Dual factor authentication for free trials?

Beirut

41 minutes ago, Temetre said:

In the meanwhile, I never ever had a problem with an account (connected to paid content) getting stolen, in my entire life.

Me neither, but that is irrelevant. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all. I also never won the lottery or got struck by lightning - and likely never will. Still people win the lottery and get struck by lightning frequently (on a larger scale).

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2FA is required for our free trials, we understand for some it is an inconvenience however due to abuse of our system by some people we have had to add the verification process. 

How did they abuse it? Created multiple accounts?

25 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Are you suggesting they actually tell you? 😉 

Cheers! 

Well, if 2FA fixed the problem... why not?  

btw, I miss the Lockon era 'starforce' and the drama, lol.   Now google is my almighty starforce. 

On 2/3/2024 at 3:44 PM, MAXsenna said:

Are you suggesting they actually tell you? 😉 

Cheers! 

No, I was thinking if that is the case, then one possibility would be to allow testing for free if you already bought something from ED.

3 hours ago, armageddon said:

No, I was thinking if that is the case, then one possibility would be to allow testing for free if you already bought something from ED.

If you search the forum, this topic has been discussed extensively already.  But even if someone has bought ONE module from ED, what's to stop them from abusing the free trials for all the other modules if they allowed this?  Having to jump through a few hoops is not unreasonable considering they give you FULL access (not limited in any way like a lot of games do) to the module for 2 weeks every 6 months.  IMHO that's pretty generous.  The alternative is they take away the trials altogether.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rob10 said:

If you search the forum, this topic has been discussed extensively already.  But even if someone has bought ONE module from ED, what's to stop them from abusing the free trials for all the other modules if they allowed this?  Having to jump through a few hoops is not unreasonable considering they give you FULL access (not limited in any way like a lot of games do) to the module for 2 weeks every 6 months.  IMHO that's pretty generous.  The alternative is they take away the trials altogether.

What do you mean by "abusing"? It was ED who introduced the 2 week free trials, now if someone actually tries every module you call this abusing? But if the trials didnt help to gain more profit for ED , then of course they should call that a failed experiment and remove those.

33 minutes ago, armageddon said:

if someone actually tries every module you call this abusing?

No, some users were abusing the system, meaning they used the trials without time restrictions.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, armageddon said:

What do you mean by "abusing"? It was ED who introduced the 2 week free trials, now if someone actually tries every module you call this abusing? But if the trials didnt help to gain more profit for ED , then of course they should call that a failed experiment and remove those.

What Draconus said.  If they properly use the trials for each module for only 2 weeks every 6 months that's not abuse.  Problem is that people were "gaming the system" to use the same module continuously (i.e. way more than 2 weeks) for free.  I assume they were creating multiple accounts, but I have no idea.  However it was being done ED decided 2FA was the best way to prevent this abuse but still allow trails.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 5:11 AM, Temetre said:

This also follow a path of ED that just seems disrespectful for its customers and supporters.

What a strange way to view the trial system ... I don't like the 2FA system, but I actually dont mind the trials, as I purchase almost every module anyway.  🙂

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 months later...

All i ever get is an error saying wrong number.  I've tried so many times.  How do i get it to display the correct number?  I assure you i know how to read and double check the digits :P

On 2/4/2024 at 3:05 PM, Rudel_chw said:

What a strange way to view the trial system ... I don't like the 2FA system, but I actually dont mind the trials, as I purchase almost every module anyway.  🙂

Nothing wrong with getting globally 'googlelized' 😕