Stupid question on how to launch MT (from command line)

dlder

So... I fooled myself in thinking that I was running DCS in MT since it came to Stable. But... I wasn't.

The problem is: I launch DCS via Batch - with which I launch a number of apps beforehand, like Afterburner, XrNecksafer, VKB-Tools, OKB, ... - and then I launch the exe via "steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin-mt\dcs.exe"

BUT: when I go into the task manager I can see that the normal exe from "DCSWorld\bin" is running.

Only after starting it through Steam and clicking MT Preview in the pop window, the multi-threading exe is started. And now I know that in the lower right corner of the game it actually states "multithread preview".

So: is there any command line option (like for VR: "steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin-mt\DCS.exe --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR") that I can use to force the MT exe to be launched?

Thanks!

Edited by dlder
  • Like 1

OpenXR-Switcher: to easily switch OpenXR runtimes as well as en-/disable API layers

Kneeboard-Picture-Viewer: my own take on a Kneeboard for a 2nd monitor, that acts more or less as a better picture viewer.

F-15CX mod: my own take on a simple F-15C upgrade

English Avionics with Native Betty: you can now have English HUD on non US planes and still hear the native Betty!

try this:

START "" /d "E:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Openbeta\bin-mt\" "DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

but you need to replace the path with wherever your DCS MT exe is located.

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

try this:

Yeah, that's what I've always been using. But somehow Steam is deciding to launch the normal exe instead

I've now tried to set DCS to always launch in "MT Preview". So launching it through Steam always opens the MT exe. BUT doing it like this I would need to add/remove the VR-launch options every time I want to fly in either 2D or VR...

And with no Steam Launch Options, I've tried the same as before (directly starting the mt exe) and I've tried it by launching it via Steam CMD:

D:\Games\GamePortals\Steam\steam.exe -applaunch 223750 --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

But for whatever reason, this also starts the "normal" DCS exe...

So, to recap:

MT is only launching when launched directly via Steam.

NOT when launching via command line (either via "bin-mt\dcs.exe" nor via "steam.exe -applaunch)

Edited by dlder

OpenXR-Switcher: to easily switch OpenXR runtimes as well as en-/disable API layers

Kneeboard-Picture-Viewer: my own take on a Kneeboard for a 2nd monitor, that acts more or less as a better picture viewer.

English Avionics with Native Betty: you can now have English HUD on non US planes and still hear the native Betty!

i think that this is more of a steam problem. maybe it's best to ask the steam support, or ask in a steam forum/subreddit?
the issue seems to be - and i have also noticed this - that steam always intercepts the execution of an executable that is assosciated with steam. steam then seems to launch the default executable for said program.
if the problem cannot solved via steam/windows, maybe ED should make MT the (steam) default executable and have ST as a secondary option. "most" people seem to benefit from MT, so i do not see an issue with that approach.

@BIGNEWY maybe you can look into that? i suspect that quite a few people are still unknowingly playing ST even though they start the MT-executable...

• Like 1

If it really is "just" a Steam issue, then I guess we're... for lack of a better word:

Then the viable thing to do - if you play 2D and VR like I do:

• VR: set MT as default executable in Steam and add the VR launch options + launch the game via Steam
  • 2D: launch the game via commandline, forgoing the Steam option, but you'll be stuck with singlethread

@BIGNEWY I guess there is one option ED could make: a startup switch like for VR -> Steam seems to "respect" those

Edited by BIGNEWY
  • Like 1

• ED Team

As far as I am aware Steam users can only launch MT using the MT preview option in the drop down, I will ask the team. 

Hopefully soon we will be removing the ST option and we will be opening MT by default, currently it is optional. 

P.S Edited above post to remove profanity, please remember the rules here. thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

Ok, good to hear! And: thanks!

11 minutes ago, Cavemanhead said:

OK I'm a Non steam beta user. How do I verify 100 percent that I'm using the MT version of DCS?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Bottom right hand corner of your main menu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I know, it's so weird... and Steam really makes this even more complicated, because it's not a 100% clear what happens, when one starts whichever exe from the command line, when compared with the settings in the Steam launch option for DCS.

But seeing as the "force vr" command line parameters work "behind Steam", letting you play DCS in VR, even when not set so in the Steam launch options, it would most probably the best if a "launch in MT" cmd parameter exists.

• 4 weeks later...

^ Well, In that case, you're running standard ST. 

Not at my PC at the moment, but I recall there should be "MT preview" (or something) note next to the version number. Will check later once I'm back.

Edit: That's how it looks like (screen below).

Screen_231016_162634.jpg

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.