Upgrading to this module

Hi all,

I'm looking to return to DCS after a very long while. Apologies if this has been covered to death but I'm confused and can't find clarity on this:

I have the original standalone A10C module and am looking to upgrade to the Tank Killer module. If I look in the ED products, all I see is a full module for $79.99 (currently $39.99 on what I assume is the summer special). In my currency that equates to ZAR 752.05.

If I look on steam, there is a Tank Killer upgrade for ZAR 255.49

How do I get the standalone upgrade? 

1 hour ago, Col.Flanders said:

There used to be a discounted upgrade option to the A-10C II module for owners of the legacy A-10C module for 10$ initially and 20$ later on.

I'm not certain that this discounted upgrade is still available, but you can find that out easily.

Important distinction: if you've purchased the old A-10C module via Steam, the discounted upgrade is only available via Steam. If you're purchased the old A-10C module at ED's own e-shop, the discounted upgrade is only available via the e-shop.

Let's say you got the A-10C via ED's e-shop: When you log in to your DCS account, put the upgrade into the shopping basket and proceed to checkout (one step short of actually purchasing). If the discounted upgrade is still available, it should show the discounted price and you can go ahead and purchase it.

Just in case the discounted update is no longer available, the summer sale right now is a good opportunity to get it for a relatively moderate price. 😉

Either way, the A-10C II module includes the complete old A-10C module and you'll then have access to both aircraft, all their content and all their missions. The only question is if you can get it with a big discount. 😉

Edited by Yurgon

8 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

There used to be a discounted upgrade option to the A-10C II module for owners of the legacy A-10C module for 10$ initially and 20$ later on.

I'm not certain that this discounted upgrade is still available, but you can find that out easily.

Important distinction: if you've purchased the old A-10C module via Steam, the discounted upgrade is only available via Steam. If you're purchased the old A-10C module at ED's own e-shop, the discounted upgrade is only available via the e-shop.

Let's say you got the A-10C via ED's e-shop: When you log in to your DCS account, put the upgrade into the shopping basket and proceed to checkout (one step short of actually purchasing). If the discounted upgrade is still available, it should show the discounted price and you can go ahead and purchase it.

Just in case the discounted update is no longer available, the summer sale right now is a good opportunity to get it for a relatively moderate price. 😉

Either way, the A-10C II module includes the complete old A-10C module and you'll then have access to both aircraft, all their content and all their missions. The only question is if you can get it with a big discount. 😉

Thanks for the response. My DCS is the non-steam version. When I add to cart, it shows as the expected advertised price. I guess my question is; is there a direct ED standalone equivalent of this specific steam offering:

Quite a difference in price, discounts considered. 

steam_dcs.jpg

56 minutes ago, Col.Flanders said:

Thanks for the response. My DCS is the non-steam version. When I add to cart, it shows as the expected advertised price. I guess my question is; is there a direct ED standalone equivalent of this specific steam offering:

It sounds like since you got the Steam version of A-10C originally, you'd need to get the upgrade to A-10CII on Steam as well, not the ED store, since only Steam has the record of you purchasing the original.

Not a big deal, just do it and then link your Steam account to your ED account and you'll have the licenses to use in the standalone version in addition.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

It sounds like since you got the Steam version of A-10C originally, you'd need to get the upgrade to A-10CII on Steam as well, not the ED store, since only Steam has the record of you purchasing the original.

Not a big deal, just do it and then link your Steam account to your ED account and you'll have the licenses to use in the standalone version in addition.

Hey, and thanks for the reply.

That's the thing - I've never made a DCS purchase through steam or downloaded any content. All of my modules are purchased through the ED store. I just searched steam to see if such a thing existed there after I was unable to find it on ED store (the upgrade only, not the full Tank Killer module). I'm now very hesitant to go purchasing modules/upgrades through steam as I assumed this would be incompatible.

12 minutes ago, Col.Flanders said:

Hey, and thanks for the reply.

That's the thing - I've never made a DCS purchase through steam or downloaded any content. All of my modules are purchased through the ED store. I just searched steam to see if such a thing existed there after I was unable to find it on ED store (the upgrade only, not the full Tank Killer module). I'm now very hesitant to go purchasing modules/upgrades through steam as I assumed this would be incompatible.

Oh... that's....weird?  I thought it would only show up on Steam if you bought the A-10C originally there (whether you ever downloaded it or not).  I suspect if you tried to buy it on Steam and didn't have the A-10C Steam license, it wouldn't let you do it.

