Is VR working worse now than a few months ago?

CommandT

Hi all,

Haven't used my VR headset (reverb G2) since before MT implementation. Been messing about with it today and noticed that:

1. Using the MT .exe I seem to get a few more stutters here and there and performance drops in certain areas compared to what I used to get before. Marianas islands map in particular became a slideshow which was not the case at all before when I last used my VR headset a few months back.

2. Using the regular (non-MT) .exe - VR is impossible. It seems to run in a much higher resolution despite all settings being the same for both .exe's?? And stutters like crazy... presumable because for whatever reason it's running a much higher resolution. But I don't get why? I checked the DPI in the DCS VR settings and it's the same... so I'm kind of confused what is going on?

Cheers!

Hi,

without any hint of your used hardware, DCS system settings, DCS Open Beta or Stable, what tools you are using, how you start VR, and so on, you will not get any good answer soon.

So I guess the right answer will be 42, as always. 😉

It sounds so, you need to do all the stuff you should do every time you run into trouble with DCS (slow repair, delete the metashaders2 and fxo folders, reset OpenXR Toolkit (if used) and so on).

If you have already done this, we need !much! more info to help you.

• Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

There are several.months worth of implemental changes, discussions and solutions for lots of VR related issues. As well as continuing debates about whether VR is better with MT or not. I would advise having a look at the various threads relating to MT and VR. The good news is you can get DCS to run well in VR with MT. As Nedum says, this is a personal experience so knowing your setup would help. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

11 hours ago, CommandT said:

2. Using the regular (non-MT) .exe - VR is impossible. It seems to run in a much higher resolution despite all settings being the same for both .exe's?? And stutters like crazy... presumable because for whatever reason it's running a much higher resolution. But I don't get why? I checked the DPI in the DCS VR settings and it's the same... so I'm kind of confused what is going on?

I couldn´t get DCS to start in VR with the MT version, so I just kept using Steam VR and it works absolutely fine. Rendering in higher resolution is also normal to compensate for barrel distortion. But that has always been the case and did not change with the MT update.

It´s also no problem to set the render resolution to something closer to the G2´s native resolution.

• ED Team

Hi, 

if you are having issues I would suggest attach your dcs log and screenshots of your dcs setting and VR settings, we may be able to assist. 

In answer to the title, I have not seen any decrease in performance with VR, but this will depend heavily on your system, settings, and how busy the mission is so we need to see data to try and assist people who are having issues. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

There's several parts that make VR work well with DCS. The main one is mbucchia if it wasn't for him it would be "NOT' as good. I personally am running DCS and VR with no issues as of today/now. But it is what it is and ain't what it ain't. People get to hooked up on FPS and Frametimes .... get it close and just fly !

M2C

• Like 3

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

13 hours ago, CommandT said:

Using the MT .exe I seem to get a few more stutters here and there and performance drops in certain areas compared to what I used to get before

Absolute reverse experience.  I have been steadily keeping track of performance since 2.7 and the sim has been getting better and better even though new stuff/features has been added.  We did have a drop with shadows at one point but prerformance now is better.  I would agree with most here as to your issue is not the sim but settings...  

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Overall, I have to agree with the sentiment here; perf with MT has definitely improved. In ST I’m getting a GPU frame time of around 8ms whereas in MT I’m getting 5/6ms (this is just a free flight mission in the PG map). I suggest deleting the original install and downloading a new copy.

I will however say that I’m getting pretty evident microstutters in MT that aren’t present in the ST version. The only way around this is to use Turbo Mode but that has its own issues 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

• 2 weeks later...

I have uncheck some parameters that I had configured in Windows, such as the "GPU hardware acceleration" and the "Variable refresh rate", that is in Windows 11. Within DCS I have unchecked ,in config VR window, the option "Use the same resolution that DCS ". On my AMD 5800X and RTX 3090 system the stuttering has decreased significantly. I don't know if this will have the same result on other systems. I use Turbo Mode in ON.

I forgot to say to also enable "Optimize for Performance" mode in WMR. You will notice how the three spinning balls change size while loading DCS but that does not prevent DCS from displaying quality in my G2.

Edited by Silver_