Question to the speed brake

Atari800XL

Hi everyone,

Is it in the real F-15E so, that I have no lights or other feedback in the pilots frontseat when the speed brake is extracted?
It's really cool to see the speedbrake "hesitate" when I use it at higher speeds, in the F-15C (FC3) the speedbrake will extract and work at nearly every speed.

And even when I raise the seat-position, I can't see the extracted brake in the upper mirror. Are the only ways to recognize a extracted speedbrake the braking speed in the HUD and the sound? (and external views?)

Sorry for probably the stupidest question of the week but this interests me. I love the planespotter-videos of landing F-15's, touching down, keeping nose up and then extracting the speed brake. I often try to land exactly this way.

Thanks and best regards!

Edited by Atari800XL

DCS MT😍, all maps except channel, FC3, F-16C Viper, F-15E, F/A-18C, AH-64D, F-5E, F-4E, P-51D, Spitfire, Fw-190D, MiG-21bis, L-39, AJS-37
Supercarrier, WWII-AP, CA, TrackIR5, F/A-18-Stick + Thrustmaster 16000, Stream Deck 8x4, 2x MFD Cougar
Ryzen9 5950X SMT off, 64GB RAM, RTX 4070 SUPER TI, UWQHD 3440x1440, Win11+DCS from separate M.2

Thank you, I inspected every corner of the cockpit with fixed TrackIR and maximum zoom ... and found nothing 😉

DCS MT😍, all maps except channel, FC3, F-16C Viper, F-15E, F/A-18C, AH-64D, F-5E, F-4E, P-51D, Spitfire, Fw-190D, MiG-21bis, L-39, AJS-37
Supercarrier, WWII-AP, CA, TrackIR5, F/A-18-Stick + Thrustmaster 16000, Stream Deck 8x4, 2x MFD Cougar
Ryzen9 5950X SMT off, 64GB RAM, RTX 4070 SUPER TI, UWQHD 3440x1440, Win11+DCS from separate M.2

10 hours ago, Atari800XL said:

Hi everyone,

Is it in the real F-15E so, that I have no lights or other feedback in the pilots frontseat when the speed brake is extracted?
It's really cool to see the speedbrake "hesitate" when I use it at higher speeds, in the F-15C (FC3) the speedbrake will extract and work at nearly every speed.

And even when I raise the seat-position, I can't see the extracted brake in the upper mirror. Are the only ways to recognize a extracted speedbrake the braking speed in the HUD and the sound? (and external views?)

Sorry for probably the stupidest question of the week but this interests me. I love the planespotter-videos of landing F-15's, touching down, keeping nose up and then extracting the speed brake. I often try to land exactly this way.

Thanks and best regards!

No light in the real jet.  It’s a huge “barn door”.  You can hear it, feel it, and see it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

also... YOUR THUMB is currently holding it open! 

so, kinesthetic feedback would probably be a good indication that the speedbrake is employed 

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, SDsc0rch said:

also... YOUR THUMB is currently holding it open! 

so, kinesthetic feedback would probably be a good indication that the speedbrake is employed 

Sb does not require SB to be held open manually.  Switch has static switch positions to freeze speedbrake in place.

19 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Sb does not require SB to be held open manually.  Switch has static switch positions to freeze speedbrake in place.

i'm curious --- is that how the SB functions in real world??

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the DCS F-15E, there are separate controls for the speed brake that you can choose from depending on your controls and the type of switch you want to bind it to: momentary (what I use on my Virpil CMP3 throttle for example), or a 3-position switch that holds in place and you have to put back to centre yourself (such as the TM Warthog throttle).

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

As thought, I just timed it.  It takes roughly 3-4 seconds to deploy and 7-8 to retract.  Me, I'll just count whilst pressing the button.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

13 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Its roughly 2 and 5...so you must be counting a bit fast

Wouldn't deny that.  After all, I was in a jet fighter...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.