How different is the Huey to fly now?

Gunfreak

I haven't actually flown the Huey since the big engine change.

I'm no Huey expert. I fly it on semi regular basis and haven't done deep dives into anything. I just fly it and can do the basics.

I've made myself a new Huey mission. But is it now so different I should relearn to fly it?

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Personally, the only big thing I noticed when the engine model changed is I no longer have to babysit the exhaust gas temperature. With the new model, a lot of people have had trouble popping the rotor off when exceeding the torque limit. Keeping torque (mostly) below the redline and avoiding violent control inputs when near the line have made that a non-issue for me.

I am not a real pilot so I have no idea if the old or new engine model is more realistic, but it's definitely still fun to fly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As you I am no Expert. Some people here have added Very good Facts backed up with data. As for me a long time Huey flying Fan I think and feel the Tail Rotor Pedals input needs more work. and the only other thing I can add is something seams to be wrong at the point of forward movement transition to a zero forward movement hover. I feel the lift or ballooning effect at this point is wrong and then the other problem of total loss of all lift at this point as you fall in a flat spin to the ground but get no crash but go into a hover on ground effect. It is a strange and unique event others admitted having and I honestly do not know how or what will trigger this problem. It is almost like a Downdraft altitude loss I experienced in the USAF riding in cargo planes going TDY from place to place.The last fix came out and has the Collective and throttle dialed in better.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:20 PM, DishDoggie said:

I feel the lift or ballooning effect at this point is wrong and then the other problem of total loss of all lift at this point as you fall in a flat spin to the ground but get no crash but go into a hover on ground effect.

Hey DishDoggie.

I've not tried the new Huey yet, and I've not flown a real one, but have flown Bell 47's, 206's etc.

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but when transitioning from the hover to forward flight, there is a distinct phase of the transition called "flapback" which could be the ballooning you describe. This is a real thing and will happen in any machine to my knowledge, and it requires a very positive forward push on the cyclic. It's caused by the change of airflow through the disc as you start moving forward.

Also, during the transition, particularly at heavy weights, or on uneven surfaces, you can sort of "fall off" the cushion that is the ground effect, usually though you're either into or just about to hit translational lift, and that reduces the power required and you can climb away.

I hope that sheds some light anyway.

• Like 2

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

7 hours ago, Grievo said:

Hey DishDoggie.

I've not tried the new Huey yet, and I've not flown a real one, but have flown Bell 47's, 206's etc.

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but when transitioning from the hover to forward flight, there is a distinct phase of the transition called "flapback" which could be the ballooning you describe. This is a real thing and will happen in any machine to my knowledge, and it requires a very positive forward push on the cyclic. It's caused by the change of airflow through the disc as you start moving forward.

Also, during the transition, particularly at heavy weights, or on uneven surfaces, you can sort of "fall off" the cushion that is the ground effect, usually though you're either into or just about to hit translational lift, and that reduces the power required and you can climb away.

I hope that sheds some light anyway.

LOL I'm 67 years old and I can't remember the last time I Sucked Eggs but I know I have done it in my long life time. Thank you for the Fetchins Up. Try the New Huey to see what I am trying to Communicate with the Balloon effect. The only point I was trying to make was it feels over the top as in to much effect but I am like you and Have never Piloted a real Huey. Thank You for the Help and advice.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I found the huey can now cruise about 15 knots faster, lifts more easily, but as dishdoggie mentioned, the tail rotor has less influence. I'd imagine folk flying with a regular length joystick would now find flying a bit harder

I haven't seen any report of how accurate the new model is. If it is more accurate, I'm happy to keep it as is, but if it's introduced unrealistic behavior's then I hope it gets fixed 🙂

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 1

The Cyclic control feels more realistic, but the paddles are totally off-limits.
In DCS, there is also a general tendency to overstretch things like settling with power or vortex ring state, which leads to several unexpected crashes during the landing, even with forward speed. 
More power is also not noticeable in any flight conditions.
So when it comes to power settings, there is still a lot of work to do. Torque has strange indications, TOT as well.
Also, many things are broken now. Engine start, for example. You need to hold the starter button only to about 15%, then the engine is running by itself, which is not correct.
There is still no needle split when you close the throttle during flight to ground idle. 
Even if you switch off the fuel pump, RPM remains until you lower collective, and after 2 or 3 seconds, you get the needle split. 
If something breaks during flight, the chances to bring the aircraft to the ground safely are now close to zero.

So the possibility to use the old flight model is very appreciated. For me personally, it is hard to understand why the new flight model, with all its obvious flaws, is even in the beta for testing. But the fact that it is the Beta needs to be reminded, and there may be a reason we do not know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Always happy landings ;)

• 7 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:57 AM, CHPL said:

So the possibility to use the old flight model is very appreciated. For me personally, it is hard to understand why the new flight model, with all its obvious flaws, is even in the beta for testing. But the fact that it is the Beta needs to be reminded, and there may be a reason we do not know.

I too am grateful that the old engine model is still in the game by editing the FMOptions file.  After the last update I forgot to change it, and decided to try it out again for a while.  It seems awful compared to the old model, lurching about like a drunk on Bourbon Street.  Lift off, then use aggressive right pedal, jam the collective down or you shoot up 300 feet.  Slowing down get ready to go full left pedal and yank the collective back up.  It just seems terrible.  I hope the real Huey doesn't fly like this and eventually it will get straightened out.  

• Like 2

Am 13.4.2024 um 06:32 schrieb Lasko:

I too am grateful that the old engine model is still in the game by editing the FMOptions file.  After the last update I forgot to change it, and decided to try it out again for a while.  It seems awful compared to the old model, lurching about like a drunk on Bourbon Street.  Lift off, then use aggressive right pedal, jam the collective down or you shoot up 300 feet.  Slowing down get ready to go full left pedal and yank the collective back up.  It just seems terrible.  I hope the real Huey doesn't fly like this and eventually it will get straightened out.  

Unfortunately, because it is a helicopter, we need to be patient. Don't expect any change soon or in 2024. :wallbash: :cry_2:

• Like 1

Always happy landings ;)