As far as I can tell, the upgrade is no longer offered in the ED store, I couldn't find it there either.  Now that you mention it, I thought I recall hearing something about that.

I recall when it first was offered as an upgrade it was $20 USD for only a while.  At $40 USD on sale, it's not too far off.

Edit: but for reference, yes, you can buy any license on Steam and just connect your Steam account to your ED account to use it on the non-steam DCS application

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Oh... that's....weird?  I thought it would only show up on Steam if you bought the A-10C originally there.

As far as I can tell, the upgrade is no longer offered in the ED store, I couldn't find it there either.  Now that you mention it, I thought I recall hearing something about that.

I recall when it first was offered as an upgrade it was $20 USD for only a while.  At $40 USD on sale, it's not too far off.

So the upgrade option is only available on steam I assume? Well, that sucks.

5 hours ago, Col.Flanders said:

The Steam screenshot clearly states:

This product only available to customers who already own DCS: A-10C Warthog

Since you haven't purchased the A-10C Warthog on Steam, you are simply not eligible for that particular upgrade offering.

On a different note, Steam may or may not calculate prices in your local currency the same way ED does in the e-shop; it may turn out to be beneficial to purchase via Steam after all, depending on exchange rates.

4 hours ago, Col.Flanders said:

So the upgrade option is only available on steam I assume? Well, that sucks.

Just to reiterate: whether it's called "upgrade" or not, the product is always the absolute exact same. The only difference is: the upgrade is available at a discounted price (if it is available at all; you'll only find that out in the DCS e-shop).

And to be fair, the A-10C II module was released in September of 2020. I'm not sure how long the upgrade was officially available in the DCS e-shop, but there was plenty of time to get it at a fantastic discount. But even at 40 $ it's actually quite the bargain now during the summer sale!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Techmonkey said:

Did you try to upgrade within the DCS client? 

When I recently upgraded my A10, the in game shop offered an upgrade for 19.99$, and I was redirected to the web browser where I could upgrade it for the aforementioned amount. 

I did try this, thanks.

9 hours ago, Yurgon said:

The Steam screenshot clearly states:

Since you haven't purchased the A-10C Warthog on Steam, you are simply not eligible for that particular upgrade offering.

On a different note, Steam may or may not calculate prices in your local currency the same way ED does in the e-shop; it may turn out to be beneficial to purchase via Steam after all, depending on exchange rates.

Just to reiterate: whether it's called "upgrade" or not, the product is always the absolute exact same. The only difference is: the upgrade is available at a discounted price (if it is available at all; you'll only find that out in the DCS e-shop).

And to be fair, the A-10C II module was released in September of 2020. I'm not sure how long the upgrade was officially available in the DCS e-shop, but there was plenty of time to get it at a fantastic discount. But even at 40 $ it's actually quite the bargain now during the summer sale!

I have a few other modules so getting a steam version now would probably be a mistake. Unfortunately only installed DCS again now and was not aware of the module. I suppose steam just kept the "upgrade" option longer than ED's store. 

On 6/30/2023 at 8:01 PM, Col.Flanders said:

Hi all,

I'm looking to return to DCS after a very long while. Apologies if this has been covered to death but I'm confused and can't find clarity on this:

I have the original standalone A10C module and am looking to upgrade to the Tank Killer module. If I look in the ED products, all I see is a full module for $79.99 (currently $39.99 on what I assume is the summer special). In my currency that equates to ZAR 752.05.

If I look on steam, there is a Tank Killer upgrade for ZAR 255.49

Take the A-10C II Tank Killer and forget about the old A-10C, you have an HMCS helmet, I guess the old A-10C will be retired anyway, that's the reality, there is no logic in keeping both A-10Cs, but the original A-10A is already something secondly, his remaining in the service of DCS is more realistic.It would be good if with the new updates all the skins from the old A-10C to the upgraded A-10C II would also be transferred,a few were already added with the last update 2.8.4.39731...

Edited by Dragan

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I got the Sinai map and the Tank Killer II module through the ED store. The aircraft module ended up being $14.99 USD after using Growling Sidewinder's promo code. I'm not sure how that worked out but perhaps the system knows I own the original A-10C and combined with summer special discount and GS's promo. I'm really happy with that.

Big shout out to GS for breaking my procrastinate ways and luring me back into the sim with his great content!

Edited by Col.Flanders
  • Like 2