Interview with Matt "Wags" Wagner

Hiob

vor 32 Minuten schrieb MAXsenna:

You're ripe for Cold War jets then, which for even RedFor should be quite doable, and a few is already incoming. emoji1695.png

Im super excited for the F-4, but I suspect that plane will be very complicated from all Ive see and read 😅

Which tbf im fine with, I dont limit myself to simple planes or anything. Cant wait to dive into the Phantoms bombing computer!

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

Im super excited for the F-4, but I suspect that plane will be very complicated from all Ive see and read
Which tbf im fine with, I dont limit myself to simple planes or anything. Cant wait to dive into the Phantoms bombing computer!
Yeah, it's gotta be a lot of work, but hopefully well worth it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

vor 9 Minuten schrieb MAXsenna:

Yeah, it's gotta be a lot of work, but hopefully well worth it.

Compared to table bombing, its probably a lot less work to get a bomb on target 😄 

Already read up a bunch about it. The WRCS modes actually seem really powerful, it has "ground lockon" modes like A-4 mod, but even with offset for horizontal bombing and stuff. Really impressive stuff.

Also even on the '75 F-4, it should be integrated with ground radar and Pave Spike pod. Even got an AGM-65 handoff function via pod. Its crazy how much technology they crammed into that plane and its partially analogue computers. Its almost like a proto-F18.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hiob said:

Why wouldn't they? They are aviation enthusiasts (obviously) and (young) men. Why wouldn't they enjoy the most sophisticated combat flight simulator - even if it is just a game? Probably because it is just a game - and therefore a recreational activity (not to mention the content for their youtube-channels).

And of course Wags is careful and diplomatic about it. Do you expect him to bluntly alienate their customers (or some of them)?

Do you have noticed that mover, gonky and wombat are real jet pilots? When I read these lines seems like that to me as you missed that... Did you ever fly in real? However

Edited by umland

10 minutes ago, umland said:

Do you have noticed that mover, gonky and wombat are real jet pilots? When I read these lines seems like that to me... Do you ever fly in real? However

Oh boy.....🙃 .... I don't even know how to answer that..... That is the whole point here! That is why their input has any value in the first place. 

That is why they know exactly, no matter how good the game simulate anything  it doesn't even come close to the real experience. It just can't. And that is why the whole orthodoxly discussion how "realistic" this or that "gamey" feature is, is utterly pointless.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

5 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Oh boy.....🙃 .... I don't even know how to answer that..... That is the whole point here! That is why their input has any value in the first place. 

That is why they know exactly, no matter how good the game simulate anything  it doesn't even come close to the real experience. It just can't. And that is why the whole orthodoxly discussion how "realistic" this or that "gamey" feature is, is utterly pointless.

sure they know -  they were/are pilots not "They are aviation enthusiasts (obviously) and (young) men". 
This sounds as they are privat pilots or teenager who never saw a F16 / F18.... 
ok enough - senseless... Thx

19 minutes ago, umland said:

Do you have noticed that mover, gonky and wombat are real jet pilots? When I read these lines seems like that to me as you missed that... Do you ever fly in real? However

Not sure if you´ve seen their videos before ... but calling DCS a game is kind of a running gag, at least on Movers channel, hence his reaction when Wags called it a "sim game"

They consider it a game and made that clear in previous videos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Eugel said:

Exactly! Thank you!

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

11 minutes ago, Eugel said:

Not sure if you´ve seen their videos before ... but calling DCS a game is kind of a running gag, at least on Movers channel, hence his reaction when Wags called it a "sim game"

so last one - If they talked that BVR is close to real and they have to be careful.. Also they removed Features from the Apache64 as it was not public...
I wont say its only a game. But we can discuss this until the end of the world. We all have different opinions...

Edited by umland

vor 17 Minuten schrieb umland:

so last one - If they talked that BVR is close to real and they have to be careful.. Also they removed Features from the Apache64 as it was not public...
I wont say its only a game. But we can discuss this until the end of the world. We all have different opinions...

You can talk a lot about it, but I feel the unspoken thing is more, why do you say "only a game"? Im just reading into those comments obviously, but often it feels like theres a reluctance in accepting in saying that its play.

Like, DCS doesnt become less valuable when we admit its a game. When we admit that were playing a game, that were roleplaying a video game fantasy thats not real at all. It doesnt change how close we get to reality, its always a game.

People dont just become adults and lose their sense of playfulness, or the need to play. And even the "real jet pilots" dont do that, pretty much nobody becomes a pilot without doing it for fun, besides other things. Just look at the podcast, all those real plots having a sense of humor and joking around, while talking about a game. And theres nothing wrong or to be ashamed about that.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, umland said:

I wont say its only a game

You rather gave an anwser to yourself: as there have been removed those things that may lead to far to reality you end with a game and nothing more. Call it a sim game, but it remains a game -  full stop. If one wants to get how a real F-16, F-18, Tornado etc. works, apply for an airforce that provides those aircraft, go through everything to learn the stuff and you have the reality.

Why do even professional pilots like those 'sim' games? I just can guess, but I am quite sure, because it entertains them on a very high level as it does for most of us. And e.g. a professional civil pilot I personally know (rated for i.a. A-340) uses one of those top notch civil sim games - that is public available but not meant for entertainment purpose - mainly to fly those type of aircraft he has no access or isn't rated to and have fun with that. Plus he maybe checks-out sometimes routes and procedures to new or old airports that he isn't any longer well familiar with. Because using the real procedures, maps etc. and applying this at his privat PC to a very well simulated surrounding gives him a good additional impression besides the plain boring paper work studies. But he would never train for a rating etc. with the sim aircrafts, because the real thing is still quite different even if some simulations come really close nowadays.

So like it or not: DCS is and remains (at least for us - professional customers are another thing) a game for flight simulation and reaches for study level on its simulated aircraft.

• Like 2

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

vor einer Stunde schrieb Slippa:

Like it or not, I call it a simulator. 🙂

a Digital Combat Simulator.

As long as youre not claiming its a military simulation, rather than a video game sim for entertainment, I dont think people would disagree 😏

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 6:26 PM, IndyNavy said:

So any status on T.R. Matson being the voice actor as the airboss for DCS: Supercarrier? 

In the last Mover and Gonky show, (ep. #13 IIRC), WOMBAT said they are working on getting everything ready. No mention on a time frame though.

I would not call it official, but he sounded pretty confident this was happening.

Edit: Yeah, here it is...

https://youtu.be/VHkYLgCJeJw?t=4266

Edited by Daemoc

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z