Dual factor authentication for free trials?

Beirut

Not sure if this is the right place, but...

Just tried the get the Spitfire for a free trial and now it says I need dual factor authentication on my account. Not really sure what the deal is but does this mean I have to install an app on my phone just for this and does DCS want my phone number?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I dont have 2FA and recently free trialed the mb339, so I don’t think they are related.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I haven’t had to give my phone number to DCS and I wouldn’t.

I have had it bugger about asking for authentication though, I think after updating? No expert but I wouldn’t start all that messing. Out of interest, do other free trials behave the same there?

PS, bugger the trial, treat yourself, it’s a legend :pilotfly:

Good luck sorting it out.

• Like 1

I haven't seen this request before and I've done lots of free trials. Just saw it an hour ago for the first time.

As below:

To participate in Free Trials please enable two-factor authentication in your profile

To protect the security of your account, please set up Google Authenticator. Scan the QR code below with your Google Authenticator app, then enter your verification code.

Download Google Authenticator mobile app

Choose the preferred method to receive the verification code

Scan QR code

To scan the code, bring the camera of your mobile phone to the screen and wait until the application has scanned the code.

null

Enter code manually

If you cannot scan the code, enter it manually. You will have to specify the website address, your login, the verification key, and select the key type.

Type: Time based

Enter confirmation code

Once the code has been successfully scanned or entered manually, your mobile phone will show the code you will have to enter below.

• Like 1

How to enable two-factor authentication

To enable two-factor authentication, in the personal information field on the 2FA authorization line, click Enable and follow the instructions that will be displayed on the right.

2FA.png

I think you must have enabled it in your profile?

• Like 2

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Beirut said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but...

Just tried the get the Spitfire for a free trial and now it says I need dual factor authentication on my account. Not really sure what the deal is but does this mean I have to install an app on my phone just for this and does DCS want my phone number?

Hi, 

yes two factor authentication is required to be enabled for the free trials now. 

thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

yes two factor authentication is required to be enabled for the free trials now. 

thank you

That's... unfortunate. Might be the end of free trials for me.

Oh well. Thank you for answering. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Sadly some people abuse the system so measures had to be taken. As always a small group of people make things harder for others. But we want to keep the free trials going, its great for trying before you buy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Sadly some people abuse the system so measures had to be taken. As always a small group of people make things harder for others. 

I understand, but this thing where everyone wants their stuff on your phone is getting old.

I'm certainly appreciative of the free trials, I thought it was a fantastic! thing to do, but I'm not getting my cell phone involved. 

• Like 3

• ED Team

Personally I use two factor authentication for many of my accounts, its just an extra layer of security. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

thank you

pity, I tried the ED 2FA security for a while when it first appeared and didn’t like it at all, not only it forced to have the darn phone with me everytime I play, but if my phone is ever stolen or lost I would be locked out of DCS. After about two months of using it I ended up disabling the 2FA 😞 

• Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

8 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

pity, I tried the ED 2FA security for a while when it first appeared and didn’t like it at all, not only it forced to have the darn phone with me everytime I play, but if my phone is ever stolen or lost I would be locked out of DCS. After about two months of using it I ended up disabling the 2FA 😞 

Save the "one time codes" on Onedrive.

@Beirut You don't give them your phone number. I know you use Steam. Maybe you can use the Steam Authenticator for this? And remove the codes you posted above...

I actually love that we can do this! I keep forgetting passwords all the time, because I don't make them myself like I used to. 😁
BUT it's a little annoying that it doesn't "save"/work on all browsers, so I have to have my phone/computer handy.

Cheers!

image.png

59 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Personally I use two factor authentication for many of my accounts, its just an extra layer of security. 

Which means you’re comfortable doing it.

I’m not. I have good reason not to be too but I won’t go into it here.

If I’m forced to enable this or lose the ability to trial modules I won’t be trialling any. If it’s introduced for paid modules I’ll be out altogether.

• Like 3

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

but if my phone is ever stolen or lost I would be locked out of DCS

Just to note, if this happens support will assist you, just email them with the email you use for your DCS account. 

thanks

• Like 4

Google desperately want your phone number because it helps them tie all the other things they already know about you to a device that tracks your location to within a few feet ( to a few inches in the case of Crapple phones - allegedly )
There is no end to the uses they can put this to learn more about you, which makes their data profile of you more valuable to advertisers.
Most people don't care, but then most people don't really understand the extent of Googles spying.

I am unwilling to have my very existence monetized for their own benefit by a morally bankrupt corporation, so I won't be installing their Authenticator.
If ED ever requires me to give a phone number to Google just to use DCS then I will stop using it.

• Like 7

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Google desperately want your phone number because it helps them tie all the other things they already know about you to a device that tracks your location to within a few feet ( to a few inches in the case of Crapple phones - allegedly )
There is no end to the uses they can put this to learn more about you, which makes their data profile of you more valuable to advertisers.
Most people don't care, but then most people don't really understand the extent of Googles spying.

I am unwilling to have my very existence monetized for their own benefit by a morally bankrupt corporation, so I won't be installing their Authenticator.
If ED ever requires me to give a phone number to Google just to use DCS then I will stop using it.
You don't need the Google authenticator...

https://www.g2.com/products/google-authenticator/competitors/alternatives

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

@Beirut You don't give them your phone number. I know you use Steam. Maybe you can use the Steam Authenticator for this? And remove the codes you posted above...

I actually love that we can do this! I keep forgetting passwords all the time, because I don't make them myself like I used to. 😁
BUT it's a little annoying that it doesn't "save"/work on all browsers, so I have to have my phone/computer handy.

Cheers!

Morning,

My main install  is Steam, but I have a second "main site" install just for free trials. Nothing shared between them, and they are on separate drives. I don't think there is anything I can do with Steam to affect the main site install. But I have about 25 modules on my Steam install. There must be a way for that to count so the DCS code can say "Oh yeah, that guy!" and leave my phone out of it.

The free trials are great. Especially the way they came out during the Round 1 of The Plague  ☠️ so we could all fart around with new toys while stuck at home. I thought it was really fantastic. But at this point I'll skip it. My other option is to buy a plane on Steam, I get two-hours to try it, and if I don't like it I can return it. 

Edited by Beirut
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

So what would I need then ? if it's a mobile app from big tech I'm not using it and I don't use, or particularly want Steam either.

• Like 1

There’s a standard (OATH-TOTP) for these; almost any generic authenticator app will work. This includes (among *many* others)

- google authenticator

- authy

- 1Password 

- duo mobile

it doesn’t link your phone number, regardless of which app you use

it would be nice to see support for newer standards like webauthn too in the future though (Touch ID/face id/windows hello/yubikeys)

• Like 1

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

https://www.g2.com/products/google-authenticator/competitors/alternatives

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

They all cost money, and apart from using them to jump through ED's hoop I've got no need of them.
If there are any free ones then I guarantee that it'll be me who is the product.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:10 AM, Beirut said:

Ditto.

@BIGNEWY can't ED find a way to authenticate our accounts without any external service? Can't you just send us an email with a link to click?

• ED Team

The team have decided 2FA is the best option currently. 

thank you