TDC mode to TGT from things like CUE or MARK etc?

1 hour ago, JB3DG said:

You adjusting your TDC mode to TGT from things like CUE or MARK etc?

Yes. I never move it off of TGT. I do have CDES boxed as well. 

I don't know if this is relevant, and it shouldn't be, but I am targeting static ground vehicles instead of live ones. This is a ground attack training range custom mission that I have made.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

On 6/23/2023 at 7:18 PM, Swordsman422 said:

Yes. I never move it off of TGT. I do have CDES boxed as well. 

I don't know if this is relevant, and it shouldn't be, but I am targeting static ground vehicles instead of live ones. This is a ground attack training range custom mission that I have made.

I wasn’t able to get it to designate on oil platforms last night or the handy wind but it was working fine on “live” armored targets. 

I've had the same issue, TDC PRESS designated the target, I've also got a DESIGNATE message displaying, but the ASL (azimuth line) was off on a side and no TREL counter or such.
My issues were apparently related to the alignment (I didn't completed the alignment from cold start) and also about the TDC PRESS button set to the slew sensor on the Warthog (the little "ball" on the throttle to be pressed), by pressing that thing the TDC moved around and despite the fact that a DESIGNATE message appeared the target wasn't assigned at all.

So i made sure to complete the alignment, and also moved the TDC PRESS button to a dedicate button (so it won't slew the TPOD aiming while being pressed) and finally it worked.

Now this is working for the pilot, but I can't have the WSO to designate a target for me. The whole thing however appear to be a "little" bugged overall.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so since I have the same issue with the ASL line completely off to the side when trying to drop bombs in auto mode (no matter if gbu's with tpod or mk82's), is this related to missing INS aligning? Because I always do warm start from runway and assumed, that INS aligning is already automatically done when doing warm start. The strange thing is, that the ASL line is not always off, sometimes it works fine for 2 or 3 bombing runs and then suddenly gets off-centered during mission. 

Edited by DST

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

Thanks but designate again per "press TDC" never worked for me. Have to try delete designation with boat switch tho, maybe that's a workaround. But it seems that designation itself is ok, box is right over target, only azimuth line is off.

3 hours ago, DST said:

Thanks but designate again per "press TDC" never worked for me. Have to try delete designation with boat switch tho, maybe that's a workaround. But it seems that designation itself is ok, box is right over target, only azimuth line is off.

'Box' in the HUD?  IIRC the designated point in the HUD is a small diamond, the TPOD FOV is the 4-corner box, right?

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

'Box' in the HUD?  IIRC the designated point in the HUD is a small diamond, the TPOD FOV is the 4-corner box, right?

YesI I mean the designation diamond. The ASL is always more or less a bit beside it, but when it's close it usually works, but not when too far away.

I am having a lot of weirdness with the t-pod and designations as well.  I am having the same issue as above with the bomb drop line being way off target, and also with designations being just plain wacky.  It took me about 10 passes last night to get 4 LGB's off.  

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

On 9/24/2023 at 10:25 AM, NahkaSukka said:

I tried to drop a GBU-12 as a WSO, and trigger never designated the target no matter how hard i tried. Is there a bug or am i doing something wrong?

1) Did you have command of the sensor

2) Were you set to TGT on PB7?

3) Is the correct full action bound?