Major Flight stability bug

Shinbet

My F15E is very unstable in the air, any small stick Input and the jet goes nuts, elevator ossolating, yawing, very easy to wing bend and over G, the stability with wing bend is worse than normal, my CAS is obviously on, my stick is properly tuned, cannot fly straight whatsoever, pretty bad flight model bug

anyone else have this problem because some people in the server I play on are also complaining of the same issue 

4YA_Aerobatics_Online_Caucasus_Beta_V2.40_[01_SUNRISE]-20230724-143239.trk

Edited by Shinbet
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Shinbet said:

My F15E is completely unstable in the air, any small stick Input and the jet goes nuts, elevator ossolating, yawing, very easy to wing bend and over G, the stability with wing bend is worse than normal, my CAS is obviously on, my stick is properly tuned, cannot fly straight whatsoever, pretty much an  unflyable flight model bug

anyone else have this problem because some people in the server I play on are also complaining of the same issue 

Check for double bindings, because mine is rock solid and very precise in all axes.

• Like 2

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Can confirm. Something is still wrong with weight, inertias, or base FM logic. At some point in flight, the aircraft becomes super twitchy and unstable, usually at Winchester. It's as if extra weight is being removed from some component and creating negative mass.

Edited by FusRoPotato

Can confirm as well and interesting point about the Winchester. It recently happened to me after cleaning the jet off of munitions and being around 5000 pounds during air to air refueling. Any pitch input would send the aircraft oscillating like crazy. I then reloaded a scenario I made to practice AAR with 10,000 pounds or so and the aircraft was fine.

47 minutes ago, Yeti_JTF111 said:

I then reloaded a scenario I made to practice AAR

At what speed was the tanker set in both scenarios? I did notice that the (lack of) stability varies wildly based on which speed you're refuelling at: even small changes on the pitch ratio indicator have seriously noticeable impacts on flight stability. There's quite the difference between tanking at 280KIAS and 320KIAS.
That being said, I also have a 20cm extension and I don't use any curves. 

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Something is definitely causing more weight to be shaved off from the aircraft after weapons drops or something similar.

Me and WSO did 3-4 sorties dropping GBU-24s, each one increased the airframe performance gradually and substantially.

By the 5th takeoff, we could go 90 degrees nose up with 24,000 lbs of fuel and 3 GBU-24s onboard, and easily accelerate to Mach 1.

In level flight we could get from 300 knots to 600 in just 2-3 seconds. Felt like we were in Ace Combat.

We didn't last much longer because the flight model goes out the window, so we got into an uncontrollable pitch oscillation and I blacked out permanently, forcing the WSO to eject us.

tl;dr, yes there is definitely something VERY messed up with the flight model right now. My initial thoughts are that dropping weapons is subtracting more weight than it should, but it needs more testing.

Edited by tae.

I was just able to reproduce this PURELY on the ground by doing the following:

1. Rearm with just three fuel tanks (wings+centerline)
2. Emergency Jettison
3. Repeat 4-5 times

If you do it more than 5 times the flight model will break so badly that you will black out on the ground and the jet will explode and be catapulted many miles away.

Will post track shortly.

Edited by tae.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, McCloud said:

I'm still getting the wibbly wobbly in the air. Full AA setup with three bags.

The problem persists even when ii reset the CAS. Trying to land is iffy at best.

If you added the external fuel tanks with a re-arm, their weight is not being calculated at all. This bug is not fixed yet and should be fixed in the next patch as Smiley mentions above.

The current workaround is to have the external fuel tanks on the jet at the start of the mission. If that's not a possibility, then recommend to not use them at all.

A fun little side note, is that after flying the jet for almost two weeks with this workaround now, I can pretty confidently say it has been a bug since release. The jet handles WAY differently with the workaround. A lot less "crazy" performance, and much more in line with the other aircraft in DCS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1