Dual Purpose Naval Guns

MBot

This is an old request of mine which I keep depositing every few years. Most of the high caliber naval guns in DCS should be dual purpose, capable to engage both surface and air targets. I would like  to see DP naval guns engage aircraft and missiles with time fused or VT shells.

Now that the land based KS-19 AA-gun is in the game, the code might be there to make the naval guns anti-air capable finally.

• Like 6

+99999

Funnily enough, Mk 38, Bofors 40, CIWS' and numerous other guns have been dual-purpose in DCS for as long as I can remember (even for systems that shouldn't like the Phalanx Block 1 on the Forrestal), though maybe there's the issue of the AI being able to select different ammunition types (and at the moment, only generic point-detonating HE rounds are available for naval guns).

EDIT: There is a larger calibre naval gun in DCS that is dual-purpose - the 3"/50 Mk 20 and 5"/38 Mk 12 guns on the LS Samuel Chase. However, it only appears to have a time fuse shell available (leading to airbursts against surface targets). If we had the various round types available (or at least the fuses, as sometimes a projectile will be common, just fitted with different fuses) and the AI was able to select which it should use based on the target, we'd be catered for (of course providing that projectiles can utilise proximity fuses and not just time fuses).

Edited by Northstar98
Addendum
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

21 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

though maybe there's the issue of the AI being able to select different ammunition types

That may be one of the problems. The 57mm AK-725 on the new Ropucha class in DCS actually engage both air and surface targets and in either case it uses the same ammunition. Which is fine as the AK-725 only has impact fused shells. But it shows that dual purpose in DCS is possible in principle.

Another problem may be that DCS cannot handle proximity fuses for shells. Some DP naval guns shoot time fused anti-air shells though, which already exist in DCS.

• Like 2

My wish list for naval assets would be the following

dual-purpose guns as requested,

The ability to alter missile and ammo load out

This goes for all artillery the ability to work with a spotter.

Formations- this would be nice to at least have them keep in a formation

The ability to preload landing craft with troops and vehicles 

Make amphibious warfare ships a spawning point for landing craft and amphibious vehicles. 

More ships- some that I can name on the of my head

USSR / Russia- 

Udaloy and Sovremny class destroyers

Kiev-class Vtol carrier

Ivan Rogov and other amphibious assault ships

---------------------------------------------------

China-

Lailong

Type 55

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Navy- late cold war

Knox class Frigate

Spruance and kid-class destroyers

The Long Beach or other CGNs

1980s Iowa class battleships

Vietnam

a top request here is an angled deck Essex class aircraft carrier

Galveston-class cruisers

WWII and Korea-

the Marianas and D-day invasion fleets, Des Moines class heavy-cruisers and while they only saw action in Okinawa I would like the Alaska class-battle cruisers

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Royal Navy-

Anything that isn't being added in the South Atlantic map

I'd love to have the Ark Royal carrier battle group and the D-day invasion fleet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan-

the Marianas fleet

------------------------------------------------

Germany-

Bismark class battleships 

Pocket battleships

in short anything WW II so we can have a what if 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 1:23 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

The problem has the lack of info.

While there isn't much for Western guns (you can typically found round designations but not specifications on the fusing (for the most part)), ru.wikipedia does seem to have some fuse specifics for the Soviet/Russian naval guns featured in DCS:

• AK-100:
    • UOF-58: HEF projectile with 1.53 kg (of presumably AI-X-2) explosive, V-429 impact fuse.
    • UZS-58: AA projectile with DVM-60M1 time fuse.
    • UZS-58R: AA projectile with AR-32 radar fuse (set to trigger at 5 m against missiles and 10 m against aircraft).
  • AK-130:
    • F-44: HE projectile with 3.56 kg (of presumably AI-X-2) explosive, 4MRM impact fuse.
    • ZS-44: AA projectile with 3.56 kg (of presumably AI-X-2) explosive, DVM-60M1 time fuse.
    • ZS-44R: AA projectile with 3.56 kg (of presumably AI-X-2) explosive, AR-32 radar proximity fuse (triggers at 8 m when fired against missiles, triggers at 15 m against aircraft).
  • AK-176*:
    • UZSB-62RP: AA ZS-62 projectile w/ 400 g of AI-X-2 explosive, AR-51L radar proximity fuse which triggers <= 8 m from the target.
    • UOFB-62: HEF OF-62 projectile w/ 480 g of AI-X-2 explosive, point detonating fuse which self-destructs after 28-31 s

*Note, while the link for the AK-176 is actually for the AK-726, they allegedly share the same ammunition.

EDIT: Found information on the OTO Melara 76 mm/62 Compact [Mark 75], the AA round that it uses is the IM84 HE-PFF with 0.76 kg of composition B explosive, VTPA FB76 radar proximity fuse (which also supports point-detonation and self-destruction), which triggers 6 m from the target and nominally self-destructs after 25 s. This fuse can also used on the 76 mm L62 HE round.

Edited by Northstar98
Added 76 mm/62 OTO Melara Compact
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.